Spider Farmer SF-4000 vs Vivosun VS-4000

• Thread starter Andyr005
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Andyr005

Andyr005

Vivosun is obviously trying to be direct competition with the spider farmers with their new LED models. The specs are very similar. They both are using the Samsung LM301 diodes. SF is using the B model and VS is using the H model. From what I have read they are essentially the diode but the B is the original and the H is the “horticulture” version with very minor differences that really only amounting in a little more efficiency.

The question is, is there more differences between these lights then meets they eye? I have a couple SF and the SF-4000 is preforming comparably to my HPS 1k watt at a fraction of the draw, which makes me very happy with it. However, can you really justify paying 25% more for the SF when the Vivosun VS-4000 is Soo close in spec. Has anyone done a side by comparison? Do you see other important spec differences that may have more weight then I’m giving them?

Oldguy71

Oldguy71

Look at the drivers meanwell hlg are a step up from the xlg. More efficient and run cooler. Just so your comparing apples to apples

Andyr005

Andyr005

Well I purchased the Vivosun vs-4000. I don’t have them side by side but the Vivosun runs a little hotter, it look sleeker/ polished and also seems brighter. I haven’t seen advertising for it’s daisy chain feature but it has it. Ultimately the biggest downfall seems to be Vivosun support, which I contacted with some questions about the product. Luckily, there’s nothing wrong with it because they still haven’t gotten back to me. Overall, I’m very happy with it in comparison to the spider farmer. They both seem to out preform my 1000watt hps with a brand new bulb at 40% the power consumption and a fraction of the heat. It kicks off just enough heat to keep the tent warm (68-72) but not hot in a 55*-60* room. All in all, I’m very happy the Vivosun (and SF) however the lack of response from support is concerning(from Vivosun.)

TerpiestToker420

TerpiestToker420

Look at the drivers meanwell hlg are a step up from the xlg. More efficient and run cooler. Just so your comparing apples to apples
Idk know about all that I have the hlg 600 r spec and on full power I can't keep the tent under 90, while the SF 4000 in the same tent never gets it over 82, the only difference between the two is the wattage and I think hlg runs like 2-300 more watts than the 4000

LEDTonic

LEDTonic

Vivosun is obviously trying to be direct competition with the spider farmers with their new LED models. The specs are very similar. They both are using the Samsung LM301 diodes. SF is using the B model and VS is using the H model. From what I have read they are essentially the diode but the B is the original and the H is the “horticulture” version with very minor differences that really only amounting in a little more efficiency.

The question is, is there more differences between these lights then meets they eye? I have a couple SF and the SF-4000 is preforming comparably to my HPS 1k watt at a fraction of the draw, which makes me very happy with it. However, can you really justify paying 25% more for the SF when the Vivosun VS-4000 is Soo close in spec. Has anyone done a side by comparison? Do you see other important spec differences that may have more weight then I’m giving them?

When two lamps seem identical or very similar, there's still a good chance that they aren't.
AlboPepper just made a great video about this. The listed µmol/J or PPE, doesn't have to mean much.

While it's a bit tedious, count the number of diodes on the lamp and see how many watts each diode gets.
If two lamps draw the same amount of power, has the same drivers and diodes, but one lamp has 800 diodes while the other has 500 diodes, the lamp with 800 diodes will be more efficient.
Samsung has a calculator online where you can see the difference it makes, running them a bit softer and at a lower temperature.

After all, the discussion about lm301b VS lm301h is still very much active and many are chasing that extra percent in efficacy, but essential details like the one above is often overlooked.
Thermal management is also key. Compare the size of the heatsinks and see how many square inches or centimeters that each watt has. High temperatures will lower the efficacy and lifespan of the diodes as the speed of deterioration increases.

Latest posts

Top Bottom