Sprouting Seeds with an SF4000 LED

• Thread starter Ddebrazza
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ddebrazza

Ddebrazza

Last time I had great results with a 315 W CMH. 100% germination rate.

I utterly failed this last batch but I do not think the Light had much blame.

My question is, does anyone sprout their seedlings with their SF4000? How far away do you hang it (mine was at 24'' at 100%) and do you keep it on full strength or do you dim it? I vaguely recall reading someone saying to never dim the LED light, always run at full strength. So that is what I did.

I have another 12 seeds on the way so I am taking another crack. Just looking to sure up my techniques so I dont butcher another batch of seeds.

More feedback on Germinating under an LED light? I feel like the temperatures may have been a bit low also but I can likely cure that by reducing/shutting off the exhaust fan until they all sprout.....

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

LED light is super strong. Compare the LED light to a T5 6500k bulb. You only need a bit of light.

I bet your led is 2x as strong as that bulb. And you have it closer??

iTurniGrow

iTurniGrow

Last time I had great results with a 315 W CMH. 100% germination rate.

I utterly failed this last batch but I do not think the Light had much blame.

My question is, does anyone sprout their seedlings with their SF4000? How far away do you hang it (mine was at 24'' at 100%) and do you keep it on full strength or do you dim it? I vaguely recall reading someone saying to never dim the LED light, always run at full strength. So that is what I did.

I have another 12 seeds on the way so I am taking another crack. Just looking to sure up my techniques so I dont butcher another batch of seeds.

More feedback on Germinating under an LED light? I feel like the temperatures may have been a bit low also but I can likely cure that by reducing/shutting off the exhaust fan until they all sprout.....

Why wouldn't you dim it? You get a lux app on your phone, have the light 24" or even at the top of the tent like I do with mine so I don't have to move lights up and down constantly & use the dimmer until its at 10k/12k lux..

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
That light is easily 4x too strong for seedlings at that height, needs to either be dialed down or raised higher.

Ddebrazza

Ddebrazza

Thank you for the feedback. This is my first time ever using an LED light, like I said, last time I just threw them all under the CMH and rolled.

I will dial the dimmer back a bit. Maybe I will run the CMH light on the other side of the tent just to raise the temperatures a bit.

Ddebrazza

Ddebrazza

I just downloaded the Light Meter App that @Aqua Man recommended in another post.

Looks like I had 2 issues that lead to Epic failure.

I had the poor seeds cooking under the LED on 100% or 61,500 Lux... ouch.... Will definitely dial her back for the next batch of seeds! I did not realize growing under LED would be so much different.

Smokey0418

Smokey0418

My seeds will get blasted at 100 percent, directed off the walls.
These girls need to understand what’s coming and build leaf structure accordingly.

Ddebrazza

Ddebrazza

My seeds will get blasted at 100 percent, directed off the walls.
These girls need to understand what’s coming and build leaf structure accordingly.

haha, right on. I learned from my mistake.

Could have also been the seeds since 4 of 6 of the Gorilla Glue sprouted but 0 of 6 from the Bruce Banner batch. Either way there are a couple areas I just glazed over without putting enough thought into.

I didnt think the new LED was THAT much stronger than the CMH

Smokey0418

Smokey0418

I am still learning also, bent my girls right over at first being a bit too close and then on top the style I use has a lens that directs the light.

That being said , 6ft away hanging on a 45 , the radiating rays will take a few bounces before ever making contact.

Then when she says I love this, we will make the turn and burn , lol.

Enjoy

Smokey0418

Smokey0418

Couple more weeks and I will be starting new seeds again and yes I will pull my fixtures to the top of my gorilla tent with the extension and will light it up with bouncing.

Ddebrazza

Ddebrazza

Gotcha, I have this little table in my tent so my light is at 24-28'' above soil level. At least this light has the option of dimming. The Light Meter App for Android is pretty dope.

Top Bottom