Speed Controller suggestions??

• Thread starter Surfr
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Surfr

What speed controller would you guys suggest for a 6" Can-Fan? Are there any plug and play type controllers? I have searched but no luck.... Thanks!

:character0180:

convex

convex

If you are looking for a manual switch then use a dimmer made for ceiling fans.
Look at the rating on the dimmer - you want the 5 Amp model.

Cheers

R

Radio_Dread

i like this one its good for 15 amps.

yeah this is the same one i have, its growbright tho, works great. i have a 6in inline fan 424 cfm, oh i got mine for 20 from HTG supply.com

sky high

sky high

Both of the above do about the same thing....which is that you can preset one dial to a temp...and the fan will run @ a slower (also preset by the user) speed (ratio) until the temp is exceeeded, to which the fan will speed up automatically until the space is again cooled to the preset temp.

IMO, damn near essential stuff.

s h

true grit

true grit

You can pick up one like T.O. mentioned at Harbor Freight for $15 or so as a Router speed controller...

S

space101

If your concerned about noise or dont want that humming sound from the fans when you turn down the fan speed controller, then a variac will do the trick. If your diligent you can find one for $25-30 bucks on eBay, otherwise there $50-75 on the bay all day, IMHO the absolute best way to control noise/speed on a inline fan.

P

Purkle

Premium Member
Supporter
Isnt there one called pharson or something of the sort?

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

i like this one its good for 15 amps.
I use the speedster as well. Simple, and does the job well.
I modified mine with an external relay hooked into a thermostat. That way, I can kick the fan up to full speed, whenever it hits the pre set temp on the thermostat.

IMG 1138
P

Purkle

Premium Member
Supporter
I thought there was something like the speedster with a thermostat you could hang in the middle the room. It would speed up the fan and slow it down depending on the dialed temp. The speedster makes the fan hum when turned down doesnt it?

subieslow

subieslow

I use the speedster as well. Simple, and does the job well.
I modified mine with an external relay hooked into a thermostat. That way, I can kick the fan up to full speed, whenever it hits the pre set temp on the thermostat.

which piece allows you to do this? is it simple to setup? I have the controller but would like it to be able to go full when temp is exceeded.

B

bigAl25

HTG supplied my variable fan speed controller for around $20 plus shipping. Plug everything in and you are off to the races.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

which piece allows you to do this? is it simple to setup? I have the controller but would like it to be able to go full when temp is exceeded.

Subieslow- I used a speedster fan control, with an A/C relay (single pole, double throw) to switch from my slow speed to full speed when my digital thermostat kicks in. I had to modify the internals of the speedster to make it work. Unless you are good with electric and such, I would take a look at some of the pre-made products that I have seen on this thread.
I stumbled across these.

Anyone tried yet?

The unit at the bottom looks pretty sweet. My only pick is that digital would be nicer. Oh well.

Space101 - I have never played around with a variac, but I really like the idea. A variable transformer, that lets you dial down the voltage, while keeping your fan quiet. Perfect.:cool0044:

K

Kpezzy

3 bucks at OSH for a light dimmer plug my 6 inch into it and turn it down :o)

Aerojoe

Aerojoe

has anyone used the

it doesn't seem to slow down fan, just stops it completely once it hits temps, which isn't what I was going for, I could swear my buddy has same thing and his slows down, anyone else try these?

C

cymbaline

bought one of those speedsters for my sunleaves and it sucked.
It exchanged the whoosh of air with a mighty hum. After reading and understanding how those work, I rather just deal with the noise of the fan and save the life of my fan.
I'm told some fans work great with these and some like my sunleaves don't.
So for me they are a pos and mine is collecting dust. The variac is the proper way to go if you want to do it right. Or find one of those temp controllers to turn your fan on/off and run it full speed while on. I played this game a year plus ago..

Top Bottom