Spider mites question

• Thread starter Gforce
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Gforce

I have a single Headband flowering out and it's 9 days into flowering. Today I noticed an infestation of spider mites underneath the leaves. I immediately took the Headband out and sprayed it down with Dyna-Gro Neem Oil. Then wrapped the plant in a white trash bag and put it into my veg room away from other plants. My question is should I kill it or can I save it?!

altimood

altimood

grab yourself some Mighty Wash. Its great for killing mites in flower. Screw those mites. But screw them before they screw you my man.:hi

S

Sea Of Green

No, don't kill her, kill the bugs!

I've eliminated spider mites with neem oil. My first attempt failed. But I got 'em on the second shot.

Hint: Stick with it. Apply as directed(or even slightly more often, and without a trash bag works fine)for a minimum of 3-4 weeks(up to the day before harvest if req.). And to be on the safe side, treat them all, not just the one currently showing infestation(it won't hurt your other plants, or any plants for that matter). Worked for me!
:fixed:

G

Gforce

Thanx doods. Appreciate the help! Earlier I sprayed down my veg room and flower room. Ima try sticking with the neem oil. Would you recommend taking the trash bag off? Also would it be ok to stick it back into the flower room at a far distance during it's night time? I have it currently in my veg room under a 400 m.h.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
man I would not want to smoke plants sprayed with neem right until harvest - that stuff smells like ass funk

if you can you should quarantine that plant - neem might not work as anything more then a bandaid on the borg

I had good luck with sns217 - but they were 2 small plants in a different location (address) and I was very careful about my clothes and showering to not spread it to my main area

some people have had luck with closing the plant up (no ventilation for a day) with a no pest strip (hot shot)

mites can be pretty resilent though and sometimes the only way to get rid of them is chemicals or culling the plants

S

Sea Of Green

I've smoked plants that were sprayed a day prior to harvest. Much to my surprise they weren't affected in any discernable way. Once they cured you couldn't smell it at all. Still, it's not something I'd do under non-emergency circumstances.

I agree that there are stronger forces/tactics that can be employed to take on spider mites besides neem oil. I don't mind the stuff so much, it works pretty good for what is says it should. But I don't use it a lot either, if I can avoid it. It's definitely a bit weak for spider mites in particular(found out the hard way), and it stinks to high heaven.

G

Gforce

Haha the neem is such a horrendous odor! I practically ran for the faucet once I realized I had gotten it onto my hands! I think I'll leave the trash bag on for the night. Then open it up and check it in the morning. Unfortunately grow shops closed, so no sns217 til the a.m. Thanx for the tip!

G

Gforce

Quick question...
I sprayed my infested Headband down with the neem oil and all the rest of my plants. The neem oil recommends spraying every 2 weeks... Any thoughts on if I should spray the room down any sooner? Also I have 3 plants 5 weeks and 2 days into flower. They are 8-9 week flowering strains. I didnt see any infestion on them. Should I quit spraying them or continue? Perhaps just a light spray? Also I plan on doing a 2 week flush...

C

Chilewig

The product I use is Azamax @ 30ml/gal

It is a Neem extract and actually messes with their reproduction. It is also systemic and mites do not feed on a plant treated from veg. It does not knock them out right away, but with consistent treatment they go away. You can use on flowering plants and I have not noticed any residual taste or smell at all.

G

GrOwRooMGURU

i agree don't kill her kill the bugs its early in bloom and u can fight them and you problem need to do some preventitive spraying because they're in the house now and once theyre there they can lie dormant and pop back up at will

G

Gforce

Right on. I've been spraying the walls and floors in each veg/flower room with the neem oil. I hope I can fight these lil bastards off soon enough!

R

rickisonline

If your battle rages on beyond neem oil, check this nuclear bomb out:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hot-Shot-Kills-Flying-Crawling-Insects-No-Pest-Strip-2-2.29-oz/12166874

Be sure to read the directions and be really careful with it because the active ingredient is a serious chemical and should be used/treated accordingly. Also, do not hang it near a fan or where you have air rapidly circulating to your room. I had an infestation a few years ago, luckily in veg and used one for three days and it did the trick, wholesale. Had the plants been smaller, I too would have used neem.

G

Gaval

Ive been battling mites for two yrs now! good luck man those little fuckers are like cockroaches lol

O

Organicyumyum

Quick question...
I sprayed my infested Headband down with the neem oil and all the rest of my plants. The neem oil recommends spraying every 2 weeks... Any thoughts on if I should spray the room down any sooner? Also I have 3 plants 5 weeks and 2 days into flower. They are 8-9 week flowering strains. I didnt see any infestion on them. Should I quit spraying them or continue? Perhaps just a light spray? Also I plan on doing a 2 week flush...

you must spray every 3 days for at least two weeks with neem in order to get rid of an infestation. spraying past week 3 or 4 in flowering with neem is a bad idea. I like to use predator mites if anything, or ladybugs. google hired bugs and you will find every predator bug under the sun

D

dingfriesRdone

Sounds crazy but most hydro stores carry live lady bugs. Put about 20 or so on the plant before the lights go out and they will eat the eggs from the under side of the leaves. Also spray bleach water on your walls and floor of veg room and wipe down once or twice a week. Ive gotten rid of ALL of mine. make a neem oil solution for your new plants and dip the whole cutting/seedling in. That will help prevent the new ones.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
The following excerpt was taken from the web, and is in my long list of hydro notes. I have not had a chance to try it yet, ut it sounds promising:

"so far one formula has come out ahead and there are some instruction changes:

1/4 cup Baking Soda
1/2 cup Apple Cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
2 drops dish detergent
1/4 Teaspoon Epsom Salts

Take a cup of very hot water and desolve the epsom salts,take rest of ingredients and place in a clean 2 liter bottle and let work out. Add epsom solution. Add water to fill to 48ozs(3/4 full).Shake well.

TO USE: Cover soil/medium with plastic,with lights off mist plant all over,especialy under leaves,
Wait 20 mins,then spritz off with clean fresh water shaking as much water off plant as you can.
The fresh water spritz rinse will remove the solution along with the desolved remains of the mites and their eggs.

Have fun with your new "Mite Eradicator"

Note by MrFixit: Water plants 1/2 hour before spraying. This will help keep your plants from absorbing the spray.

This solution has been tested and used as directed will not burn plants,the rinse is very important though as it removes the spent solution before it can concentrate and burn the plant. It also removes most of the dead mites and eggs so you don't end up smoking them.

The formula can be diluted further,to 1 liter and it will still kill the mites but isn't as effective at dissolving and removing the mite parts.
Since removing the mite debris is desirable,I recommend the stronger solution,just remember to rinse and shake.
This formula is alkaline(about 7.8-8) so please remember to rinse.

Mite irradication is absolutely assured and guaranteed if used as directed.
I've never seen ANYTHING work this well for mite irradication!!
I used to gas my booths for mites,it worked but they came back,I haven't seen a living mite in a long time now.They haven't come back,partly because of cooler weather,partly because I hosed the Roses that were infecting everything with the formula and wiped out all the mites during testing.
The only thing I wish I'd done different is,I wish I would have done sections of the Roses and preserved
some of the mites for later tests.I've had to go searching for victims to test it on and there just aren't any left!! I did find some victims for my final tests in the park where we have meetings,the plants by the river are pretty sickly and infested(were I should say,I walked around with ONE pint bottle and cleaned up most of the area.LOL)
If news of this formula were to become widespread,mites would become an endangered species!!!So GOOD HUNTING !
Seasider"

"PM'd BankRobber and he told me to post this:
I have been experimenting with similar formulas, so far 2 work.
Trial #1: 1/2 cup baking soda , 1 cup vinegar , 1/2 cup apple juice. Dilute to 2 liters.

Trial #2 1/2 cup baking soda , 1 cup vinegar , 3 tablespoons lemon juice , 2 drops dish soap .
Dilute to 40 fluid oz's.

I've tried this on: Wandering Jew,Spider Plant,Fushias,Gladiolis,Roses, Sweet Elysium,Clovers,Daisy,
Rhodadendron, Lawn(grass)
So far it works,both formulas. #2 works best outside and best overall
It has killed any small insects I've tried it on except FLEAS(Darn it!)
So far its killed mites,thrips(Adult),aphids,clo ver mites, whatever mite type insects that were all over the Gladiolis and it sickened and effected Grass Gnats and mosquitoes.(the mist knocked them down,couldn't find them in the grass to watch if they died but they were having difficulty flying)
I'm waiting for long term effects on the plants I've sprayed,before I'll try it on my plants.
Try mixing up some and try it outside on whatever you can find with an infestation.
The original recipe from a Landscape gardener was: 1/2 cup baking soda, 1 cup vinegar,2cups apple peels.
Blend/Puree , filter , dilute to 2 liters. I haven't tried this one yet (no apple peels).
The trick seems to be 1/2 cup Baking soda to 1 cup vinegar,diluted to approximately 2 liters.
The dishsoap helps wetting & the juices boost effect. #2 seems to help with molds/fungus also.It reduced blackspot on Roses,Gladiolis and Rhodi's and white mold on Roses.( The coast is a perfect proving ground for this stuff!!! We have ALL the bugs and molds !!! I don't have to go far to find infestations of all kinds.)
Seasider"

"REPORT:
For 2 days I have hosed my backyard with this stuff,so far it has reduced blackspot & powdery mildew(white mold),killed all the small insects(size seems to matter on kill,gnats or smaller).
The only plants adversely affected so far are FERNS (they don't like it much,wilted some).
The fleas seem unaffected as are the garden spiders,wood lice,beetles and other large hard insects.
I'm using it far more than necessary to see if it hurts the plants. Repeating doses even after the bugs are dead. The gladiolis were REALY bad with blackspot mold and some kind of black sucker insects about the size of a pinhead.The Glads are doing fine both mold and insects gone! The wandering jew and spider plants are actualy perking up from it.The clover mites? WIPED OUT! Rose mites? WIPED OUT! Grass gnats and mosquitoes? VASTLY REDUCED! Scale insects? DEAD! Aphids?DEAD![THE GARDEN??? (smells like a "Caeser Salad" ! ) ALIVE.]
Seasider "

"Hey Everyone,

I think Seasider is onto something and that's it so cool to see people taking action and experimenting with organic ingredients!
I'm certainly going to try his formula!
It cost me over $300 to manufacture what I came up with, and that dose not include all the labor and the over two weeks it take to complete each batch!
Seasider's stuff is a fraction of the cost, and I can't see any adverse reactions from the ingredients mentioned.
Except for invertebrates "the soap" would kill them, but then we don't need it in our fish tank now do we?

A key test will be to see if any eggs rehatch or if the plants are reinvested, however respraying with an inexpensive home made product may be worth it to so many!
I say GREAT job & keep up the good fight!

Please keep us informed of your test. and results!

BankRobber!"

"Report:
There seems to be some mild burning where the solution was left on and collected/concentrated.
I would recommend using the 2 liter dilution and spritzing with fresh water afterward and shaking off as much as possible so the formula doesn't collect and concentrate itself to the point it burns tender leaves.
I didn't notice any damage except where it had concentrated and dried,so spritzing and shaking off should do the trick.As far as effectiveness goes,wow! The death and destruction it deals to mites is impressive !!
Popping browning eggs melting,imploding adults,body parts and debris slowly dissolving......EXTREMELY GRATIFYING !!!
TRY IT YOU'LL LIKE IT !!
The BORG rule ,of mite terror, is OVER !!!!

WARNING !!
A member had severe burning that he attributes to residues drawn out of the container by the vinegar.
USE A CLEAN CONTAINER !! Do not use realy strong vinegar or any with SULFITES in it.
NO SULFITES"

BOTTOM LINE IS IT WORKS AND THEY DON'T COME BACK"

B

Burned Haze

I try to switch em up: every five to Sven days azamax, then captain jacks dead bug , Then Ed rose zero tolerance herbicide , mighty wash, all with hu boldt sticky added at recommend dose. Stop everything but mighty wash at last 2 weeks. Seems to work an
D next time trying power wash last day before harvest!

Prevention is the key, clean your room and never leave dead part oaf plant to attract any pest. Good luck

K

KushFarmer

I've found that diluting 99% iso alcohol with RO water and fogging the plants every 3 days until the mites and eggs are gone (usually takes 6 days) is very helpful.

S

Screen OF Green

capulator- yeah i did that first method in your post and got rid of the suckas, but instead off spraing off with water i got a garden hose, and one of those gun things that attaches and can shower, and rinsed off with that, the high pressure water will knock off most eggs?mites it comes in contact with

Top Bottom