Stalled plants - root prob?

• Thread starter Darth Fader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Darth Fader

Darth Fader

I have a couple plants that have have stalled in early veg and I suspect that unhealthy roots are the problem. I've seen this before where after transplant, they just stall completely and eventually start to yellow and droop. They'll last for a long while, but the autopsy shows that the roots never grew after transplant.

In this particular case, these were clones that went into 3"'coco cups. No droop yet, bit they are fading slowly into a light green. They have been in the cups for about 3-4 wks and haven't grown. This last wk they've been under 400w, prior to that a single cfl (wasn't expecting much growth during that time). Any idea how I can revive them to healthy vigor?

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

Yes, replace them with new clones. You've already lost too much time on them, hell by now with healthy growth you could practicaly be throwing them into flower. Culling plants is often the hardest part of growing cannibis for many people. Its the part I cherish most because I hate waste. If a plant wants to be a lazy ass stragler, kick its ass outta there.

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

You and your compost tea. :D

Super thrive smells like pickles and it makes me happy every time I open the jug. Maybe brewing up some compost tea will have the same effect?

Chobble

Chobble

You and your compost tea. :D

Super thrive smells like pickles and it makes me happy every time I open the jug. Maybe brewing up some compost tea will have the same effect?
Compost tea makes nature work for you, I think you could even add your super thrive to the tea with a little molasses and you would get some mean stuff. Make sure to put plenty of compost in too.

Chobble

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

Is there sufficient drainage in the cups?

A fantastic question. Rockwool drains ina gradient fashion from top to bottom. Many people water when the surface feels dry even though there is still plenty of water lower into the cube. Thus over watering. What entropy is suggesting (i assume) is that you may have nutrient lockout due to poor drainage. Also very possible.

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

Is there sufficient drainage in the cups?

Yes, the cups are made entirely of coco fiber. Honestly, they dry out way to often and I just flushed them all. ppms were plenty/ridiculously high - 1100-1750, but they didn't show any burn or deficiency. In the past I would place these 3" coco cups straight into a smartpot and just let the roots grow through the coco. Usually works just fine but on my last run I tried twice on the same smartpot and it didn't take either time. I ended up pulling them out and seeing that the roots hadn't grown through the cup into the smartpot. I suppose I could have had salt buildup in that particular smartpot. That's always possible. Symptoms are always the same - plant color fades to lime green & leaves grow droopy -it basically stops uptaking nutes.

I'd like to learn to fix this problem whenever I see it - and help others to do the same. It could very well happen to my bonsai moms & I'll be screwed if I don't learn to fix it.

Good suggestions so far. I'm trying 500 ppm mix w/ 1/2 ml superthrive tonight and next feeding will add some bennies. Need to find a source for tea or maybe try some diff roots products rhizotonic, etc. I suppose I could peel off the cup and shave off anything that doesn't look healthy.

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

Back to my original suggestion though... If you just took more clones, they would root, take off, and be far more productive in all areas than your recovered plants.

Are you doing some dirt/hydro hybrid growstyle?
... Thats it, post some pics!

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

Back to my original suggestion though... If you just took more clones, they would root, take off, and be far more productive in all areas than your recovered plants.

Are you doing some dirt/hydro hybrid growstyle?
... Thats it, post some pics!

No man, steee-raight coco. But again, I have to learn to deal w/ this in case it happens to my bonsai moms. And because it's not the first time, I know it will happen again. I did just cut some more clones, but it'll take 3-4 wks to get them to the same size.

Honestly, the roots are air-pruned in coco cups. I definitely have issues with overdrying - which probably damages the roots and subsequently makes it susceptible to overwatering in a vicious cycle BECAUSE the roots are damaged. And finally, bad salt buildup even though I only feed at 750 ppm. We'll see if the flush helps them heal up.

Thx for your input amigo!:D

entropy99

entropy99

Honestly, the roots are air-pruned in coco cups. I definitely have issues with overdrying - which probably damages the roots and subsequently makes it susceptible to overwatering in a vicious cycle BECAUSE the roots are damaged. And finally, bad salt buildup even though I only feed at 750 ppm. We'll see if the flush helps them heal up.

Would you consider using different pots? If the coco cups are leading to your problems, it makes sense using a pot which doesn't lead to drying out so quickly which sets off a cascade effect of other problems.

Top Bottom