starting to flower under 24 hour light cycle

• Thread starter Dr.Green.Thumb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dr.Green.Thumb

I had these clones that ive had for about 2 weeks now. They look real happy and healthy. I had them under my 600w hps for about 2 weeks, now there just under some fluorescents. I noticed today that white hairs are coming out. The power did go out a couple times for about 30 seconds a couple weeks ago. And it's not one strain either. I had another strain starting to show some hairs.

Now will they stay budding if i keep them under a light for 24 hours a day?

If they revert back to veg(assuming there in flowering mode) will that cause them to go hermi? Which will make my buds have seeds?

I dont want buds with seeds, should i throw them out and start again?

C

cannaboo

My quess would be they are probably preflowering,...it may be more pronounced because they went from 600w HPS, to fluoros( what spectrum?). Less light can simulate coming of autumn.
Since they know that they have not be pollinated, it is time to reproduce.
If you post a pic. or two, a nutrient schedule, humidity, and your temps. more people will probably try to help you. It is all connected, and it it may be hard to tell with the info that you have posted.

S

Sea Of Green

Now will they stay budding if i keep them under a light for 24 hours a day?

If they revert back to veg(assuming there in flowering mode) will that cause them to go hermi? Which will make my buds have seeds?

I dont want buds with seeds, should i throw them out and start again?
1. Some strains are auto-flowering. So, yes, potentially they will continue to preflower and/or bud under a 24/0 light schedule. If you're not familiar with how the strains you are attempting to grow should behave under a given photoperiod regimen, then you just have to play it by ear 'til you do. That's kinda what it sounds like to me. No?

2. I've never had that experience personally. It's my personal opinion, based on my ~20 years experience in cultivating cannabis, that the hemaphrodite phenomena in cannabis must be based mostly on genetics, aside from being more rare than most would tend to believe(like I said, IMO/based on my experience). Any random individual seed-propagated plant being more/less susceptible to it would be, therefore, a roll of the dice. Meaning, some would be likely to exhibit the trait to some degree, while others would be relatively(if not totally) immune to it. In other words, some plants you couldn't force it on if you tried. Rarely some females will have one or a few semi-hidden male flowers on an entire plant(that I can attest to). However, I've never had a run in with any true hermaphrodites personally, so it's not something I lose any sleep over. In the 100's of seeds I've started, they've all ended up either male or female, not both. And the females stayed that way(don't waste my time on males much). I'd still like to see one of these hermi's in person myself. Now I'm not calling them a myth. But they gotta be pretty damn close to one.

3. Throw them out? Why would you do that? You're not seeing male flowers yet right?

Bent

Bent

I have had this happen to me as well. I placed the clones off to the side in a tent with a 600watt MH running 24/7. No nutes, just sitting in a bubble cloner and 2 different strains. Both started flowering after about 4 days. These weren't just like a 2 pistil pre-flower, but full on flowering. They ended up rooting and starting veg growth again, but NO clue what caused it.

L

lostnFound02

I would just grow it out first and see if that is the case. I had some hermies before due to the fact of stress and bad lighting on n off. At that time I had 6 and out of those 6 only 2 were hermies so I would just give it a try. It didnt have much seeds on them as much as I thought it would.

S

Sea Of Green

I have had this happen to me as well. I placed the clones off to the side in a tent with a 600watt MH running 24/7. No nutes, just sitting in a bubble cloner and 2 different strains. Both started flowering after about 4 days. These weren't just like a 2 pistil pre-flower, but full on flowering. They ended up rooting and starting veg growth again, but NO clue what caused it.
They auto-flowered(flowered with no darkness), then returned to veg under the same light timing schedule? I can think of a bunch of questions I want to ask you about that...but I'm not gonna threadjack.

So, staying on the topic, I wonder if that's what's really going on here? I've never seen, nor heard of that happening before either. Hmm...:mysterymachine:

D

Dr.Green.Thumb

I think i solved my own problem....too much 'N'

I read the ingridents in the back of everything i gave them, and it all contained high amounts of 'N'. Plus i gave it some vermi t which has worm casting, high 'N' right there too.

I read places that too much 'N' causes early flowering....

S

Sea Of Green

That doesn't sound right to me. Nitrogen promotes vegatative growth. Phosphorous promotes flowering, budding, and fruiting(among other things). I've seen plants react very favorably to relatively higher levels of N vs. P or K during the veg stage. Never have I seen it promote flowering. In any species of plant.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I never heard of too much N causing vegging plants to flower either

usually with N toxicity the leaves will be really dark green and leaves furthest from the light will claw

pix would help alot

Bent

Bent

They auto-flowered(flowered with no darkness), then returned to veg under the same light timing schedule? I can think of a bunch of questions I want to ask you about that...but I'm not gonna threadjack.

So, staying on the topic, I wonder if that's what's really going on here? I've never seen, nor heard of that happening before either. Hmm...:mysterymachine:

Yep.

D

Dr.Green.Thumb

ya know!!! i dont know what the f*ck is going on here. I just added a master kush clone to the mix and she starting to show white hairs also. The only things that are the same is the soil and florescent light...why!!!!!!!!!!!!

wallofchaos

wallofchaos

I am having the same issue. Pineapple kush. 24 hours of light. under a 430watt HPS. I realize HPS is for flowering but I wanted to give these suckers a boost for a couple weeks. Only a couple are starting to flower. Others are perfectly fine it makes no sense. Same nutrients, General hydroponics. 3tsp Micro 2tsp Grow and 1tp bloom, I reduced the amount of bloom to 1/2 tsp when i started to see white hairs on a few new growth points. I rinse the dirt with straight PH'd water every other watering to prevent any buildup/lockup. I have yet to even flower one of these yet They were under fluorescent, Been under the HPS for 2 weeks. I saw the same thing happen under the fluorescent too. I just tossed them. 2 week old plants flowering and not growing much are just junk. Its sad. Especially when you can only have 12 plants. One thought I was considering was "Root Bound" plants.
I grow them in solo cups till they show good growth then transfer to 1/4 gal square pots for another 2 to 4 weeks. They really take off, Then onto 5 gallon. But yet again i've seen autoflower happen in a 5 gallon, I had a mother that did it. Tossed it. So that kinda throws that out.

Another thing to note. The mother plant stays in veg state. Clones from that mother are autoflowering. So its very very odd. I found a seed of bigbud that was about 10 years old. Going back to the stone age, I hate all this feminized shit these days.

Would an OLD bulb be a culprit under the HPS? I can see low light under fluorescent being an issue but it does it under both types of light anyway.

Not sure the i phone would take a good enough pic or not. if its really needed I can try to get some pics uploaded.

Forgot to post Temps its a goofy time of year so its hard to get it perfect right now. I have to buy a 300$ AC unit this month Temps have been 80 to 84, As high as 90 a couple times and 40 to a max of 45% humidity, I know its too hot. I will be fixing that soon. But I wouldn't think heat would do it. Since the Florescent room doesn't get over 78. with 40% humidity.

Most of the time under the HPS its around 78F with 40% hum. The ac unit i currently have isn't keeping up.

20 years ago I used to grow 4-way, skunk#1 and G-13, I never once had Air Conditioning/ Dehumidifiers or any kind of environment control and I never had a single issue after 3 years of amazing smoke. These new strains suck!!!!

Stickybuds

Stickybuds

I have 2 gorilla bombs from bomb seeds. Female seeds, they don't offer auto gorilla bomb seeds, full on flowering grown from day one under 24 hours light for veg. Don't know why, never had power go out. As you can see from the pics, I have grown 2 gorillas from the same pack of seeds and they vegged fine. Don't know WTF. Is happening never seen in my 20 plus years growing.
IMG 20190616 125533
IMG 20190616 125519
IMG 20190611 192524
IMG 20190611 192524

IMG 20190611 192810
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
1. Some strains are auto-flowering. So, yes, potentially they will continue to preflower and/or bud under a 24/0 light schedule. If you're not familiar with how the strains you are attempting to grow should behave under a given photoperiod regimen, then you just have to play it by ear 'til you do. That's kinda what it sounds like to me. No?

2. I've never had that experience personally. It's my personal opinion, based on my ~20 years experience in cultivating cannabis, that the hemaphrodite phenomena in cannabis must be based mostly on genetics, aside from being more rare than most would tend to believe(like I said, IMO/based on my experience). Any random individual seed-propagated plant being more/less susceptible to it would be, therefore, a roll of the dice. Meaning, some would be likely to exhibit the trait to some degree, while others would be relatively(if not totally) immune to it. In other words, some plants you couldn't force it on if you tried. Rarely some females will have one or a few semi-hidden male flowers on an entire plant(that I can attest to). However, I've never had a run in with any true hermaphrodites personally, so it's not something I lose any sleep over. In the 100's of seeds I've started, they've all ended up either male or female, not both. And the females stayed that way(don't waste my time on males much). I'd still like to see one of these hermi's in person myself. Now I'm not calling them a myth. But they gotta be pretty damn close to one.

3. Throw them out? Why would you do that? You're not seeing male flowers yet right?
I agree. In my 35+ years of growing, I have never had more than 1 or 2 male flowers on any of my plants. With the modern genetics being so homogenized, its not surprising that some undesirable traits have been introduced to the strains. When I first heard of "Nanners" (a term I dislike), I wondered WTF everyone was talking about until folks started to post pictures of them. A new one to me. I guess that's the price to pay for these boutique strains that everyone seems to be brewing. Old genetics are going to go the route of old style tomatoes, which are NOT available anymore, due to excessive breeding that changed the whole plant. We are seeing the same thing happen to Cannabis.

Stickybuds

Stickybuds

I contacted Bomb Seeds about these sure to be autos, not female gorilla bombs. They also agreed that these must be autos. First time they have heard of it with their strains but are more then happy to send me a couple of replacement pack free. Very please with the genitics and the breeder. Very helpful

Top Bottom