Spider mites are they immortal?

• Thread starter emanresu
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
emanresu

emanresu

Is there any way to kill these things? My friend is infested with them. We have tried neemoil, hydrogen peroxide solution, and even putting one of them outside in 25 degree weather with snow on the ground and it didn't kill them. I think he should have tossed the first plant he seen it on and try to make sure it didn't spread. He didn't do that and maybe I am wrong anyway. Now he has a infestation on I think it was 16 plants.

Asmodeus

Asmodeus

The borg, I had it once. Theres ways to get rid of it, but none of them worked for me. I ended up tossing all my plants, clones, pots, everything. Fumigated everything, lights, fans, equipment, the whole room. A week later, I nuked everything again. Waited it out a month, outsourced some new clones and started from scratch.

That worked. But there are less extreme methods 😂

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I tried just about everything. It is a good idea to get rid of an infested plant, but they spread quickly. So, getting rid of the worst will only slow their progress. I lost a plant that way the last time I had them. It did help, though, because it made it easier to stop them. They reproduce rapidly. They don't need both a male and female to reproduce, just a female. Their reproductive cycle is only a few days. Worst of all, they can evolve and adapt to substances like hydrogen peroxide.

Something that works is this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PH46H8K

I have used it, so I know. I just followed the instructions on the label. It's important to spray more than once to make sure the eggs die, too. This stuff is OMRO listed as organic, too, so it's relatively safe.

I also bought a sprayer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BXM3LCYQ

This sprayer has a nozzle that pivots. That makes it easy to spray the underside of the leaves. That's where spider mites live and lay their eggs.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I'll add that I just sprayed some fuchsias I bought from a local store. I sprayed them before I brought them in for transplanting into pots. The reason is I was able to trace my last spider mite infestation to flowers I bought from that store last year. So, I wasn't going to take any chances this year.

emanresu

emanresu

I'll add that I just sprayed some fuchsias I bought from a local store. I sprayed them before I brought them in for transplanting into pots. The reason is I was able to trace my last spider mite infestation to flowers I bought from that store last year. So, I wasn't going to take any chances this year.
I think my friends' cat may have brought them in. It's in a dusty basement as well, and that doesn't help anything. I never heard of fuchsias before or growsafe. I will have to check that out and inform him, thanks.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Personally I would buy predator mites

Iso works but you’ll be there all day to catch each and every mite let alone egg depending on the size,number of leaves and the amount of plants

It’s great if the plants small and has very few leaves otherwise not so much

mites reproduce at such a fast rate like 1 will become a thousand in days each laying there own eggs at a rapid rate

Predator mites will eat the eggs and the mites there few types of predator mites one type eat a lot and the other not so much but can live longer without food and can live on pollen so they are your clean up crew after the more hungry ones have eat everything

Amblyseius californicus & Phytoseiulus persimilis

Info and seller ^

Last edited:
figolus

figolus

you can also do it manually, sheet by sheet you go through with your fingers and remove the (I can't say the name, I'll have bad luck) the eggs etc.
then with a
paper towel that you have soaked in water with black soap you clean the sheet.

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

If yopu do this, dont smoke the plants, for 6 months.

Forbid F4, rotated with Avid.

Use as directed, and determine how much you use, by how bad the infestation is. It has directions on how much to use, in 5 gallons of water, and it has a range. Use the least for lesser infestations, and for full blown infestations, use the maximum amount, and when sprayed, do it before lights go out, to avoid burning the plants.
Forbid F4, kills them in all stages. Eggs included, and has a 28 days effective period. The breeding cycle of mites, is 21 days, so the Forbid F4, is effective for at least 1 week longer than the breeding cycle of a Broadmite, which is the most common form of mite infestation, though Forbid F4, also kills all kinds of other mites.
Make sure the underside of leaves also get drenched.

But both of these are no joke, and will eradicate most all mites, though Forbid is by far the best at killing eggs. Forbid, also disrupts the breeding cycle, by making the mites sterile, if they do survive. One has to stop the breeding cycle.
Wear Gloves, Mask Goggles, and as much ventilation, as possible.

You also used to be able to buy small amounts of it for about $30, but I dont see any places that sell small amounts, and both are very very exensive.

Last edited:
R

RhCrusader

I live in an old house well over 100 years
I am gifted with ladybugs somewhere in house year round
I scoop em out of corner and toss in tent

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Whatever you do, don't underestimate spider mites' ability to evolve. They reproduce so fast that they quickly can become super spider mites. That happened to me the first time I had them. I ended up trashing the whole crop. So, it's best to hit them as hard as you can with the first blow and keep hitting them until you're sure they're all dead and gone.

Top Bottom