Spin dryer for ethanol extraction

• Thread starter Eskander
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Eskander

Eskander

I've been playing with various approaches to getting as much solvent out of washed material as possible. Gone from squeezing nut milk bags to using French presses. So far I'm not hugely happy with anything I've tried. When I started looking at commercial units for large scale ethanol extraction, I like the approach but not the price. Poking around on amazon and I found this the other day:

With an 8 inch cylinder this thing would have an RCF of about 2300g at the edge. I figure I could put material in a bag like this:

or maybe something finer mesh like a nut milk bag... Plan is to do the initial soak in chilled ethanol and use that fraction for vapes and whatnot. Then do a clean up soak in room temp ethanol, spin the solvent out and then pull the it through a celite puck with a layer of charcoal to clean up the color and flavor.

Was wondering if anyone has used one of these for the purpose and how it turned out.

-Eskander

Eskander

Eskander

Seems to do quite a lot better than I can manage by wringing out flower in a nut milk bag. I put in some flower that I'd tried to squeeze as much out of as possible and in short order a fair amount more came pouring out. I'll try to quantify my solvent recovery from a soak in the near future. Chamber is about the right size for a pound of flower. I'll play with clean up on it a bit more but it seemed to clean up fairly easily with a sponge soaked in solvent dropped in and spun up to spray the walls. The only thing I don't like is it can't be used for the soak as it just drains out immediately.

The bags I linked are way too coarse to be useful. Going to stick with decent nut milk bags unless someone has a better solution.

-Eskander

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Ive used these in past washes and thought it did pretty good.
20221123 192621
Screenshot 20221123 191933 Google

C

cronicoldguy

I been looking for the same solution. I have been using a wine press. I have been looking for quite some time for an affordable centrifuge.

Seems to do quite a lot better than I can manage by wringing out flower in a nut milk bag. I put in some flower that I'd tried to squeeze as much out of as possible and in short order a fair amount more came pouring out. I'll try to quantify my solvent recovery from a soak in the near future. Chamber is about the right size for a pound of flower. I'll play with clean up on it a bit more but it seemed to clean up fairly easily with a sponge soaked in solvent dropped in and spun up to spray the walls. The only thing I don't like is it can't be used for the soak as it just drains out immediately.

The bags I linked are way too coarse to be useful. Going to stick with decent nut milk bags unless someone has a better solution.

-Eskander
So it seems to work pretty good? Capacity is a bit large for me, but interested. What concerns me is the solvent leaching cheap plastic compounds. Or would that not be an issue? What about a hand crank salad dryer?

Eskander

Eskander

I been looking for the same solution. I have been using a wine press. I have been looking for quite some time for an affordable centrifuge.

So it seems to work pretty good? Capacity is a bit large for me, but interested. What concerns me is the solvent leaching cheap plastic compounds. Or would that not be an issue? What about a hand crank salad dryer?
Good concern for sure. Seems to be ABS which has good ethanol resistance. I wetted an area on the outside for 10 min and there were no signs of etching. I snipped off a bit from the bottom and weighed it out. I'll leave that soaking for a week and weigh it again.

-Eskander

Top Bottom