Starting a small breeding project, advice (Green Crack X Fire OG)

• Thread starter phenotyper
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
phenotyper

phenotyper

So usually, I just grow grow grow, but I've had a bit of a hankering to try my hand at breeding (SCIENCE!). For my first attempt, I was to use colloidal silver to reverse one of my green crack clones to pollinate my fire og kush. I know the resulting phenotypes will be extremely varied, but I am mostly looking to grow them out and find a nice plant that I can clone and continue to propagate asexually.

I am very interested in hearing how growers quarantine their cuts. My main plan was to build or buy a very small cabinet, douse a GC in CS, and then let it pollinate a bunch of Fire OG clones. My main concern is getting pollen anywhere near my main flowering room. This would cause extreme sad faces.

Because of this, my other location will be less than ideal when it comes to lighting and environmental controls. Likely, it will be shoved in a closet and using CFLs for lighting. This means my lighting will be nowhere near the quality that I usually flower under and temps will likely be higher, with less fresh air. I know, I know, that SUCKS.

BUT, is this going to be a problem for producing some seeds? Can anyone offer advice for quarantining a small breeding project?

I am definitely new to the breeding game, so any advice or criticisms of this idea will be very appreciated. Thanks.

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
It sounds like you have idea down bro..as for spreading pollen..try not to wear the same clothes from room to room when possible..if possible a inline setup in the room like say to a hepa or carbon will help with pollen escaping..as for the less than optimal conditions..who cares!! you will still e able to produce some seeds for yourself,but you def get whatcha put in..i say go for it!!

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

fyi pollen is roughly 25 micron and hepa filters go down to 10 micron. using this you can build isolation chambers or incorporate into your flower room filtration to reduce the risk of rogue pollen.

isolation chambers are used successfully by some people. they use a clear tote and install hepa filters over openings then use pc fans and seal a pollinated or male plant inside of it and take it in the flower room. when ready to open you can take it outside (and far away) from your precious virgin girls in your flower room. i dont have big enough balls to have them in my room like that but some people do. one trip popping it open could be the most expensive blooper you've made lol.

Subcool had a great article on his method. he uses sealed flower rooms and makes sure he does not have to open them for a few days (plants watered, co2 tanks topped off) when he goes to pollinate in his other room in the same facility. he goes into his breeding room and shakes the shit out of the male in the room with the females in it causing a dust in the whole room. he then proceeds to wash down the whole room and the plant after the dust has settled and gives the pollinated plant 3 washes with water over a 3 day period i believe before he takes it into his main flower room and considers it good.

pura

pura

best of luck to you bro... that's one hell of a cross...keep us updated!

phenotyper

phenotyper

Wow, great replies everyone, thanks a ton. I love the idea of using hepa filters inline to make sure that no pollen can escape. Hopefully I can get this project started in the next month or so.

I will definitely update this thread as I progress.

phenotyper

phenotyper

I was actually thinking of calling it firecracker. Too obvious?

joeca1i

joeca1i

Heres my 2 cents.I like to pollinate outdoors under the natural sunshine.But first I like too grow out the female,and make sure its not a weak plant.Meaning it does'nt get PM,its vigor,the the way it grows etc..Same with the male..I like to start in the winter (soca1i),and harvest the beans around this time.Also like doing this during reg. outdoor flowering time,with the same plants that past the test in the soca1 winter weather..

Top Bottom