Starter plug quesiton

• Thread starter Konto
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Konto

Konto

Ok so I wanted to try a new method of getting my girls going, I've always wondered about these and went out and bought some. Right now I got 8 seedlings going in starer plugs, 3 of them were starting to break through and show roots, so I placed all of them in 6x6 cubes with the hole in it. humidity is starting at around 55% now, was lower earlier. How long does it generally take for the seedlings to push through the plugs? Seems like they are a little tight almost, got them under 432 watt T5 with mix spectrum, I've been staying ontop of them and keeping them moist. Anyone on here have some experience with them and possibly able to shed some light with me? Seems to be taking quite some time to get going, growth has pretty much stopped completely it seems. Using just normal tap water right now with GH Rapid Start added to it.

***edit***

idk if it maters but they are Sun Leaves Super Starter Plugs

Konto

Konto

Let me rephrase my question, sorry.

Using starter plugs, has anyone ever come across the problem of them taking an abnormally long time to root through the plugs and into the medium of choice they are using?

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

yes ive also observed interupted root growth my evolution has went from rapid rooters to rockwool to me putting coco inside of two inch basket and i love it !!!!

Konto

Konto

yes ive also observed interupted root growth my evolution has went from rapid rooters to rockwool to me putting coco inside of two inch basket and i love it !!!!

How long did it take in your experience for the roots to grow through the plugs into your medium? I'm starting to think I should maybe have them dry out a little bit more so the roots start stretchin out, maybe that'll help?

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

well ill put it this way i disect the roots of every plant i harvest and the roots from clones on rapid rooters and many of the likes with different names and rockwool and my clones from coco in 2inch basket are better everytime i can give you advice on how to grow in those but i would consider an alternative....are you transplanting into soil or hydro?

Konto

Konto

Hydro

They are in 6x6 inch rockwool cubes now with a pre-made hole ontop to put the plugs into.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

hmmmmm whats your final root space situation gonna look like if you dont mind me asking?

Konto

Konto

well even once they get to the bottom of the rockwool there are clay pebbles, doing an ebb n flow. But the roots haven't even started growing into the RW. 95% is still all in the plugs.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

ah ha ok there are so many hydro wiz's here but i dont mind making suggestions till they chime in best way to do this is describe environment to the tee and nutrient regimen and ph and tds :cigar:

Konto

Konto

T5 8 Bulb 432 Watt mix spectrum of blue and red.
Humidifier, humidity is at 55% right now.
Seedling germinated in Sun Leaves Super Starter Plugs
6x6 rw cubes
Phresh filter
Hurricane inline fan
3 fans are blowing on the girls
Temp is at 80 exactly
Running lights 24/0, should I maybe switch to 18/6 and see what happens?
Mylar on the walls

I will be buying a digital dim able 1000watt system with Galaxy Magnum 8" XXXL this weekend.

As for nutrients right now, just tap water with GH Rapid Start. PPM is at 215 if i remember correctly and always watering between 5.7 to 5.9.
Seedlings were in a dome with a heat pad as I said before, do you think that the roots aren't growing more because I've been keeping it moist constantly? Should I let em dry out a bit so the roots go searching? I cannot stress enough that they look perfect right now, I'm gonna post a pic here in a few mints though.

Oh yeah, strain is Big Bud x White Widow from Female Seeds and one Boss Hogg from Cali Connection.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Sounds good so did you have your starters growing first or you started seeds with starter plugs in rockwool right away?

Konto

Konto

Sounds good so did you have your starters growing first or you started seeds with starter plugs in rockwool right away?

They were in the plugs for a little over a week before putting into RW cubes, just did it as soon as I saw some roots coming out of the 3 of em.

http://i1305.invalid.com/albums/s547/KontoGrow/SAM_0488_zps97e6ef09.jpg
This is one of the BB X WW

http://i1305.invalid.com/albums/s547/KontoGrow/SAM_0489_zpsf586b3f4.jpg
This is my Dream Lotus from Bodhi Seeds, exact same method of growing from begining except in diff plug

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

I will throw it out there, no expert but I've experienced with rockwool, that it holds alot of moisture if your not careful, maybe they are too moist.. for roots they like a little dry so they can look for water

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

I wanna chime in! I did a side by side germinating different seeds (various fruits and veggies by the way) i used starter plugs(pink bag), root riots, super shooters, aok rw sheet, and rw mini blocks. Used black propagation trays with about 1/2" water level. Also had a seedling heat mat under each tray.

I had more trouble with the rock wool based cubes. Best results were from the root riots and super shooters. Faster seed germination and sprouts with a higher success ratio.

I do all clones and seeds in root riots. Those who are gifted either dont have any problem placing peat based plugs into rockwool cubes. I suggest giving them a shot and dont transplant into another medium until u see sufficient roots emerging from the cubes. Dust them with some mychrohazae during transplant and bam! Perty plants!

I dunno if my rant helped but i feel much better. Much luck! Z

Konto

Konto

Think it could be because they aren't getting enough food? I just checked it and was at 200ppm. I've been looking at a bunch of BB x WW grow journals and it seems like its likes to eat a lot. Eh? Anyone?

Cort

Cort

Roots need that wet/dry cycle. As the medium dries the roots grow searching for food and water. Try not wetting the plug, just the rockwool. Wet the rockwool from the bottom till damp, not soaking wet. If you are at 200ppm you will have no worries about build up for a bit. The plug should sponge enough from the rockwool to keep it good.

I never did 6" cubes tho so take my .02 for what its worth.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

A nicely watered rock wool will drip when squeezed not pour when squeezed part of its strength is air to water ratio too much water in rock wool makes less room for air .,,, you might have lazy plant syndrome from over watering

Latest posts

Top Bottom