spontaneous vegetative growth late in flowering?

• Thread starter Ne Obliviscaris
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

Ne Obliviscaris

I've growing Kush in soil and I'm nearing the end of the flower, just about to start flushing. The buds are nice and sugary and had gotten decently purple considering the warmth of the room, but a couple days ago they started ton have a growth spurt. They're not herming (i dont think) but it seems like q qualitatively different type of grown than normal end of cycle swelling. Specifically, the new growth is very light green and not nearly as crystally as the more mature bud. Its also throwing out a LOT of new hairs.

The growth is most pronounced on the largest cola's where its growing in what I've always called a 'foxtail' pattern (I don't know whether this is a common term or just gets used in my circle) where the tips of the cola split and all the top calyxes start to grow out, so you get several 'tips' on the end of the cola. Does this description make sense?

Anyone experienced anyhthing like this?

hiboy

hiboy

Yes i had one plant with one bud on it out of 24 plants that did that, and there was a debate i read, hermephing out, light cycle got interrupted to restart vegging, l.e.d. lights on from a,c motors, timers , etc. causing the hermeph situtation. Couldnt really pin point it out, so ask yourself, do any of the above fit you and that might be it
hiboy

N

Ne Obliviscaris

Thanks for your input man, its appreciated.

I grow in tents, so there's no light spillage inside, the only light issue I had was that a circuit got tripped a few weeks ago and the lights were off for an extra six hours, which in and of itself shouldn't do much (at least not in my experience). I do however used a digital timer and it had to be reset and its possible it got set forward or back 15 minutes, maybe, relative to where it had been. The kush i'm growing is pretty resiliant though, and its not a single plant thats doing this.

Could it be irregular nutrient feeds? I decided to add ferts by feel this time instead of using a regular schedule. I think this lead to me overfeeding in mid flower, so I cut it back a bit, and then hit it heavy again to hit the final swell before I flushed. I think I'm going to return to a fixed feeding schedule next round.

The buds themselves look pretty fucking good, its just this weird new growth thats slightly off color relative to the rest of the purple. Its not an unhealthy color, its a light green, just different, and the new growth isnt as sugary. Plus the hairs.

N

Ne Obliviscaris

So some time has passed and the plants have gone back to normal flowering growth. I think I was actually right about it being a nutrient issue. Here is my reasoning, please tell me if this sounds like bullshit. I have nothing to back it up except this one time observation, so its all arm-waving, but it makes logical sense.

So as I mentioned in an earlier post, I had gone off my normal feeding schedule, because I wanted to see if feeding by 'feel' would work as well. I started to get classic signs of having over fert'd, so I flushed, and I did so really heavily and for about a week and a half. I happened to be using a really dense soil, which I assume makes it trap a lot of ferts, the denser the soil the more water that needs to be run through. So I think what I was claiming was 'vegetative like' growth was actually budding growth with really reduced nutrient intake which caused it to be a lighter green and have very little resin productioin,. When i stopped flushing and started ferting again then growth returned to normal. The fact that it took a few days for the flush to start affecting growth, and stop affecting growth when it ended threw me for a little bit. But of course thats the normal delay for soil changes to have an effect on the plant.

Does this sound at all plausible? Like i said earlier, its pure conjecture.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ne, I've done it. Pushed too much nitrogen too late in flowering and got a burst of vegetative growth. Now you know!

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

can you post pics? Is it possible that the buds you are reffering to are all closest to the light? I Have noticed if my plants are too close to the light they will foxtail and do abnormal things. The buds get kind of dry and they are not as crystally.

H

HolyMunchies

I actually like it when plants have a late burst of growth it usually allows me to run an extra week or so and get some really swollen calyx's which give it a nice bag appeal.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
yup I think you hit it on the head

Top Bottom