Starting To See Yellow Dots On Tips Of Bottom Most Fan Leaves.

• Thread starter OhpeKush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

OhpeKush

This is what it looks like, just noticed yesterday and seems a bit more noticeable today.

Starting to see yellow dots on tips of bottom most fan leaves
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
That is likely the very beginning of a magnesium deficiency. Super easy/quick way to tell is to do the following:

Mix 1/4tsp of Epsom salt with 1 gallon of water, add a couple of drops of liquid dish soap or similar to break the water's surface tension, put that into a sprayer.
Thoroughly spray/spritz the plant, making sure to hit the undersides of the leaves (doing this first thing when the plant wakes up is usually best).
Now, observe over the next few hours. If the yellow greens back up, there's the tell and your diagnostic--magnesium deficiency (Mg-).

If not, then we need a whole lot more information as well as pix of the whole plant. We'll need feeding and lighting, schedules, and environmental parameters including pH at least of feed/water going in.

O

OhpeKush

That is likely the very beginning of a magnesium deficiency. Super easy/quick way to tell is to do the following:

Mix 1/4tsp of Epsom salt with 1 gallon of water, add a couple of drops of liquid dish soap or similar to break the water's surface tension, put that into a sprayer.
Thoroughly spray/spritz the plant, making sure to hit the undersides of the leaves (doing this first thing when the plant wakes up is usually best).
Now, observe over the next few hours. If the yellow greens back up, there's the tell and your diagnostic--magnesium deficiency (Mg-).

If not, then we need a whole lot more information as well as pix of the whole plant. We'll need feeding and lighting, schedules, and environmental parameters including pH at least of feed/water going in.

Awesome, thanks for this tip. I actually did my first nute feeding yesterday and that has MG in it, should I wait a couple days and see if that helps it out.

O

OhpeKush

You can, or you can go ahead and apply the foliar if you're not willing to wait that long. :)

Awesome, you're the best thank you again. Just curiously, is MG deficiency of this level something that could kill a crop? I've seen pictures of crops destroyed by it but mine doesn't seem close to that level. I guess if untreated it would spread and get worse.
I've been patient with everything else so I'll just let the nutrients do what they do and hope they work.

Navillusii

Navillusii

What stage of the plants life is it in? and what ph level are you running?

Navillusii

Navillusii

Drop that ph down to 6.1-6.3 and I thinking the plant will rebound.
in the mean time, i'd def follow this persons advice.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
u thinking the same for this @Seamaiden ???
Yes! I'd say that's definitely a Mg-. You can use the same method I outlined for Ohpe to make the determination. Should only be a few hours to change, a day at the most.
Awesome, you're the best thank you again. Just curiously, is MG deficiency of this level something that could kill a crop? I've seen pictures of crops destroyed by it but mine doesn't seem close to that level. I guess if untreated it would spread and get worse.
I've been patient with everything else so I'll just let the nutrients do what they do and hope they work.
No, not at that level. If it were to progress to necrosis then it would throw other nutrient utilization out of balance and *that* could affect a crop. But the great thing about Mg is its mobility and how stupid easy it is to correct a deficiency.

O

OhpeKush

Yes! I'd say that's definitely a Mg-. You can use the same method I outlined for Ohpe to make the determination. Should only be a few hours to change, a day at the most.

No, not at that level. If it were to progress to necrosis then it would throw other nutrient utilization out of balance and *that* could affect a crop. But the great thing about Mg is its mobility and how stupid easy it is to correct a deficiency.

Good to know . So it seems to be spreading slightly and some of the dots are turning brown . Still thinking MG?
And with that said my next watering I'm going to probably skip out the nutes and add a 1/2 tablespoon of epsom salt into my 1/2 gallon of water.

20161212 123155
20161212 123235
20161212 123217
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hmm... no, that's not looking like Mg- to my eyes. Did you do the foliar? If so and that's the result, then at this point I'm leaning towards K issues, but it could be a toxicity. Can you give us a more top-down view? Is it in a fabric pot? I stopped using those quite a while ago but others more well versed than I have mentioned that it's easy to spur toxicities in those pots with a few wet-dry cycles, IIRC.

Edit: @tinderthumbs 's photo is, in my opinion, a classic Mg-. I would be surprised to hear that he did the foliar (forgot to mention adding soap or something to break the water's surface tension, just a couple drops of a non-antimicrobial soap will do it here) and it didn't reverse the yellowing.

In the meantime, I've forgotten to ask what your other environmental parameters are, aka VPD (vapor pressure deficit), temperature(s) and relative humidity (RH) are the factors, along with the pH mentioned. Slurry testing for that is my own preferred, others use run-off.

O

OhpeKush

Hmm... no, that's not looking like Mg- to my eyes. Did you do the foliar? If so and that's the result, then at this point I'm leaning towards K issues, but it could be a toxicity. Can you give us a more top-down view? Is it in a fabric pot? I stopped using those quite a while ago but others more well versed than I have mentioned that it's easy to spur toxicities in those pots with a few wet-dry cycles, IIRC.

Edit: @tinderthumbs 's photo is, in my opinion, a classic Mg-. I would be surprised to hear that he did the foliar (forgot to mention adding soap or something to break the water's surface tension, just a couple drops of a non-antimicrobial soap will do it.

In the meantime, I've forgotten to ask what your other environmental parameters are, aka VPD (vapor pressure deficit), temperature(s) and relative humidity (RH) are the factors, along with the pH mentioned. Slurry testing for that is my own preferred, others use run-off.

Yah I tried the spray and nothing really happened . I'm using a 3 gal smart pot. and it didn't reverse the yellowing. Temps are about 70-72. I don't have equipment yet to check VPD or RH sadly. Here are a few more pictures,
Like I said the PH is a bit higher so I'm gonna bring it lower on the next watering.

20161213 132608
20161213 132617
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Awesome, thanks for this tip. I actually did my first nute feeding yesterday and that has MG in it, should I wait a couple days and see if that helps it out.
Foliar as @Seamaiden mentioned is a rapid response way to diagnose certain issues. It could take a week going root drench but only a few hours to foliar feed. Pick your poison.

Betico

Betico

Would anyone know it this is just normal growth or if it's a nutrient deficiency? Only the fan leaves at the bottom have started to do this. They are about 3 weeks into veg sitting in 1 gallon pots for the time being.

IMG 3485
IMG 3483
IMG 3482
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
You will probably get a better response if you post your own thread in the infirmary. You sort of jacked the thread from the OP. :D

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yah I tried the spray and nothing really happened . I'm using a 3 gal smart pot. and it didn't reverse the yellowing. Temps are about 70-72. I don't have equipment yet to check VPD or RH sadly. Here are a few more pictures,
Like I said the PH is a bit higher so I'm gonna bring it lower on the next watering.
Adjust pH before you mess with anything else. It looks pretty good in this shot. Do you have a K fertilizer on hand, seaweed or something like that?

Top Bottom