Spray Insulation

• Thread starter Midas
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Midas

Midas

So I saw this on an episode of Urban Grower and I was wondering if anyone knows A) Where can I buy some? (preferably locally) B) Can I install it myself?

M.S.T.

M.S.T.

So I saw this on an episode of Urban Grower and I was wondering if anyone knows A) Where can I buy some? (preferably locally) B) Can I install it myself?

For small rooms they sell it in cans at hardware stores. It is called Great Stuff, foam insulation. Don't know where to get commercial sizes though.

coloradochem

coloradochem

dnt think you can get a do it yourself kit of this stuff yet. i installed it for a year in 2004. one may be available now but i doubt it. it takes a lil specialized equipment. the great foam stuff isnt the same, it has a higher expansion rate and no ability to build on itself(which makes spraying it on a wall, a extreme pain in the ass) it also has a way lower r value. Jm2c hope this helps.

M.S.T.

M.S.T.

dnt think you can get a do it yourself kit of this stuff yet. i installed it for a year in 2004. one may be available now but i doubt it. it takes a lil specialized equipment. the great foam stuff isnt the same, it has a higher expansion rate and no ability to build on itself(which makes spraying it on a wall, a extreme pain in the ass) it also has a way lower r value. Jm2c hope this helps.

Good to know. I have only used it small applications, mostly to seal cracks. You are right it does expand alot and is hard to stick to vertical surfaces. I usually make a mold with masking tape or something. Definetly lower r value and not proffessional, but no special tools required.

R

Rollinhard

Don't use those small cans. If you have to DIY, you can buy what is called a portable or (touchup) kit. They are used for smaller jobs or to "touchup" larger ones after you leave the job. Here is a link to a brand I use.

http://www.touch-n-seal.com/

I have been in the Spray foam business since 1998 and these work well. I think this is one of the only REAL ways to seal a room.

If you need a number of a guy to buy a kit from PM me. They run anywhere from 350 to 800 bucks depending on the size kit.

L8r

FLB

FLB

Urethane insulation is by far the porsche of insulations, but may be a touch overkill for a room. A much more economical approach would be to buy 2" high density foam board and cut to width to fit in between studs, make sure you cut them a 1/2" shy of actual width, this lets you use those little foam cans to seal the edges. Thickness def has some play in insulating but the seal is much more important.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
I had the pros come in & do the spray foam on my sealed room, best shit there is hands down, cuts down all the noise from the room plus it holds heat or cold like crazy, 16x16 room 2x4 walls filled & top filled 12" thick. make sure they spray the CLOSED CELL FOAM, don't use the open cell thats shit !!!!!! :cool:

B

Burned Haze

That sounds like some serious stuff. I would love to get my rooms done with that

Papa

Papa

Supporter
I had the pros come in & do the spray foam on my sealed room, best shit there is hands down, cuts down all the noise from the room plus it holds heat or cold like crazy, 16x16 room 2x4 walls filled & top filled 12" thick. make sure they spray the CLOSED CELL FOAM, don't use the open cell thats shit !!!!!! :cool:

cost?

N

Nesta B

They sell the diy kit at home depot with the gun, tank, only problem is its one time use. I think it was 350.00 for the set up, I spray foamed my stonefield foundation with it and it sealed my room completely, shit works great!!! the kit does something like a 10 x 20. I checked out some other youtube vids and people were not even mask pretty crazy...

H

heywho

$1000.00 cash...........;)

I was looking at R values... that spray shit seems the way to go... are you seeing returns in lower electric bills?
Did you spray any ducting
After the spray, did you install drywall? / tape & finish?

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
I was looking at R values... that spray shit seems the way to go... are you seeing returns in lower electric bills?
Did you spray any ducting
After the spray, did you install drywall? / tape & finish?

The walls have 1/2 osb on the outside then the 2x4 walls are sprayed full with the closed cell foam, then the walls have another 1/2 osb on the inside of room that was primed with oil base primer, the painted with Zinsser® Perma-White® Mold & Mildew Proof™ Interior Paints Perma-wh Mold/mildew Proof .
There was one duct that was running in the ceiling, ceiling is the 1st floor, ie the room is in a basement ,spray foamed right over it, filled it 12 inched thick, 1/2 osb on the ceiling, the room is a 10k room- perfect room no in out vents set the temp & forget it, spray foam ALL THE WAY !!!! :cool:

Latest posts

Top Bottom