Standalone IR & UV lights, recommendations?

• Thread starter ItsAllMedical
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ItsAllMedical

ItsAllMedical

I'm looking for some separate UV & IR lamps to introduce during flowering. I'm getting a Kingbrite but they don't seem to do them as separate units.

Good brands to go for? I know with fluorescent/CFL the UV output diminishes quite quickly; not sure if LED suffers from this problem.

Homesteader

Homesteader

I would just get reptile bulbs if you want to try UV. You could also grab some infrared incandescent as well. Personally I wouldn't put much money into this venture

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Some companies have sold t-5 tubes that I believe were made for tanning beds (hmm… how would I know that?) that will bake your plants. Get reptile lights for desert lizards, which should give you 10-15% UVB and they won't burn your plants (on their own).

As far is IR goes, I don't know anyone who uses them.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Forgot to mention also that UV bulbs or diodes both have a short life. I think reptile bulbs need to be replaced every 3 months if you are looking for the full UV amount rated on the bulb. UV diodes probably last a bit longer but they are pricey

ItsAllMedical

ItsAllMedical

Thanks all. Ended up going for the Kingbrite with the IR & UV included. I had been going to purchase the 3000k alone & figured it might be worth supplementing with UV in flower, but went for the next model up. Figured it was worth the extra money - not for the UV but for the fact it's IP65.

Pondracer

Pondracer

I run this.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Thanks all. Ended up going for the Kingbrite with the IR & UV included. I had been going to purchase the 3000k alone & figured it might be worth supplementing with UV in flower, but went for the next model up. Figured it was worth the extra money - not for the UV but for the fact it's IP65.
Be very careful around UV. It's harsh stuff

ItsAllMedical

ItsAllMedical

Be very careful around UV. It's harsh stuff

Thanks for the tip; I only bought this one because it's possible to turn the UV & IR off with separate switches.

I was reading though that even CFLs emit some small amount of UV. It got me wondering if it was contributing to my grow in some way. For the last few years I've been using 65W CFL for both veg and flower; they're now at the end of their lifespan. They were what was affordable then without using astronomical amounts of power. I've produced some amazing buds with them, however it has taken longer than I would have hoped, I'm picking due to suboptimal light levels.

novazeus

novazeus

i bought 4 t5 4' fixtures for $50 (amazon), and 4 agromax pure uv bulbs for $87(htg) delivered and two bn-link mechanical timers for $18 delivered. (amazon)
ran my first cycle of 15 minutes twice in the middle of lights on last night. nobody died.
i've got 3 in their last 3 weeks in a 4x8 and the middle plant has a little powdery mildew so i'm curious to see if h2o2 plus uv will kill it.
putting the other two with 4 plants in a 5x10 that i'm gonna run uv from flip to finish.
pretty cheap experiment considering i'm only a medical oral extract user with needs of more than a pound a month just to live.(i have no idea of how many street pounds i've bought in the past 7 years at $2700-$3000).
trust me, taking 1200 to 1600mg of extract daily isn't recreational. i've yet to meet any human or animal that likes taking extract orally.
anybody with experience with uv, please chime in.

dirt_wizard

dirt_wizard

Solacure Super B, best price/performance/strength ratio of anything. The stronger reptile bulbs are OK but cost more, and just ok. Agromax Pure UV is way too harsh and a bad spectrum.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I’ve been told in the Central Valley in Cali it’s going for 600 a pound now. Probably what’s left over from last year‘s crop. I am acquainted with a guy Who has 40 from last year. Can anyone say flooded market!

LivingBlackSoil

LivingBlackSoil

How do you like the light?

Latest posts

Top Bottom