sprouting seeds in dome , yes/no

• Thread starter benjones
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

benjones

firstly , sorry . there was another thread that was along similar lines but i can't find it now

this is my first grow in many years, and the first i have ever done from seed .

i have the air con on as it can be as hot as 32C in the room without it , and humidity as high as 75 .

it is now 26c and humidity at 62 .

the seeds are just about to sprout . i had the dome/propagator on them but i am unsure if i need to use the dome as they are seedlings

could some kind person please advise me if i should keep the dome on or not .

many thanks

Madmax

Madmax

Yeah ive never used a dome in 30 + but ..ive always put them in a nice dark place like on top of a wardrobe etc. once planted and when i see them pop up they are straight under a light or window sill for a day then straight in the ground outside.

B

benjones

thanks @Moe.Red @mysticepipedon and @Madmax

look like i am about 1-2 days away from taking the lid off . some are further ahead than others, do i just wait for them to catch up ?

also i have them under two 42w cfl bulbs , is that ok ?

the bulbs are about 10 cm from the top of the lid but maybe 20-25 cm from the top of the seedling that has sprouted

Madmax

Madmax

If cfls are anything like t5ho's that distance should b okay.i run 4x24watt t5ho's at 8 1/2 9' inches away..the others should b fine.

B

benjones

@Madmax @mysticepipedon @Moe.Red

i did 1 seed as a test on friday , it sprouted , so i did the other 20 on sunday

all the seeds sprouted 20/20 this morning , but when i saw them today they didn't look the best of health . they were in the dome until 10 minutes ago when i took the top off

the tester seed looks to be in poorer shape day by day and is not getting any bigger .

temperature and humidity without the dome is 26c , 55rh .

the cotyledons have curled up . any idea what is wrong or what i should do to rectify this please . i would really appreciate some advice

thanks

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Is that coco or a mix of coco and other materials? If it's a mix, you may be overwatering. If it's coco, I don't know.

B

benjones

@mysticepipedon , it is just coco . i haven't watered since i put the seeds in . i washed and buffered the coco , then washed again in plain water with PH at 5.9 . . the coco is not wet to the touch . i put my finger in about 2-3 cm and it was quite fluffy , as it was at the beginning . they have been in the dome since sunday

thanks for the reply

B

benjones

hi @mysticepipedon , @Madmax @Moe.Red

just an update. they are looking much better thankfully . i have the light ( mars hydro fce 4800 ) about 20 inches away on 30% at the moment , it was on 25% the last few days

any thoughts on how they are looking please guys . some are slightly stretchy . i did notice a bit of a scrumpled look on some of the leaves ( highlighted in yellow ) , is this normal at this stage ?

thanks

Top Bottom