splitting plants

• Thread starter Buzz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Buzz

i talked to a buddy he claims he takes his plants and splits them down the shoot and lays them down and they keep growing anyone ever of this???
i thought if you split the plant is would die.
he said he does it all the time

F

fuzzy

Never heard of it either.Try it.Let us know how it works.Keep us updated. peace,Fuzzy

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Hmm, why is he doing that?

B

Buzz

he said he takes a plant and rips it down the middle and lays it down and it grows i have no idea i am gonna ask him for pictures tho

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
I can't see a reason to do that unless it's a bizarre cloning practice he's adopted.

F

Finalopagus

he said he takes a plant and rips it down the middle and lays it down and it grows i have no idea i am gonna ask him for pictures tho

dont ask man
go in thar like a fuckin paparazzi snapin pics of every thin in sight....

I will pay to see this:flower

P

Pyro G.

Hey, maybe he like's hermies or plantz w/ wierd mutations. I've never heard of any sane grower wanting 2 put his babies through any such stress. Weed may not be the only thing this guy is smokn.

mace

mace

I've heard of people doing this with plants that are tubers and such. Splitting the roots with a stem attached leads to a basic clone. Still, i don't see this being helpful for marijuana but i could be wrong.

H

hailstone

I've heard of people putting nails or screws through the stem to make the plant finish earlier. You're supposed to do it a couple of days before the chop or something. Probably just bullshit/superstition but then again, who knows, there might be something to it...

Just mentioned that because from Buzz's description his friend seems to be doing something quite similar.

Anyway, my guess is that the guy uses a technique called supercropping. It's a kind of training that's very stressful to the plant but still provides good results apparently. I'll let someone else explain it in more detail (if needed) since I don't really know much about the subject and I don't want anyone to go killing their plants with false advice from me. :)

leadplant

leadplant

This is how I have split plants and it worked out well for me.

Take a plant that has already been topped once so that there two or four colas where there used to be just one. Where the top two colas meet, there is a "v" shaped crotch. As the branches thicken, its becomes easy to split the main trunk right down that crotch going part way or even most of the way down to soil level.

It improves light penetration, a type of supercropping I spose.

Only a well developed crotches can be split or else it can snap. Dont do it all at once, be gentle. Some strains are probably not suited for it. Practice it on an expendable plant first.

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
I've inadvertently done it while LST'ing a big plant but not on purpose. Interesting LP, I'd be too nervous about infection though when LST will do the same thing.

S

ScrogaholiC

i could never do this with my girls, i :heart them to much

even if you can top, scrog, sog, lst or something else to have good results, ... just my 50 cents

but if it works for ya guys, i´ll be happy with you :handshake

doesnt the stem dry out, or get infected?

anybody has some pics?

cu

leadplant

leadplant

"doesnt the stem dry out, or get infected?"

I was a little worried about that too but the plant didnt get stressed at all after splitting.
Definetely acts like a weed in that regard.

S

ScrogaholiC

hehe i forgot its cannabis lol

we could do everything with it :pimp:

do you have some pics to show, i´d like to see a splited plant now...

cannabis will never die :heart:devil

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
Split Stem pics

Ok, came across this on another site, might interest a few

Split stem on PP
Healed split PP
Top Bottom