Spider mites? Thrips? Not sure what I’m facing here.

• Thread starter Rickysticky808
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Rickysticky808

Hi all,

Got some problems in my garden and having a tough time identifying exactly what’s happening.

I’ve had spider mites before so that’s my first guess and what I’ve been spraying for but I’m seeing really odd leaf formations (“burned”/bitten edges?) and even some signs of something biting the leaves (distinct holes)

Can’t find anything except little black dots but they never seem to move unlike Spider mites I’ve battled in the past.

Looked up and found thrips and thrip poop but haven’t really seen any or none that move.

Its (something) is attacking one plant pretty bad and seems to be spreading nearby, plants further away seem better.

Any and all help is much appreciated!

(Just flipped from Veg, soil grow, under HPS and some mixed in LED)

Spider mites thrips not sure what im facing here
Spider mites thrips not sure what im facing here 2
Spider mites thrips not sure what im facing here 3
Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Hi all,

Got some problems in my garden and having a tough time identifying exactly what’s happening.

I’ve had spider mites before so that’s my first guess and what I’ve been spraying for but I’m seeing really odd leaf formations (“burned”/bitten edges?) and even some signs of something biting the leaves (distinct holes)

Can’t find anything except little black dots but they never seem to move unlike Spider mites I’ve battled in the past.

Looked up and found thrips and thrip poop but haven’t really seen any or none that move.

Its (something) is attacking one plant pretty bad and seems to be spreading nearby, plants further away seem better.

Any and all help is much appreciated!

(Just flipped from Veg, soil grow, under HPS and some mixed in LED)
Can you get close ups of those little black specs on the ubderside of that one leaf?

T

Titleist

Kind of hard to tell what's going on other than a bit of nute burn. HPS is almost as bad as blurple lights for taking pics :)

The leaf damage does appear to be a pest of some kind but it's hard to tell without some close ups of any offending insects.

Of course we assume everything else about the grow is spot on in terms of nutes and environment.

R

Rickysticky808

Thanks for stopping by, much appreciated.

I trashed the leaf and sprayed this morning so nothing in sight at the moment.

Just tried to zoom in on the picture but not sure that helps much.
Can you get close ups of those little black specs on the ubderside of that one leaf?

B50CC37D 2F88 44B3 8D64 CFCCEEE644C5
R

Rickysticky808

Kind of hard to tell what's going on other than a bit of nute burn. HPS is almost as bad as blurple lights for taking pics :)

The leaf damage does appear to be a pest of some kind but it's hard to tell without some close ups of any offending insects.

Of course we assume everything else about the grow is spot on in terms of nutes and environment.
Thanks for stopping by, yea not very good pics on my part!

Deff a little hot for the ladies too unfortunately, no matter what I try can’t seem to get em out of low 80’s. 😔

Cannagar

Cannagar

Thanks for stopping by, yea not very good pics on my part!

Deff a little hot for the ladies too unfortunately, no matter what I try can’t seem to get em out of low 80’s. 😔
I find that keeping the window in my grow room slightly cracked and my humidified running helps to regulate my temp in there fairly well. Hope that helps!

james_pot

james_pot

Hi there! That what my friend said, he's a pretty experienced grower 😌

-Use Trifecta Crop Control in combination with Beauvaria (a beneficial fungus)
- Hang blue sticky traps
-Place a colony of predatory insects in your garden (green lacewings, predatory mites, minute pirate bugs and specific parasitic wasps)
-When there are only a few thrips on cannabis, the damaged areas can simply be cut off.

R

Rickysticky808

So update I got the heat down to about 78 so that’s one improvement.

After spray no sign of anything until today. Found this little black bugger.

Seems longer than any spider mite I’ve ever seen.

Couldn’t see it moving at all and tried to snap best pics I could. Paper clip head in some for size.

Is this a thrip?

Also found one light green kind of sac but then lost it before I could snap a photo.

DE7FF943 1CCB 4F3B 87A2 33EF0CE5F860
FE53A768 239A 489B 81A3 52AFE7C64321
748BE62E D5B7 4FDA B983 AD5EC89BA35E
R

Rickysticky808

Hey guys trying one more time to get a better shot.

still lots of black stuff coming up on leaves but no sign of movement.

Just these kind of long brownish looking things that also never seem to move.

I keep hitting em with alcohol/soap combo and that seems to keep things dead but not getting rid of them.

Deff thinking it’s thrips at this point but any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

8793551F 6ABF 4F83 8A67 62A0689730AC
885F3312 9BF9 4DD1 8A7F 17FEE401425B
1D3A9F32 CCAA 4E28 86D6 C4472FD58C8F
E74F8BEB 8144 4B07 8E3C 9B51821EA519
R

Rickysticky808

Last shot is the black specs that are left on the leaf.

I’ve had spider mites before but this doesn’t seem like them really. 🤷‍♂️

steamroller

steamroller

Do you see any flying bugs?
Possibly treating soil for gnats may help?
I like mosquito bits myself.

R

Rickysticky808

Do you see any flying bugs?
Possibly treating soil for gnats may help?
I like mosquito bits
No not anymore. Deff have gotten em from time to time but nothing crazy.

A good “dry out” of the growing medium before next watering plus a spray of some soap should knock down your Nat problem.

I’ve been spraying with a tea tree/ peppermint oil / alcohol spray and that’s been killing most things. Really nice smell too. Recipes in the link below

Deff seems like something munching on my leaves still tho and I keep finding these black spots and weird little “brownish” bugs 👀

steamroller

steamroller

No not anymore. Deff have gotten em from time to time but nothing crazy.

A good “dry out” of the growing medium before next watering plus a spray of some soap should knock down your Nat problem.

I’ve been spraying with a tea tree/ peppermint oil / alcohol spray and that’s been killing most things. Really nice smell too.

Deff seems like something munching on my leaves still tho and I keep finding these black spots and weird little “brownish” bugs 👀
I stay away from soaps. I really hate the idea of spraying my plants.
The dry out won't eliminate gnats.
The mosquito bits work fast enough to notice. They are a bacteria that targets the gnat, not a chemical. Safe to everything but bugs.
If your recipe spray is as good as it smells then why do you still have pest?
The little brown thing that does not move looks like gnat larvae.
Just saying. 🤷‍♂️

R

Rickysticky808

*update*

So it seems I had a lot going on that could be trouble so trying to narrow down one by one made some progress, hopefully it will show.

My PH was low at about 5-5.5, spent a bit adjusting PH Up and should be in better shape going forward. 🤞

Deff had nutes burn going on as well. After double checking bottle I messed up the dosage. (My old eyes read tablespoon instead of teaspoon)

So flushing them now with proper PH should help some. 🤞🙏🤞

The Temp is now in the high 70’s instead of mid to low 80’s (should also help going forward.) 🥵

As to the pests I simply can’t find anything living with my 40x scope.

Taking a shot in the dark but I could be seeing “casts” and/or dead bugs or their shells b/c I have been spraying for weeks.

Still seems like an awful lot of black shit but no sign of anything living when I do the printer paper test daily and not the tell tale signs of mites that I’ve experienced before. 🫣

I saw one flyer but couldn’t catch him so hoping that’s a fungus gnat who will shortly meet his maker also. 😬

Will keep updating but fingers crossed I can salvage something from these ladies. 4 weeks into flower and they seem behind thanks to my dropping several balls on this grow 😞

🫡

43C129E4 5A5C 46CC 9EB9 D062E4B238B3
C7AB4673 3191 42B4 BBC3 55FFDD5B0F8D
96592297 1C87 4F66 BDE1 3ADF47617B86

Latest posts

Top Bottom