spider mites

• Thread starter wannabnurse2
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

wannabnurse2

are there any household items i can use to get rid of spidermites. Wallet is running thin.

S

sensi addict

if your not worried about your plants and just want to clean the ghrow area of the lil bastards,maybe u could borrow a steam cleaner,that'll kill em off-chances are tho if you put plants thru this you'd kill them too!good luck mate,im warning you-you'll need it![best to start over again plant wise if u want rid ov em!]

S

shdowlkr

can the plants be moved or are they stuck where they are?

You can mix 1/2 cup of bleach with a gallon of water then pour that into a spray bottle and mist the plants, focusing on the undersides of the leaves.
Allow it 4-5 min to sit on the plant, then rinse the plant with clean water before putting them back in the grow area. Dont let the bleach sit on the plants tho, will cause spotting worse then the mites.
Another good method of control is if you have one of those hand held shower heads, take the plants into the bathtub, set the water to warm and blast the plants with water from the shower head, making sure to target the undersides of the leaves. This dislodges the adults and nymphs and possibly some eggs, but in all its just a method of control, not eradication.

You can also use a soap spray to control them. Dawn is usually suggested as its a very mild soap. Mix up your gallon of water with 1/2tsp of dawn, fill the spray bottle and attack, lol. Either way, just like above with the bleach, I suggest rinsing it off afterwards.

If you are in the US, you can hit up a hardware store and get a Hot shots no pest strip for about 8 bucks. I love those things and replace mine if I have mites or not, every 3-4 months. I've only had the mite battle one time and figured it was worth my 32 bucks a year to have this line of defense against them, cause it works!!

H

headband707

Well I will tell you what I used once and it worked like a charm and I had lots of mite on these really nice clones I got my hands on. I took one cigarette and put it in a bottle of water with 1/4 teaspoon of cyanne pepper . Let it sit overnight and shake it up this is an old trick and it worked really well. Spray the undersides of the leaf. Find the mother leaf and get rid of it. There is always a mother leaf. One leaf that the spiders will migrate to and there will be more spriders there then any other leaf. Throw those leafs out.... Repeat this for a few weeks until you think they are gone. Remove the first 1/2 inch of soil.They will be gone lol peace out Headband707

I

idriveunsafely

like 1/10 alcohol to water works horribly to burn em off. dont do it under the lights.

Dalonewolf

Dalonewolf

spend the $20 on ebay for the floramite, collect cans if you have to, it's better than seeing your plants die and way, way less expensive than starting over.

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Floramite SC is the SHIT.

Defo get on the floramite action. But ensure you spray everything. 1 application is all you will need.

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
Yeah Floramite saved my life and ive never looked back...its the shit! :harvest:

L

labscission

I use Floramite and Forbid for non-flowering plants. Avid just in case. Azatrol for the flowering plants because they always migrate to the flower chamber when hit with the Floramite! I also use a little SM90. I've been dealing with the borg for over a year. I want them gone.

Z

Zigzagman

I wouldn't use it on flowering plants. It's not meant for eatable crops.

sedate

sedate

I think the OP asked for a cheap way to kill spider mites - floramite might work well but it is anything but cheap. Nevermind how long it'll take to order.

Mix 1/2 Rubbing Alcohol with 1/2 water and spray it on the underside of your plants as you start the night cycle.

Spray liberally - until the leaves are wet and dripping -

The alcohol will evaporate off within minutes leaving the plants virtually untouched.

If your plants are big enough, you can hose them off in a shower or even with a hose to remove loose eggs and dead mites.

A rubbing alcohol treatment will need to be repeated every 5 - 7 days - three times should do it.

As for a horticultural product? I think that this is an excellent miticide as well - and you can use it on flowering plants -

http://www.saferbrand.com/store/garden-care/5452

X

Xare

I used a homemade spray once to kill mites.

Just squirt a bit of dishsoap in with water, a little goes a long way.

This kills mites but needs to be rinsed off after 15 mins or so. I dissolves the mite to death... But the eggs are really hard to kill.

So you have to do it once a day for a weak to stop the infestation. But even then there maybe eggs waiting to hatch some time down the road.

G

GreenSociety

Use Einstein oil it works great but you have to be on top of your spraying if you dont mind chemicals use floramite that works great but if you want organics relief use neem oil or predatory mites or lady bugs

sedate

sedate

GreenSociety said:
or lady bugs

Lady bugs will fly toward the sun to look for a mate ->

They immolate themselves on the HPS - you need a different solution in any indoor grow.

H

headband707

Lady bugs do fly away and they actually like aphids more then spider mites but they will also eat mites. You can vacuum them up after your done and put them back in the fridge. peace out Headband707

mace

mace

Flora-mite, sure.
Pyrethrum works, and you can spray it on flowering plants. Breaks down in about a week, only kills adults though, not eggs.
predator mites.
Neem oil.

S

Standaman

Well if you can get it in the US i would say a product Plant Vitality + 1 spray of that kills SM's dead on the spot and any that it don't kill instantly will 100% be dead within 5 days adults, eggs and any other way they come it dont matter.

I went the Neem route and the homemade remedies it just pissed them off tbh, with this stuff i have actually been wishing for SM's just so i can hurt them again lol

Here's a link of what i'm on about

K

kushpheen

you can always just squish their little heads with your fingers

Latest posts

Top Bottom