Starting seeds directly in the uc

• Thread starter iceman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
iceman

iceman

First of thanks to you guys and gals who have shared your vast wealth and knowledge to noobs like me.

I'm getting ready to start my first uc run by germing seeds maybe via rockwool directly in the uc. Wanna know the best medium to do so in. All tips and suggestions would be appreciated.
After the build is complete will start the show.

P

paulycali

That's balsy if you ask me. I would take the germinated seedlings and transplant them into a 4" cube and place them on a flood and drain table. Get them started there first for sure. You can even transplant them into the 4" cubes and then place them into 8" net pots with some rocks around the cube. Once your done or you feel they are ready then transplant the 8" net pot into the uc system. That's what i would do but i am no uc pro so don't take my word for it but feel it's a great method. I'm sure plenty of uc farmers with chime in. Be patient as plenty of good info is about to come your way

iceman

iceman

Thanks pauly for your suggestion, but space is really limited for me and i do agree its balsy. Was thinking the cubes as suggested but concerned that they may wick up too much water. Or hopefully as the taproot pushes out i start lowering the water level and hope for the best.

Thanks again

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
If you have a drip system set up you can do this as long as you sprout them first, and really get them going in a paper towel, then drop them in the hydroton, but be gentle. I suggest burying them 3 inches so they have to fight to get up to the surface. That will make them stronger. You have to make sure you water them often. If the hydroton dries out, the seedlings will no doubt die.

The problem is you may lose some along the way. Then you are running half a system, and that is not productive. I really think you should start them in small cups and get them going to at least 4-6" before you transfer them. Space restriction is a BS excuse, because you can do this in a kitchen cupboard. It just takes a small t-5 and that's it. Let the plant FILL the cup with roots before moving it.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I have also sprouted LOTS of seeds straight in 3/8" lava rock, buried an inch below the surface...which would be a better starting media for UC then rockwool, IF you are gonna use hydroton.

iceman

iceman

Thanks for chiming in cap, have read many of your posts and definitely learned much from them.
Ok , your first suggestion sprout first then directly into the hydroton sounds doable. I have a recycle timer and a few extra pumps abouts so i would just have to do a little plumbing for the drip....
Running a half system is my biggest concern, electric around here aint cheap! but worse case i would have to take clones and start over which sucks, cuss i just wanna do a quick trial run before going the clone route. Really liking the direct sprouting sugestion but would it be possible with hydroton instead of lava rocks?
Regarding cups, what media would i use and how do i transfer?
I have some AN piranha this should take care of the roots right?

Lots of question, but i know this wonderful community has the answers. Im just waiting for my chiller pump and a few uc parts to get this thing going.

Thanks

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
first off, if you are using AN piranha, please save yourself some money and get a better product by ordering The nute and root packs from www.ogbiowar.com and use the coupon code farmer.

Next, veg them in a smaller space, or just throw a table down over the UC buckets to veg under just one light. Then you can transfer them and turn on all the lights. I suggest trying to grow them in cups fill of hydroton on an ebb flow table, and then just transfer them fully rooted in to the net pots with more hydroton.

Top Bottom