Spider mites in the flowering room

• Thread starter thehighguy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
thehighguy

thehighguy

So....
I got spider mites in my flowering room as the title implies. The plants themselves are in week 7 of flower, any recommendations? I'm considering fumigating with nicotine.

Spider mites in the flowering room
Spider mites in the flowering room 2
Spider mites in the flowering room 3
R

redshift75

oh man thats terribly infested deep like they been there since you flipped to flower almost. You can spray some products that are safe for flower i use bio-marrone(idk if i spelled it right.) cg lineup. idk how well will get rid of them. But you can certainly try. Defoliate big leaves infested where you can etc.

here you go https://marronebio.com/cg/cannabis/ marrone bio thats their name. Im terrible with names and brands. Cause i dont care to remember em. But i did like their products so far this year. only thing it didnt help with was fungus gnats and i used B.T. in my soil for that. But i used the 2 and rotated spraying em with neem from the marrone bio lineup to kill spider mites from my mid summer harvest grow. I believe its grandevo and veneratte.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chad.Westport

Chad.Westport

Cut, clean, wait.

You will want to take every scrap of dead leaf material, soil, buckets etc out of that room after you chop. Everything needs to be cleaned with a bleach solution, don't take any shortcuts. Once you've done that, wait a few weeks and then do it again. After that, carry on with a new grow.

But you have to remedy the problem now or it will haunt, reduce and destroy your future yields. This is not a bug to be complacent with. The eggs can hide in small places, look up their lifecycle for more info. Sprays commonly kill the adults but then you have to come back and hit the eggs that just hatched.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

As close as you are to harvest I might put them out on the back deck and hit them with the garden hose or put them in the shower and hit them with the shower massage, and not spray anything on them; that might get you to harvest ... and then I agree with above you got to chop, clean and clean some more! You're also going to want to bud wash those bad girls at harvest too! Best wishes

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I read in jorje cervantes grow book that if you put tanglefoot (sticky stuff like on back of yellow sticky cards but in a jar) on the line the branches are hanging from while drying the mites will abandon the buds and climb up the branch to the line and get stuck there. No more mites in the buds.

Anthem

Anthem

Pure Crop 1 is safe and will work wonders on those Spider Mites. As mentioned above, clean the entire grow area and look closely are the mother or clone areas in they are present. Secondly, removed and clean every single item in the room. Spider Mites have a habit of coming back because they get into the walls thru the electrical outlets and the space at the bottom of walls between the drywall and the floor. After you have clean the whole room I would do what another support on here did. Make the grow room a perfect environment for them to grow so the eggs will hatch and you can get rid of those once and for all.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Pure Crop 1 is safe and will work wonders on those Spider Mites. As mentioned above, clean the entire grow area and look closely are the mother or clone areas in they are present. Secondly, removed and clean every single item in the room. Spider Mites have a habit of coming back because they get into the walls thru the electrical outlets and the space at the bottom of walls between the drywall and the floor. After you have clean the whole room I would do what another support on here did. Make the grow room a perfect environment for them to grow so the eggs will hatch and you can get rid of those once and for all.

Interesting you said that. I think i had nice healthy plants going and they drew out the winter egg hatched root aphids from the walls or cracks in the floor and i could drench them with botanigard.

Hopefully wiping them out while numbers were still low.

There were no plants in there for a month. So only new hatched bugs could be present.

Anthem

Anthem

Interesting you said that. I think i had nice healthy plants going and they drew out the winter egg hatched root aphids from the walls or cracks in the floor and i could drench them with botanigard.

There were no plants in there for a month. So only new hatched bugs could be present.
MiMed,
I think it was 1diesel that mentioned doing the whole perfect environment for the spider mites to hatch, that reinforced what a contractor I know that does work for big grows in Cal, like JB do. They flat seal the whole rooms and paint and caulk every joint between the floor and the walls. They even caulk the outlet covers to the walls and they use Kiltz paint, like 3 or 4 coats. He even mentioned what you basically had happen. JB uses netting strung between pipes to support the colas. He specifically mentioned the like shits getting into those pipes.
Also these guys focus on keeping bugs out of the buildings, not so much the grow rooms because they have to pass Cali testing. I can only imagine they have orkin or someone spraying around the buildings every few days, so that basically if the bugs come near the place they are not going to want to come in. I have kind of started adopting this approach as well. I just spray outside all the time and use pure crop 1 a couple times in case anything gets inside.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

MiMed,
I think it was 1diesel that mentioned doing the whole perfect environment for the spider mites to hatch, that reinforced what a contractor I know that does work for big grows in Cal, like JB do. They flat seal the whole rooms and paint and caulk every joint between the floor and the walls. They even caulk the outlet covers to the walls and they use Kiltz paint, like 3 or 4 coats. He even mentioned what you basically had happen. JB uses netting strung between pipes to support the colas. He specifically mentioned the like shits getting into those pipes.
Also these guys focus on keeping bugs out of the buildings, not so much the grow rooms because they have to pass Cali testing. I can only imagine they have orkin or someone spraying around the buildings every few days, so that basically if the bugs come near the place they are not going to want to come in. I have kind of started adopting this approach as well. I just spray outside all the time and use pure crop 1 a couple times in case anything gets inside.

I am going to start spraying home defense around the perimiter of the grow rooms and the whole house. I did this in the beginning but shy away from pesticides. No more.

Anthem

Anthem

MiMed I think once you get something like root aphids or spider mites you really have to do your homework to get rid of the little assholes. Both of those bastards are on my most feared list. The rest go away pretty easy but both of those are a bastard to get rid of. I know a guy that has spider mites in the walls and he tries to kill them off and he might get thru a grow after nuking the shit out of the room but they come back the next grow. It is hard to kill them off, I think why 1diesels approach works well is that if done correctly you are basically interrupting the breeding cycle of the bug. Get them to all hatch and kill them off before they get a chance to mature and create more eggs. Mother nature created a hell of a bug with both of these.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

It doesn't matter if you spray or not if you wear outside clothes in your house or near your grow room. The pests fall off of your clothes when you walk. Changing into fresh clothes or showering before stepping near the grow room is good practice.

I always do that and have advocated for it here many times. I went over 6 years with a perpetual grow in 2 rooms with no pest issues but a couple of gnats if i got too crowded.

Then the root aphids got in and i am dealing with it. I did not identify them for a while and harvested a lot of plants over time that were likely infested.

Spraying the perimiter of my house in the woods by the lake and river is just good practice I should have stuck with.

But yeah no outside clothes, shoes or tools.

Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

Hey man, that’s a bad infestation you got there.
once webbing sets in, it’s bad news bears.
it hasn’t been thrown out there yet, but the nylon covered vacuum method can be Quite effective for whole scale destruction of the colony.
all others have given great suggestions for prepping and preventing further disruption and future invasion.
Big echo to the no outside stuff in the inside grow room. It’s real annoying and I long to use the awesome compost I have going in the back yard, and as shitty as it is to endure expense, I go out and Buy dirt for my indoor grows.

Top Bottom