Spectra LED 290 vs Magnum 357

• Thread starter TheHybridVigor
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TheHybridVigor

LEDs are really starting to prove themselves and the Spectra LEDs (GrowLEDHydro) and Magnums seem to be at the top of the food chain right now. I've decided to go with LEDs because heat will be a huge factor for me.

Both LEDs listed are $700 and are of superior build quality, but for the same price you get an extra 100+ watts from the Spectra 290. The Magnum has the benefit of 60* LED lenses offering better penetration and control over red/blue spectrums.

I would probably run the Magnum at full power and never play with the spectrum control, but has anybody found that feature useful?

If growing in ScrOG or supercropping, penetration becomes less important, and the Spectra 290 seems like the clear cut winner. What do ya'll think?

I would love to hear the community's opinion on these two lights or comprable models.

THV

T

TheHybridVigor

Bump.

I'll post this on other forums and share any input I get, until then, any comments?

F

Field of Beans

Subscribed...I believe both panels run at 180 watts and should be a good showdown. The Magnums are now $749 and have heard import and duty charges apply on top of the panel price as they are shipped directly from Hong Kong. Both panels are still overpriced, but provide good warrantees. Pullin up a chair with the peace pipe...

J

jellyfruit

led=slow but good for veg?

Indoor growing is now and has been for decades a hid based enviroment, thank god! I have been using a 90 watt ufo and t5 fl for veg with far better results than 400 or 600 watt hps/mh hid? 2 months verses 1 to get from seed to force flower using led? It does take longer buuuut the results are greater when throwing these dogs under 1khps for the journey into Yippe!! The folks who figured out hid were the best, let us be the ones to recreate a better sun for our new genetics!!!

O

oldnug

Anyone know if i can grow 4-6 plants under either magnum 357 or spectra led 290 or blackstar 600w? Are all 3 good for a 3x3 tent with 4 plants? and which one is best?

L

ledgrowshow

Anyone know if i can grow 4-6 plants under either magnum 357 or spectra led 290 or blackstar 600w? Are all 3 good for a 3x3 tent with 4 plants? and which one is best?

The magnum will easily handle 4 - 6 plants. I just posted my grow running 12 357 magnums. I'm interested how this grow is gonna unfold, I'm subbed!

IMG 1882
Y

Yoah777

The magnum will easily handle 4 - 6 plants. I just posted my grow running 12 357 magnums. I'm interested how this grow is gonna unfold, I'm subbed!

Hey everyone just chiming in on the 357 magnum grow lights. I bought 4 of them (over $3000.00) at the time and have been very happy with them. Then my center fan failed, and only half of my red leds are lighting up on one of my lights. I've repeatedly tried to contact them as they say they come with a 3 yr. warranty, but to no avail. The phone number on their web site goes to a conference call so you can't get through that way, and their phone number at the bottom of their page isn't in service. Also they don't answer their e-mails. Try calling them yourself. I'm pretty pissed off now. Today is FEB. 4, 2015 just so everyone knows. I did find another website that they've set up that looks different than their current page (I'ts brown and very plain looking). I will continue to try to contact them for my warranty parts, and will keep you all posted as well. I really love the lights, but if the big blow-off is their way of handling warranties, i'd say look elsewhere so you don't have the same experience.

Last edited:
Full.Melt

Full.Melt

feb 15? you're way ahead of the game...lol .i wanted one of those magnums when they first came out.sucks that you can't get thru to them.i ended up going with clw,customer service is pretty good.

Y

Yoah777

clw who is that? Im curious because now i need a new light. I was looking up Advanced lights because they're made here and they have an awful lot of really good reviews. The Diamond model is what i looked up. I also Have A Growblu 720 that i really like...its 1 1/2yrs. old now, and iv'e had good luck and results with that. My bad on the date (fixed it).. i was pretty hot when i wrote that. I'll have to post a picture of the half lit leds so you can see it.

Y

Yoah777

california light works.if i buy another light i would go with area 51.clw does a great job i run 2 clw 22o's but get a little bleaching.
Yeah from my experience it seems that the led lights with UV, and Ir bleach plants easier. There seems to be a trend of the led companies moving away from the uv, and ir, and going towards having leds that cover the white spectrum's (usually rated in kalvin values). My lights do have UV, and Ir so i see it too. And also they're making cob (circuit on board) grouped led modules that blend the light before it goes through the lens instead of after. To me with the latest and greatest always coming out, it discounts some good lights that are out right now so we can get good deals on them if you know what you're looking at.

Top Bottom