Stabilizing?

• Thread starter Cali64SS
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Cali64SS

I am just starting to get into the breeding side of this. I'm curious as to how long it will/should take to stabilize a strain? How many generations should be sufficient? Thanks in advance.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
f4 plants tend to be pretty uniform - f5 is considered IBL or in bred line

C

Cali64SS

Ideally, how long should it take to get to the f4 and f5 stage?

cannarado

cannarado

Premium Member
Supporter
Ideally, how long should it take to get to the f4 and f5 stage?

Years. If youre starting from scratch then figure(these are ballpark minimum #'s):

6 weeks veg
8 weeks bloom(figuring on an 8 week strain)
3-4 weeks to dry the beans
17-18 weeks total to make each cross

18 weeks x f5 = 90 weeks = 1.73 years

Keep in mind this is w/o any problems that can and will arise. Figure on at least a good 2 years to make an f5 from scratch

C

Calicannabiseed

I am just starting to get into the breeding side of this. I'm curious as to how long it will/should take to stabilize a strain? How many generations should be sufficient? Thanks in advance.

2 Years minimum to get to F5

D

dorkvan420

Has taken my Chunky Monkey & DeadBlue just coming up on 2 years now, finished F4's and now taking some and developing an adaptable outdoor with more pollen I have received from friends of a local only strain that will purple anything up and is strong outdoors.That along with some Sugar Ape males I have going and in 2 more years I will have hopefully 3 to 4 more stable strains to enjoy, and by no means am I a breeder of any kind, just playing!!!

cannarado

cannarado

Premium Member
Supporter
Yeah im in the same boat. I'd probably call myself a hobbyist. I always associate a "breeder" with someone who does it for a living. Im just giving out crosses to my bros for them to enjoy!

Lemonhoko

Lemonhoko

GBS Genetics
Lots depend on how big of a field you are choosing from. If you are running 20 plants it will take you much faster to get to f4 then if you are running hundreds.
It has teken me 4 years to select and cull down to f4 from the stock I have been working. As soon as I get to IBL status, I am going to share this BerryWhite I have been working.
I guarantee it will open eyes....or should I say, drop their eyelids, lol.

~Lem

B

BluntForce

Or you could go another route to stabilisation which is cubing, the method used to bring C99 to the world and give us all a taste of Princess. This method however isn't IMO as good as the methods listed above simply due to the gentic bottlenecking which can take place and if you aren't experienced then you could easily bottleneck an unwanted trait into the strain and have to start over again. If you have the time though why not try a little bit of both? I'm an amatuer breeder myself and I love trying different things. Even when they end in failure I've learned a valuabe lesson eg: learning strains not to cross to other strains I wish to keep the traits from as they may be dominant and I then end up with something expressing very little of what I'd hoped for and instead is almost the same as the strain used which I didn't want to dominate the cross. I'm sorry about the bad description, hope you get my drift. Basically learning which strains pass on their traits in a dominant way and whether to use a male or female of the strain one wishes to maintain the traits of in a cross. I'm not doing a good job of explaining this so I'll just end it here.

C

Calicannabiseed

Or you could go another route to stabilisation which is cubing, the method used to bring C99 to the world and give us all a taste of Princess. This method however isn't IMO as good as the methods listed above simply due to the gentic bottlenecking which can take place and if you aren't experienced then you could easily bottleneck an unwanted trait into the strain and have to start over again. If you have the time though why not try a little bit of both? I'm an amatuer breeder myself and I love trying different things. Even when they end in failure I've learned a valuabe lesson eg: learning strains not to cross to other strains I wish to keep the traits from as they may be dominant and I then end up with something expressing very little of what I'd hoped for and instead is almost the same as the strain used which I didn't want to dominate the cross. I'm sorry about the bad description, hope you get my drift. Basically learning which strains pass on their traits in a dominant way and whether to use a male or female of the strain one wishes to maintain the traits of in a cross. I'm not doing a good job of explaining this so I'll just end it here.

Don't be so hard on yourself you explained it perfect!!!:banana1sv6:

Latest posts

Top Bottom