Starting outdoor?

• Thread starter Tropical
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tropical

Tropical

Hey guys, I live in a cozy home here in CR and was hoping to put one little plant of a nice strain on my backyard, which ain't that big but the weather here is pretty good all year round, never too cold never too hot. Rainy season and no rainy season.

I wanted to started but I literally have no clue. I've been reading the sticky thread on this forum but would like to know more specific about my case. I just want to try growing one good one, for personal use and see where to start, what should I grab and if there are any good guides you can link me too, really appreciated.

Chobble

Chobble

Lawdy Pot in Costa Rica. Your at the begining of your season so start some seedlings about 5, Look up a guide on telling the difference from male to female or feel free to post pictures on here when it comes to that.

I like to start seedlings in 1g pots but I feel like you could do it smaller so whatever works for you. Get some good soil from the store, or some home made compost with perlite will work well too.

Just get your seeds going and we'll help you out from there :D

Google is your friend my friend!

Chobble

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Hey Chobble, your right about everything, except he's not at the start of his grow season, Costa Rica is in the Northern Hemisphere and has the same grow season as North America.

So Tropical, if you want a harvest you should put some plants outside right now so you can hopefully get a week or 2 of veg. Make sure there in full sunlight so they can grow as big as possible, good luck.

Chobble

Chobble

Hey Chobble, your right about everything, except he's not at the start of his grow season, Costa Rica is in the Northern Hemisphere and has the same grow season as North America.

So Tropical, if you want a harvest you should put some plants outside right now so you can hopefully get a week or 2 of veg. Make sure there in full sunlight so they can grow as big as possible, good luck.

I wasnt 100% sure if costa rica is in the Northern hemisphere. The more you know.

Tropical

Tropical

Well, I was actually reading they might not get too much sun right now, it's a bit cloudy, not rainy, but cloudy, some sunlight does go through. I'm still inclined to start in two weeks since I'm ordering stuff and even if I they won't get their full potential at least get something. I'm gonna go for AK-47, original strain.

sky high

sky high

I've never grown in CR......Hell...never even been there...unfortunately....

but I know about sun cycles and day lengths and longitude..... and being that close to the Equator your days and nights are never too far from each other in length.....

like right now....yer day is 12 1/2 hours long.... sunrise 5:30 ish AM....sunset 6 'ish PM.

my guess is that you will need to grow em to size inside under 24 hours of light...then drop em outside when you want them to start flowering.

do you know anyone else there who grows/has grown outdoors?

good luck

s h

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
like right now....yer day is 12 1/2 hours long.... sunrise 5:30 ish AM....sunset 6 'ish PM.

my guess is that you will need to grow em to size inside under 24 hours of light...then drop em outside when you want them to start flowering.

s h

^^I think that may be the best way to go^^

Tropical

Tropical

I've never grown in CR......Hell...never even been there...unfortunately....

but I know about sun cycles and day lengths and longitude..... and being that close to the Equator your days and nights are never too far from each other in length.....

do you know anyone else there who grows/has grown outdoors?

good luck

s h
My concern about that is that I got to do a whole indoor investment if I'm not wrong, and the house ain't that big and wouldn't want anyone noticing, want to keep it as quiet, personal and as simple as possible.

That's correct our days basically start at 5-5:30am til 5:30-6pm. How about placing it in a small squared space I got in my backyard where I can setup a light or two to give the plant light all day/night outside. Would that also work?

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
My concern about that is that I got to do a whole indoor investment if I'm not wrong, and the house ain't that big and wouldn't want anyone noticing, want to keep it as quiet, personal and as simple as possible. That's correct our days basically start at 5-5:30am til 5:30-6pm. How about placing it in a small squared space I got in my backyard where I can setup a light or two to give the plant light all day/night outside. Would that also work?

There ya go!. Thats the way to do it. One of us should have told you that..

Supplemental lighting is a great idea!

when your ready to flower you just turn out the lights..
Go for it

Tropical

Tropical

There ya go!. Thats the way to do it. One of us should have told you that..

Supplemental lighting is a great idea!

Go for it

w00t! :D I'm ready for these babies, will be getting 6 feminized seeds next week:

Edit: Wow, they just ran out of stock, hopefully they got something next week.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

My concern about that is that I got to do a whole indoor investment if I'm not wrong, and the house ain't that big and wouldn't want anyone noticing, want to keep it as quiet, personal and as simple as possible.

That's correct our days basically start at 5-5:30am til 5:30-6pm. How about placing it in a small squared space I got in my backyard where I can setup a light or two to give the plant light all day/night outside. Would that also work?

Actually that would work, I have no idea what kind of local hardware stores you have in your area, but at Lowes and Home Depot in the States I can get a powerful outdoor MH, HPS or CFL light for under $100. If you can't get something local you could always buy online. That would work wonderfully to give your plants 18-24 hours of light then just turn it off when there big enough to flower.

EDIT: I posted this a little late :)

sky high

sky high

All you need is a flourescent light or two... either go with 1 light and top light the plant.... or buy 2 and stand them vertical and light the sides/entire plant. A small space in a closet/cabinet will be big enough for 1 plant.

outside lighting wouldn't be something I'd try. Talk about drawing attention. Not to mention the water/electricity >fun< that could go on.... yikes.

Tropical

Tropical

Actually that would work, I have no idea what kind of local hardware stores you have in your area, but at Lowes and Home Depot in the States I can get a powerful outdoor MH, HPS or CFL light for under $100. If you can't get something local you could always buy online. That would work wonderfully to give your plants 18-24 hours of light then just turn it off when there big enough to flower.

EDIT: I posted this a little late :)
We got similar convenience stores, basically almost everything in the US we're getting here hehe, lots of people coming from the US to enjoy paradise. :) I'll see what I can find, otherwise I'm definitely ordering online.

All you need is a flourescent light or two... either go with 1 light and top light the plant.... or buy 2 and stand them vertical and light the sides/entire plant. A small space in a closet/cabinet will be big enough for 1 plant.

outside lighting wouldn't be something I'd try. Talk about drawing attention. Not to mention the water/electricity >fun< that could go on.... yikes.
The backyard has high cement walls so it's not really something people would see. Basically there's a location that is kinda like a small hidden spot (like an outside open closet), I'm gonna take a pic next week and upload it.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

They sell outdoor (waterproof) lights that are 70w MH or a 100w CFL, theres lots of options for outdoor lights. Your right about the attention though, I wouldn't do it if neighbors can see your backyard.

sky high

sky high

Thought:

Possibly use those portable/stick in the ground/walkway type SOLAR lights to place out by your plant(s) so the light from them keeps the plant from flowering??? they wouldn't make them grow like "supplemental" light would...but if it worked you could use natural sunlight to grow em up and then just remove the lights when you wanna go into flower. Solar lights wouldn't draw any attention whatsover in a landscaped area.

also..make sure that wheever they are there are no porch/patio lighrs/streetlights/LIGHTS anywhere near....

good luck...and dammit.....take some pics when you get em goin!

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

We got similar convenience stores, basically almost everything in the US we're getting here hehe, lots of people coming from the US to enjoy paradise. :) I'll see what I can find, otherwise I'm definitely ordering online.

The backyard has high cement walls so it's not really something people would see. Basically there's a location that is kinda like a small hidden spot (like an outside open closet), I'm gonna take a pic next week and upload it.

I think it'll be safe to plant them based on the info you gave, as long as you feel comfortable go for it. Make sure you do good research before you buy your light because some of them don't just plug into an outdoor outlet, they have to be directly wired in, so be careful and make sure you buy the correct light and you know how to do the electrical part, it sucks when you buy something online then you end up having to return it because it won't work, so good luck and keep us updated.

Tropical

Tropical

Thought:

Possibly use those portable/stick in the ground/walkway type SOLAR lights to place out by your plant(s) so the light from them keeps the plant from flowering??? they wouldn't make them grow like "supplemental" light would...but if it worked you could use natural sunlight to grow em up and then just remove the lights when you wanna go into flower. Solar lights wouldn't draw any attention whatsover in a landscaped area.

also..make sure that wheever they are there are no porch/patio lighrs/streetlights/LIGHTS anywhere near....

good luck...and dammit.....take some pics when you get em goin!
Fortunately no lights get into my backyard and the walls are high enough for no one to notice anything.

Are you talking about something like this?

I'm gonna check a bit more and see how a fluorescent light would light my backyard, but I am almost 100% sure no one will notice anything, cause the walls are way too high, and it's concrete not wood with open spaces or anything like that.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

No, I was thinking of something like this:

Its under $100, made for outdoor use and you can get it close to your plants and it'll be good supplemental lighting for veg. The replacement bulb is only around $20 at Home Depot or Lowes, so its pretty inexpensive overall.

sky high

sky high

What you linked to is what I was talking about or something similar that is solar powered. It won't take much light to keep them in veg, FWIW. It all depends on whether or not you want to actually "veg' them 24/7.....then a MH light like lex linked would work to serve that purpose.

It all depends on how secure you are/what the laws are/how much of a nighttime beacon you wanna be/how FAST/BIG you want these plants to grow, IMO. In an area w/no lights....100 watts of MH will stand out/will be seen quite a ways off.

good luck however you decide to go.

s h

Latest posts

Top Bottom