Spider Mite Preventation

• Thread starter dmshayne
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dmshayne

dmshayne

Hello all

This thread is about anything that has to do with mite prevention.

Recently I discovered tiny white spots on some of the lower leaves in my plant where there was dense foliage.
I looked underneath and sure enough found mites.

Luckily I caught this very early and only a few leaves are affected, this is my method of removing mites;

1. Spray water underneath the leaves and the stems
2. Use a duster to spread diatomaceous earth on, under and around leaves. (Wearing a gas mask)
3. Cover the top of the soil with diatomaceous earth powder.
4. Raise the humidity of the room. ( live in a very dry area of the world. )

What you guys think of my method and how do you prevent an attack from happening?

Should I remove some dense foliage like fan leaves and the lower branches?

** edit to change some grammar

Bannacis

Bannacis

hot pepper juice with a tad of non toxic soap helps in a foilar spray, neem works.
unless in flowering...then no on neem,

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hello all

This thread is about anything that has to do with mite prevention.

Recently I discovered tiny white spots on some of the lower leaves in my plant where there was dense foliage.
I looked underneath and sure enough found mites.

Luckily I caught this very early and only a few leaves are affected, this is my method of removing mites;

1. Spray water underneath the leaves and the stems
2. Use a duster to spread diatomaceous earth on, under and around leaves. (Wearing a gas mask)
3. Cover the top of the soil with diatomaceous earth powder.
4. Raise the humidity of the room. ( live in a very dry area of the world. )

What you guys think of my method and how do you prevent an attack from happening?

Should I remove some dense foliage like fan leaves and the lower branches?

** edit to change some grammar
Just use a 1:1 mix of isopropyl alcohol and water applied liberally every three days. Treat the pots, but take care about using on the soil surface. Raising RH helps, but helps best when you seriously lower the temps, into the 60s. Removing dense foliage always helps keep things cleaner, so yes to that. Leave the DE for other issues.

Top Bottom