Sphagnum moss ...

• Thread starter Roskito
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Roskito

Has anybody ever tried using sphagnum moss as a grow medium or in a mix? Either with soil or perlite or whatever? Wondering if it's too acidic...

Camdawg

Camdawg

Berger bm6 as well as promix is sphagnum peat moss and perlite it's an inert medium and therefore considered hydro.

R

Roskito

Ok. But what about using sphagnum moss, not sphagnum peat, in a soil mix. Peat is what they call sphagnum moss once it's began decomp. I'm asking about the stuff you see used to decorate hanging baskets and orchids ( still green and stringy) I've read mixed reviews and am wondering if anybody has experience with it.

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
I can't wait for your grow journal with it. Is it cheap?

drbombay

drbombay

long fibred sphagnum moss? i use it for orchids all the time. also for cloning. it has great wicking if alligned the long way. really sensitive to nutrient salt build up. also overcompaction. tried and abandoned it in soil mix.

R

Roskito

It is about $4 for a 432 cubic inch bag, which looks small but when u soak this stuff it swells up. I would have bought peat but the only one I had access to was miracle grow peat and it came with their nasty chemicals mixed with it. I cut it 50/50 with dr. Earths organic potting soil mix. ( which is perlite, guano, worm castings etc). I'm gonna be growing it side by side with some other mixes so we'll see how it works.

Seeing how it sucked up the water like it did, drbombay I probably right.
But I gotta see for myself...

Top Bottom