Spinosad causing Hermaphrodites?

• Thread starter mountain
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mountain

mountain

Appears that spinosad may cause hermaphrodites - anyone else have experience with this?

May not have been the cause, but not really interested in running more "experiments".

Just a couple of bananas on everything, very few really, but even on things that almost never hermie even with photoperiod mistakes, and it only takes one.

Could also have been some of the other ingredients in that particular spinosad product, the timing (applied at flip), or another unknown cause.

Otherwise love the product.

Anyone else have problems with this?

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Appears that spinosad may cause hermaphrodites - anyone else have experience with this?

May not have been the cause, but not really interested in running more "experiments".

Just a couple of bananas on everything, very few really, but even on things that almost never hermie even with photoperiod mistakes, and it only takes one.

Could also have been some of the other ingredients in that particular spinosad product, the timing (applied at flip), or another unknown cause.

Otherwise love the product.

Anyone else have problems with this?
"May not have been the cause, but not really interested in running more "experiments"." Wasn't the cause, spinosad has been used for so long in the garden industry and cannabis. It would be known if it had an effect on hermaphrodites showing.

Did you use the product at an abnormally high dosage?

organicozarks

organicozarks

Never had a problem with this. Been using it for years.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

spinosad is def not the cause of herms. If you underwater past week 5 it triples the likelihood that you'll have plants throw bananas, as well as high (78+) temps in later flower. Not saying either of these are gonna cause herms, just make it far more likely they'll appear especially if there's been other problems in the cycle.

I have been spraying my outdoor plants with spinosad for 3 years (5 or 6 runs now)
No Herms ever

I don't recommend spinosad for outdoor use - it's a bee killer.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Mmm... is it? I don't recall the same types of drift warnings for Spinosad (or Bt for that matter) as I do say, pyrethrin/pyrithroid products, or Oxidate, for example. Will have to double-check, because it's that time of year again. Of course, I have an astonishingly large pollinator population, not just honey bees.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Best thrip solution ever. True Grit turned me on to it in 09 or 10...
Never seen it cause any issues whatsoever.
I didn't know it killed bees, luckily no bees in my grow indoors...

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
Love that product,,,would look at my nute program ..resently had a herm issue was my nutes to strong.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Well, me being who and what I am (intrinsically curious, fatally so perhaps), I've done a little bit of searching. This is one quote from one abstract I have found specific to Spinosad and toxicity to pollinators.

This research has clearly demonstrated that spinosad residues that have been allowed to dry for 3 hr are not acutely harmful to honeybees when low-volume and ultralow-volume sprays are used. Further, glasshouse and semifield studies have demonstrated that dried residues are not acutely toxic, and although pollen and nectar from sprayed plants may have transient effects on brood development, the residues do not overtly affect hive viability of either the honeybee or the bumblebee. Field studies in which typical application methods of spinosad were used on a variety of crops have demonstrated that spinosad has low risk to adult honeybees and has little or no effect on hive activity and brood development. The collective evidence from these studies indicates that once spinosad residues have dried on plant foliage, generally 3 hr or less, the risk of spinosad to honeybees is negligible.

F

FruitOfTheLabor

the bugs like thrips can produce stress that will make shit hermi.. iuno.. usually don't spray anything 2 weeks before flower.. usually will spray wen small. if I have to spray again I do it 3 weks before flower. and then flower out.. hvaent seen a problem.. not sure tho. kuz ive had thrips in flower an sprayed n got hermis. but iunno if its from bugs or spray so I just don't spray unless I g0t 2 weeks before flippin.

Top Bottom