Squirrel Control

• Thread starter caregiverken
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
We have lost a few plants to Squirrels...and have and are STILL trying several ways of keeping them from killing all out plants

Tanglefoot everywhere...Havaheart traps, Mouse traps (to scare em) Repellants of all types

Those littlefuckers are smart

Had to wrap several trunks with wire..

They are currently chewing lower branches in this GC bed.
In the !st pic you can see the damage the Squirrels did
My wife came up with this Bottle idea (with tangle foot on top)

Bottleanddamage
Bottles
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I am gonna go and buy a big bag of cracked corn and feed em so they leave my plants alone. (another of my wifes Ideas)

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
They are too smart for that Sunbiz..

They see me coming and sound the alarm to the others!

they all hide while in out there

I have a little solar powered radio playing out there right now
( i think the plants like it...Hope the squirrels don't)

S

Sunbiz1

They are too smart for that Sunbiz..

They see me coming and sound the alarm to the others!

they all hide while in out there

Squirrels like pot, particularly the seeds. Before I was a grower, I used to have bird-feeders in my back yard. I also had a squirrel that was very tame, would eat peanuts out of my hand. Back then I was smoking seeded Colombian, used to keep my stash in the old film containers before digital cams.

One day I left a full film container on the back deck, and he stole it while I was working in the yard. I found the chewed container and a few buds by the side door. Nobody believed me at the time, so I put seeds into a second container and took pictures.

I would try your suggestion, feed them. They love feed corn, and they also like to bury it. If you like decorative corn, they'll plant an entire crop for you.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I honestly think that if you feed them corn you're going to have a worse problem by next year. Because of all the new baby squirrels. I really don't care for squirrels, especially the SoCal ground squirrels. They smell really bad, cannabilize each other, and are known to raid birds' nests and have quite an impact on the migratory species whose nests end up being raided.

I'd go nuclear on their little squirrelly asses. Fuck the pellet gun, a .22 so they won't hear you pumping it up. Also, LOTS and lots of capsaicin on every surface they're chewing (a really hot hot sauce, mixed up as a spray). Reapply weekly is my suggestion.

J

Jsän

can you cage the girls completely?

i used to make my own bird cages. the rolls of caging are cheap.
the pliers and hardware will be about $20.

that or i can rent ya my cat...hes a BEAST on rodentia

Blaze

Blaze

You need three things:

A lawn chair.

A cold beer.

A scoped .22 rifle or something similar.

Squirrels are pretty stupid and don't have much of a memory. Good chance if you post up on the lawn chair at a spot where you can see the garden, and stay still and quite, they will come out again and then you can get a clean shot. Just crack a beer, sit back and relax, and see what happens.

I've tried every repellant you can think of, and the bottom line, is that if that squirrel is hungry enough, it will ignore the repellant and eat the plant. I wouldn't feed them either - that will just make more squirrels for next year.

In my opinion the ground squirrels we have around here should be shot on sight. They are non-native, and do a LOT of damage to many native species and to the environment. Also, they LOVE to kill plants, unlike the native tree squirrels. We kill them any chance we get around here.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
feeding is a really bad idea

if your in city limits though you cant really shoot em either though

otherwise Id pump em full of lead

they do make really good single pump pellet guns though

StickyBuds420

StickyBuds420

yeah a .22 would do the trick plus give you a little entertainment haha

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
yeah a .22 would do the trick plus give you a little entertainment haha

I have tried that

Let me tell y'all the story...

Back when they killed one of my 5 footers I went hunting...was easy to find a big fat one on the wood pile I nailed him 1st shot and went over to take a look.

He Had to weigh 7 pounds! and he was still kicking..in fact he was running except his feet where in the air.:sweating

So i put the 22 rifle barrel under his chin and fired it.

Then, He got up.:sign0065:

He tried to run into his hole and finally keeled over side ways again..trying to run!.:sweating
I had to put the gun in his ear and shoot him a 3rd time!!

So, No I won't be shooting any more of them. Im not even completely sure is is squirrels. could be mice. What ever it is they will be eating well if they like corn.

We have tons of Oak trees dropping Tons of acorns everywhere...Im sure the squirrels are busy with them and will have plenty of food. But they may be running low on edible ones right now.

I would rather feed them than loose plants to them

I won't have this problem next year....I will be growing inside a greenhouse and Ima gonna make that sucker Critter proof!

I suppose I could cage some of the plants,,, I would need a big cage and I don't wanna spend the time and the money for just a couple more months of use I will get from it..

I think we are gonna try the pepper and garlic spray next.. thanks Sea.

but the food stays for now :hi

wobbly goblin

wobbly goblin

peanut butter in rat traps that are wired to something heavy so the tree rats can't drag them off

Top Bottom