Stand Alone Electrical System Ideas

• Thread starter Nukesrt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nukesrt

Nukesrt

Hello, as title says does anyone have a setup of a standalone electrical system? I was thinking of using solar panels and some sort of battery to hold the power when the sun is down. i know its not as simple as it sounds and thats why im asking if anyone has done so and succeeded.

Zoneshityee

Zoneshityee

You can make a car generator work as well :D or dryer motor... alotnof alternatives

AlexGrowns

AlexGrowns

Hello, as title says does anyone have a setup of a standalone electrical system? I was thinking of using solar panels and some sort of battery to hold the power when the sun is down. i know its not as simple as it sounds and thats why im asking if anyone has done so and succeeded.
If you can get solar panels for $1 per watt just remeber that you probably need an additional $2 per watt for wiring(giant DC cables) charge controllers, switches, panels, inverters) and then you need to fasten it and structure ect.

If you get 12kw worth of solar panels what would you get what , panels are rated for the 5% of the time they are facing the perfect angle every other time they are wayyyy less than 15% eff or whatever so right away drop it by 20% then storing loses 15-20% redrawing it loses another x% time stored is a loss, line loss ect of man what do you get from 12kw of solar panels what like 6kwh per day with 12 hours of sun 6kwh can run a single 1000w bulf for 6 hours with no fans so dude with a million dollar setup maybe you could run a 400w light 18 hours a day.

heres another angle if you need 50w per sq ft off the top of my head a sqft dfelivers about 110w of energy from the sun at peak and they are at max 17% eff so every sq ft of panels will produce 19w about a third of most days so with 100% perfect panels with full sun everyday and no loss of equipement you need a very large surface area of solar panels than growing space I almost think [aying diesel fuel eveyday would save you money upfront AND in the long run

I was in to this stuff a while ago and it's sad about how non vialable it actually is most of the time, my numbe3rs might be wrong off thew top of my head but the point is prob not worh it.

EDIT: Oh and we never even got into batterie banks!! So add that to the list of expenses.

AlexGrowns

AlexGrowns

its for a 4ftx10ft room and i understand itll be a little costy but im sure itll be cheaper than paying the city in the long run, im planning on using this for minimum 3 years or whatever lifetime the equipment has.
Are you in Australia whewre the power is like 10X the rate of North America, just sayinbg cause where I live it's mathematically imp[ossible to be cheaper than paying the bill, by the time you pay off all the equipement you need to buy new batteries and the panels are either all not working or running at 50% eff, the on;y reaso to do it would be for stealth maybe? I feel like you could spend $40'000 to not pay $180 per month takes 19 years to break even, that equipement lastsfor less than that and eff drop fast after 5-10 years.

Hate to burst ur dream man but solar sucks.

If you somehow run it "live" and pump that dc into led's lines out to accept the same voltage, u would not need batteries, inverters, at all but goddamn thats some engineering and would it even be viable? If it comes to that get a greenhouse and pay to heat it? or just insulated room and pay for light?

Don't stop being a dreamer though brother!

I wonder if wind is worthi it lol or even worse.

Seems like burning coal is the cheapest.

Galvatron

Galvatron

If you are looking for stealth from the power company. (They will always know how much power you are using and when you are using it.) Consider the following: AC to DC converter to charge a bank of batteries. The DC supplies an inverter for lights, fans, etc. The converter can be on a timer so the power company will see power draw intermittently on and off. The batteries will provide power to the inverter when the converter is off. NOTE: All of the components in this type of system should well exceed the maximum power requirements of the room. Example: If the room needs 1000 watts the inverter should be at least 2000 watts, or more. It will be expensive but the power company will not see the typical 18 hour on 6 hour off light cycle.

AlexGrowns

AlexGrowns

I think my math was wrong on 12kw panels only running a 400w inb the end, in Cali it says a 1kw panel will produce 1400kwh per year so 4 per day = 48kwh - all efficiencies if that number is true maybe its closer 24kwh per day which would be 1500w of power... way more than 400w but still I don't think you will get your money back.

Edit: 24kwh/18when vegging 18 hrs per day

Zoneshityee

Zoneshityee

Here is a YouTube video with how to build self sufficient power đź‘Ť
Watch "How to make car generator work permanently" on YouTube
Id use radio frequency personally.. also free after built here ya go
Watch "Tesla's Secret finally understood (Gerard Morin)" on YouTube

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

OP, where are you located and what is your cost per KWH?

Are you doing this in your primary residence?

In the US at least there are lots of kickbacks from local utilities and tax refunds for installing solar and similar stuff. In the right location, the subsidies do in fact allow for this to be a cost savings over time. It's possible, but you gotta really work it.

AlexGrowns

AlexGrowns

Oh I almost forgot to add the power crystal *click* *electric whirling sounds* "IT'S WORKING!"

AlexGrowns

AlexGrowns

OP, where are you located and what is your cost per KWH?

Are you doing this in your primary residence?

In the US at least there are lots of kickbacks from local utilities and tax refunds for installing solar and similar stuff. In the right location, the subsidies do in fact allow for this to be a cost savings over time. It's possible, but you gotta really work it.
Now that's good advice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom