Starting Organic

• Thread starter Licht vader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Licht vader

Licht vader

Hello,
I'm new to this whole growing ordeal and have a little bit of anxiety about it. This is for medical reason and I'm starting out with an organic super soil since it yields the healthiest and best tasting.
My ingredients are
- Coco Coir (BushDocter Coco•Loco) mixed with bat guano
- Pennington Epson Salt
- Epsoma Garden Lime
- Blood meal
- Azomite
- Exteme gardening Mykos
- Down to earth fish bone meal
Am I missing anything else to add to my soil while it sits?
What should help keep it healthy when I start using this?
Anything to watch out for?
Will just watering and training be all that's required after?
Thank you for any help and review.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ok, to start, you're not in soil, you're in coco coir that you're amending. Soil is its own beast and it is well defined.

I would leave out the garden lime entirely, especially since you're using coir as your base media without compost, worm castings or peat moss. Only the blood meal really needs time to compost, I tend to use the fish bone meal straight in all applications, including my aquaponics.

Have you gone through the organic soil threads? Many mixes are posted in them. :)

Oh, no, you won't be able to get away with anything close to 'water only' with this mix.

Honestly, if you were to ask my advice before this list of ingredients I would have suggested you get a premium quality organic potting soil and amend that. Specifically because your base media is coir, you're going to need to ensure you're providing enough Ca that isn't bound to a carbonate molecule, from the very beginning.

Soilbrother1

Soilbrother1

I second that! Go to forums, select indoor or outdoor depending on how your growing. Then click on organic growing. There is alot of info there! Im glad you are interested in organic growing. Taste and flavor are true qualities that stand out using an all organic method.

I recommend using a base soil of Roots Organic 707 and adding ammendments from there. Ensure you give it ample time to "cook" 30 days or so. If your concerned about investment, no worries bro, if it makes you feel better you can recycle soil from previous grows and continue to ammend it. Stay away from miracle grow and botttled nutes if you can- some exceptions apply and you will know whether or not a nutrient is organic by checking threads.

The best advice I could ever give is to do research on products before you buy. Dont let the cool guy at the grow store convince you that you need something. Write down what he suggests and do a search here for answers in the forum. Not everyone here is an expert either. DO YOUR research. These are YOUR babies.

My friend, you can read all the posts, all the books, all the magazines you want; however putting it into practice is a whole different learning experience. Happy gardening and best of luck in your search for the truth!

Last edited:
D

dottyStr8Up

hey whats going on peeps. I've been thinking about running Roots Organic Uprising 3 part ferts with roots organic potting mix. and i will also be adding organism xl. I've been doing my research and was thinking about doing a drain-to-waste system, feeding daily(hydro soil method). i will be using a 45w LED overhead light with a 10w LED for grow lights. i was wondering if anybody could tell me how this would work, or if anybody has used the 3 part Uprising ferts from Roots Organic, and what sort of results have you seen from your grow???

keiksweat

keiksweat

hey whats going on peeps. I've been thinking about running Roots Organic Uprising 3 part ferts with roots organic potting mix. and i will also be adding organism xl. I've been doing my research and was thinking about doing a drain-to-waste system, feeding daily(hydro soil method). i will be using a 45w LED overhead light with a 10w LED for grow lights. i was wondering if anybody could tell me how this would work, or if anybody has used the 3 part Uprising ferts from Roots Organic, and what sort of results have you seen from your grow???
45 watts and ten watts is not a lot to flower a plant mate,I was gonna say about the super soil.you do know to only put a layer of it in the bottom third of the pot,then use a good off the shelf soil for the rest when you transplant your young en into it.?super soil alone would burn the shit out of a young clone or seedling.you can buy supersoil ready made from build a soil,make life was for your first go.and roots organic's is perfect to use as a base soil.go to the organic soil pages.there's some good catz over there who will see you right.good luck,and don't give up. Keiks...

Sinner D

Sinner D

DottyStr8Up, I have been using all the ingredients you listed above with Roots Elemental, Nitro Bat Guano, Seabird Guano, and sometimes a change in the soil, but always another kind of Aurora soil. The Greenlite responds well to the (mostly) dry nutrient system. I had to amend it with a lil peat moss or the Greenlite would drain like mad. It's more of a Coco base. 707 is definitely nice stuff! I have yet to add the liquid line for fear of it being too much. But I'm loving the results so far! I used to use Fox Farms soils with General Organic (liquid) nutrients to no real good results. Since I've started the Roots line and adding some CO2 bags to both grow and bloom areas of mine, the results are just getting better every harvest. Don't be afraid to add a lil' of something else here and there to go for better results is my moto. Of course you have to be wary of throwing your plant into a tailspin, but that's what I love about organic gardening, most natural ingredients don't throw PH like other styles. But that's just me playing it safe for safe medicine.

S

ssg1fpi

Hello,
I'm new to this whole growing ordeal and have a little bit of anxiety about it. This is for medical reason and I'm starting out with an organic super soil since it yields the healthiest and best tasting.
My ingredients are
- Coco Coir (BushDocter Coco•Loco) mixed with bat guano
- Pennington Epson Salt
- Epsoma Garden Lime
- Blood meal
- Azomite
- Exteme gardening Mykos
- Down to earth fish bone meal
Am I missing anything else to add to my soil while it sits?
What should help keep it healthy when I start using this?
Anything to watch out for?
Will just watering and training be all that's required after?
Thank you for any help and review.

I wouldn't be mixing my own super soil on a first grow.
Just saying...
Cannabis plants thrive in acidic soils, they require different nutrients for different stages of growth.
Unless you specifically know what you are doing, you are going to fuck it up, everyone does.
Best advice is, keep what you've got for later grows, get a premade soil mix and a box of liquid nutrients to start with.

keiksweat

keiksweat

Or go to build a soil,buy ready made.put a good layer at the bottom of final transplant pot,and your normal soil on top.the plant will feed from the good soil until big enough,then it will gradually take what it needs from the bottom.easy peasy lemon sqeezie.works for lots of first timers.

Top Bottom