Started first grow

• Thread starter HydroPL
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DoLLa420

looking good man I got a hydro grow goin as well 18 gallon res tho:), I'll be strappin in for this one..

D

DoLLa420

I have it up at another forum..but I'll be makin mine hear today..:)

D

DoLLa420

Aye I just uploaded a few pics DroPL to thcfarmer go check my album..:banana1sv6:

H

HydroPL

Pic Update

Gotta snap of the stem and such, looks healthy imo.
Still havent a clue as to the levels of pH and ppm or even temperature lol
well here they are
DSC 0709

DSC 0710

DSC 0711

DSC 0712

DSC 0713

DSC 0714

S

smokestack23

Nice little show!

Hope you don't mind a little constructive criticism.
Lights- You can/should lower them. Those CFLs can be almost touching the leaves. Also, it's good that you have them mounted horizontally so that a good portion of the light goes straight down (lots of people mount them vert and all the light "shoots" out the circumference)..BUT..if you put reflectors on them you'll notice a substantial difference. It isn't optimal but you CAN even make them out of ali foil and just set one on each bulb. Cheesy but works and you WILL see a difference.

And finally...imo, that little plant is gonna get completely shaded by the big plant. It will probably end up looking like just another lower branch of the big plant but one that gets no light. I can't remember now if you said if they're the same age.
It's hard to grow two or more plants at different "ages" from one res as they have different feeding requirements. Once the roots are intertwined you can't even pull one plant out to put it in another flush tub near harvey time.

All that said...you're doing it right. THIS is the way you learn and figure things out.
It's definitely a learn as you grow hobby man and unfortunately, for most of us, experience is a great teacher.
It's a bit different now with the internet (I sound like a fossil when I say that) and so much access to so much info and access to other growers. Back in the day you got a book or a few and tried to figure out as you went. There was a LOT of.."ok well that won't happen NEXT crop..." or "shit...it wasn't the water it was the rockwool causing the pH to climb...OK now we know for NEXT TIME..".

Now days you don't have to suffer crop failure or reductions everytime you learn something.
A lot of people start big with big money investments and get lucky but a lot of the time they don't get so lucky and well...$$$$$

YOU'll learn for next to nothing. I'd say that within 3 crops you'll look back at this one and say to yourself.."wow..I can't believe I was using this or doing that". Plus...if you arent rich, it's a good way to ease into the investment. Upgrade a bit at a time. Your next investment? HID lighting!

PEACE

H

HydroPL

Nice little show!

Hope you don't mind a little constructive criticism.
Lights- You can/should lower them. Those CFLs can be almost touching the leaves. Also, it's good that you have them mounted horizontally so that a good portion of the light goes straight down (lots of people mount them vert and all the light "shoots" out the circumference)..BUT..if you put reflectors on them you'll notice a substantial difference. It isn't optimal but you CAN even make them out of ali foil and just set one on each bulb. Cheesy but works and you WILL see a difference.

And finally...imo, that little plant is gonna get completely shaded by the big plant. It will probably end up looking like just another lower branch of the big plant but one that gets no light. I can't remember now if you said if they're the same age.
It's hard to grow two or more plants at different "ages" from one res as they have different feeding requirements. Once the roots are intertwined you can't even pull one plant out to put it in another flush tub near harvey time.

All that said...you're doing it right. THIS is the way you learn and figure things out.
It's definitely a learn as you grow hobby man and unfortunately, for most of us, experience is a great teacher.
It's a bit different now with the internet (I sound like a fossil when I say that) and so much access to so much info and access to other growers. Back in the day you got a book or a few and tried to figure out as you went. There was a LOT of.."ok well that won't happen NEXT crop..." or "shit...it wasn't the water it was the rockwool causing the pH to climb...OK now we know for NEXT TIME..".

Now days you don't have to suffer crop failure or reductions everytime you learn something.
A lot of people start big with big money investments and get lucky but a lot of the time they don't get so lucky and well...$$$$$

YOU'll learn for next to nothing. I'd say that within 3 crops you'll look back at this one and say to yourself.."wow..I can't believe I was using this or doing that". Plus...if you arent rich, it's a good way to ease into the investment. Upgrade a bit at a time. Your next investment? HID lighting!

PEACE

all constructive criticism appreciated! i lowered the lights a little bit. i realize that the little one is gonna suffer so before any further action im planning on transplanting it somewhere else.
as far as my limitation of space goes do you guys think it would be okay to switch to flowering within the next few days? the plant is ~6 inches or so maybe a little more....ive read that they grow about 3 times their size during flowering? i only have 27 inches for them to expand in...

G

Gr33n

yes i would switch them over now. even now you are risking your plant being to big to fully grow in there.

H

HydroPL

yea ill be switching them tomorrow.

soo its been a few days and i check on these babies and the res is empty!! must've been really thirsty...anyway here are the newest pics
DSC 0715

DSC 0716

DSC 0717

shes about 8inches tall now

H

HydroPL

4-5 days into flowering

how long does it usually take to start seeing signs of male/female traits?

DSC 0722

DSC 0724

Top Bottom