Spectrum King Leds - Anybod Using These?

• Thread starter motherlode
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
km1

km1

mine is finally being used for flower...so far, flowering and quite a bit of resin..will see how they finish

D

Djloud

Spectrum kings owner is an asshat and a half and doesn't understand basics lighting and plant requirements. And is arrogant...actually it's ignorant.

Their light is average at best in it's category....which is not a 1k replacement category by any means...maybe 600 at best, if the design was better(single point spice blow...we are trying to light a whole canopy). The output numbers speak for themselves...
View attachment 497963
You can get the same fixture, with the exact same chips from 6 different Chinese manufactures...and I'm sure a few more. Alibaba it for your selfs. Or just the heatsink and reflector and put what ever you want in it. But the design is one of the biggest issues with it anyways so don't bother.

Bml used to work for illumitex. Then branched to his own company...but as you can see, the design was not left behind... after his non compete was over.
Anyways, bml uses solid Osram chips and has a nice spread. Personally their cooling is the flaw...and the newer 1000(original was the 600) is extremely hot to the touch and was hitting the 80c range when I measure it with my IR thermometer. that kind of heat isn't good for any LED performance. They even say you should add a circulation fan to direct cool the light...that part doesn't fly with me. But they are knowledgable and a better product than most lights available.
First of all thats bullshit first of all u can not get a spectrum king from china. I own 2 Spectrum kings and they have a custom chip set for a superior spectrum. And they really are very close to a 1000w replacement. I pull 1.5 a light now and i know i can pull more. Its all about using the equipment correctly

tags420

tags420

First of all thats bullshit first of all u can not get a spectrum king from china. I own 2 Spectrum kings and they have a custom chip set for a superior spectrum. And they really are very close to a 1000w replacement. I pull 1.5 a light now and i know i can pull more. Its all about using the equipment correctly
Learn your shit if you want to talk specs. It's crees stock "true white" spectrum. Mkr's whites, xpe2 630's and a dash of xpe 660's. I bought one bro.
They are finally in the same arena of output as Apache from 2012. Who is still behind the latest tech now days. Those are facts.

None of that changes what you are doing. You're doing great. No surprise you're having general success with white phosphor white leds(nothing proprietary there). Don't get stuck with a brand...get stuck on the output/efficiency. You could have ~20% more efficient than an sk. SK is middle of the road, and over priced. There are better options, and the numbers don't lie.

Junk

Junk

There are better options, and the numbers don't lie.
Curious about what you think the better options are?

I'm not being confrontational...I've seen the Sk's & liked them. But I don't get to see a lot of LED's, so I'm curious what the better options are?

About the numbers lying part. People use numbers to lie all the time....or make it so the numbers lie for them. I don't trust numbers unless I can research them myself, or if they post how they were obtained.

A fake example...& I'm being intentionally hyperbolic here...a news report could come out & intimate that law enforcement in a particular city in the US is prejudiced against Native Americans. They might accurately say "99% of all people arrested during 2012 & 2013 were Native Americans" They will then use that number to found an argument, make a point, whatever.

Then you find out that the city is an Indian reservation in North Dakota...where only Native Americans live. This example is fake, but you can see how numbers aren't telling the truth.

I look forward to your reply on the LED's...I'm truly interested because I may pick one up.

If you have extensive knowledge of many LEDs, what do you think of this guy's info? Or maybe a better way to ask is do you agree with him?

http://www.compareledgrowlights.com/comparison_to_hid/

keiksweat

keiksweat

Curious about what you think the better options are?

I'm not being confrontational...I've seen the Sk's & liked them. But I don't get to see a lot of LED's, so I'm curious what the better options are?

About the numbers lying part. People use numbers to lie all the time....or make it so the numbers lie for them. I don't trust numbers unless I can research them myself, or if they post how they were obtained.

A fake example...& I'm being intentionally hyperbolic here...a news report could come out & intimate that law enforcement in a particular city in the US is prejudiced against Native Americans. They might accurately say "99% of all people arrested during 2012 & 2013 were Native Americans" They will then use that number to found an argument, make a point, whatever.

Then you find out that the city is an Indian reservation in North Dakota...where only Native Americans live. This example is fake, but you can see how numbers aren't telling the truth.

I look forward to your reply on the LED's...I'm truly interested because I may pick one up.

If you have extensive knowledge of many LEDs, what do you think of this guy's info? Or maybe a better way to ask is do you agree with him?

http://www.compareledgrowlights.com/comparison_to_hid/
Cree cxb3590 chips,if you look on area 51 led site,there doing a panel now using these.only thing is there only 100w or so.still less than half the price of sk,and they have the best returns policy going so I hear.hope this helps pal.

Wisher619

Wisher619

@tags420 which company would you consider worthy.....for the money......
an Apache 600 is like 3k.....I see in there website that supposedly they supply NASA....but I have also found 3 other companys that supposedly supply NASA....by the way.....NASA is still in the belief that all you need is red and blue....
Apache also only shows one picture....of the Stanford Greenhouse......didnt know Stanford was really up on the old AG business.....I do know however that Cal Poly still uses Standard HID in there facilities....which is funny because not only are they leaders in Agriculture but next to MIT ....leaders in technology

tags420

tags420

Apache has plenty of work with NASA ames in san jose. Some videos on their site too. But yes, without outside sources, nasa is stuck on r/g/b.
Apache's are about the same price per watt as an SK.
SK=$1000 for 440w...=2.27$/w
Apache =$2K for 750w=2.66$/w
Much better design with the apache to maximize the potential of it. Component wise they are about the same. Apache's however, has been on the market since 2012, and is very close to an upgrade.

As far as brands out there as better or at least as good for less...
You can DIY something better than anything...cxb, vero, citizen, xt-e/xpe
Lighting science/Vividgro-https://www.lsgc.com/products/vividgro-v2-grow-fixture?variant=3852683205
BIOS-http://www.bioslighting.com/
A51-http://www.a51led.net/
BML/Fluence-https://www.fluence.science/

D

Djloud

Learn your shit if you want to talk specs. It's crees stock "true white" spectrum. Mkr's whites, xpe2 630's and a dash of xpe 660's. I bought one bro.
They are finally in the same arena of output as Apache from 2012. Who is still behind the latest tech now days. Those are facts.

None of that changes what you are doing. You're doing great. No surprise you're having general success with white phosphor white leds(nothing proprietary there). Don't get stuck with a brand...get stuck on the output/efficiency. You could have ~20% more efficient than an sk. SK is middle of the road, and over priced. There are better options, and the numbers don't lie.
What numbers are u talkin about? Im pullin over 1.5 every time off every light its not about getting stuck on a brand its just going with what works.

basseye

basseye

What numbers are u talkin about? Im pullin over 1.5 every time off every light its not about getting stuck on a brand its just going with what works.
Excuse me for being a newb but when you say pulling 1.5 for every light what does that mean? Like ounces or kilos?

Wisher619

Wisher619

@tags420
those are the exact BS company's I was talking about...."NASA/Science approved" but then they go on to put cannabis blips in there......
DIY yes you can but........everyone can order what the AG industry actually uses that actually work....hps....
Just as we can spend a shit ton of $ on nutrients like AN or we can use nutrients like JR Peters or salts and grow the same quality and yield.....it is just a plant
but in any case
what makes those company's better then SK
what #'s are they putting out that SK hasnt been putting out for like the past 3-4 years???
Just wondering

tags420

tags420

@tags420
those are the exact BS company's I was talking about...."NASA/Science approved" but then they go on to put cannabis blips in there......
DIY yes you can but........everyone can order what the AG industry actually uses that actually work....hps....
Just as we can spend a shit ton of $ on nutrients like AN or we can use nutrients like JR Peters or salts and grow the same quality and yield.....it is just a plant
but in any case
what makes those company's better then SK
what #'s are they putting out that SK hasnt been putting out for like the past 3-4 years???
Just wondering
NASA isn't growing cannabis, so their "approval" really means nothing to me. All of those companies have full cases studies on cannabis as well as whatever else they want to show as well. I can speak for apache's nasa involvement, but isn't what makes them what they are. The others I base on what I've seen with cannabis and know of their lights. They use the best components and have results to back it. If you like what SK can do, you will love what these other will do.

2.0µmols/j at least.

Glad this all came from quoting a year old post...but everything still stands.

Wisher619

Wisher619

@tags420
not trying to be an ass or anything although I may come off as one.....I actually have an enquiring mind.....
the only problem I have is....all these company's that are supposedly innovative and better and or putting out these crazy specs....when actually tested....really dont....and alot of them are up to 60lbs and a giant 2'x4' hunk of aluminum.....it's funny....on apache's website it actually states all components made in China assembled in the US....same with Area 51.....what are they actually doing in the Agricultural Industry....that is really what I base my standard on....MJ growers are not as innovative as we might think....everything we do is based off of Aggie....but as a community it seems we all jump on Bullshit bandwagons and ride um till the wheels fall off.....but if we just copy what cut flowers producers do....oh ooopps The dutch have already been doing that for years.....I havnt seen any big Aggie running LED unless supplemental or for lettuce and herb production....of course there are few exceptions....but overall.....nope
and how can we translate lettuce to Cannabis growth....we cant
and I dont see ANY hydro tomato growers running them....unless for supplemental reasons....like running red during fruit production....but....always mixed with HPS

keiksweat

keiksweat

Everything aimed at mj market is pumped up 500%.its not just led company's.look at advanced nutes....wow..ten million products to grow weed no better than I grow with basic soil,worm shit and bat shit n mollasses n water.thats all people are trying to say.if you wanna grow led.your best light will be a diy panel.but out of the company's out there ie..apache tech,area 51 etc.they are the closest your gonna get to these diy builds using the best up to date chips with the top bin rating.i use led panels and hps together.but if I had the parts to build one or two of these top spech diy lights,I would shelf the hps for sure.thats the plan.realstyles is doing this now.and blowing his hps stuff out the window.well over 1gpw.and the buds are denser and more resinous.I totally agree we should look towards agro prices for neuts n stuff.but just because there not hanging new diy led panels in Dutch greenhouses doesn't make 1000w hps bulbs the way to go.

Junk

Junk

I don't know if anyone got to this bud...but he means 1.5 grams of dried product per wattage of light. So a 600 watt light x 1g per watt = 600g of dried material. 1.5 is a very good number.

HID, a good farmer will pull about 1 gram per watt. I've seen someone do 1.4. Some claim even higher.

LED IS more efficient...if it wasn't my money I would burn through them all till I found one that flowered like an HID. But my very first runs with LED, I was over 1.5 g per w

Personally, I haven't seen it yet...led that can compare during flower to HID. So, I've gone back to HID.

What it comes down to is cost up front, or "financed." I'm running 5k of light right now (that's a hell of a lot)...but on average the hoods cost me $160 each, I buy magnetic ballasts so those are about $120, & the bulbs are about $110. I'm not going to do the match. Electric is about $420 at the peak month ($340 increase) Normally, Im' about 250. It's like $2k-ish for the light materials.

Do you know how much it would cost for me to run the equivalent of 5k of LED? Not to run it, but buy it. The best flowering option I've seen is the Kind 1000 (there are probably others, I'm just saying the Kind is the closest I've seen.) I can get them for, I think $1500. x5 = $7500

basseye

basseye

yeah but your getting money back in the lower power bills so yes at first price is high.but savings start right away over hid.those gavitas run around 450.each you can get those mars panels for that.but im reading mixed reviews on the mars .

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
@basseye some people refer to 1.5 per as in grams per watt and sometimes the reference is pounds per light

MidniteGardener

MidniteGardener

He didn't say you can get spectrum king chips from China, he said you can get the fixture from China. And he's right. It's just a high bay fixture that's been retrofitted with LEDs.

MidniteGardener

MidniteGardener

What it comes down to is cost up front, or "financed." I'm running 5k of light right now (that's a hell of a lot)...but on average the hoods cost me $160 each, I buy magnetic ballasts so those are about $120, & the bulbs are about $110. I'm not going to do the match. Electric is about $420 at the peak month ($340 increase) Normally, Im' about 250. It's like $2k-ish for the light materials.

Can't argue with that. I'm curious about why you prefer mag ballasts over digital. RF interference concerns or cost?

D

Djloud

I don't know if anyone got to this bud...but he means 1.5 grams of dried product per wattage of light. So a 600 watt light x 1g per watt = 600g of dried material. 1.5 is a very good number.

HID, a good farmer will pull about 1 gram per watt. I've seen someone do 1.4. Some claim even higher.

LED IS more efficient...if it wasn't my money I would burn through them all till I found one that flowered like an HID. But my very first runs with LED, I was over 1.5 g per w

Personally, I haven't seen it yet...led that can compare during flower to HID. So, I've gone back to HID.

Do you know how much it would cost for me to run the equivalent of 5k of LED? Not to run it, but buy it. The best flowering option I've seen is the Kind 1000 (there are probably others, I'm just saying the Kind is the closest I've seen.) I can get them for, I think $1500. x5 = $7500
I have 2 sk next to 2 gavitas and the buds are the same size. Except the sk buds are much frostyer

D

Djloud

He didn't say you can get spectrum king chips from China, he said you can get the fixture from China. And he's right. It's just a high bay fixture that's been retrofitted with LEDs.
Well that dont mean shit because its the leds and drivers that do the growing who cares where the housing comes from. Its about whats within

Latest posts

Top Bottom