State to Replace Confidential Medical Marijuana Registry with Law Enforcement Databas

• Thread starter RMCG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

RMCG

State to Replace Confidential Medical Marijuana Registry with L.E. Database

Copy/Pasting from CTI email (not associated with CTI)

For immediate release, Dec. 6, 2010

State to Replace Confidential Medical Marijuana Registry with Law Enforcement Database

{Denver} -- At the Colorado Department of Revenue's Medical Marijuana Advisory Board's final meeting on Monday, Dec. 6, 2010, the DoR unveiled details about the monolithic database it is creating to gather volumes of private information on medical marijuana patients.

*WATCH VIDEO*

Fern Epstein, a consultant with Rebound Solutions who was hired by the Department of Revenue to help design the database, gave an overview of the plan. Click here to watch the video of her presentation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuYn9C_BbjM

(Note: The powerpoint slides were impossible to see even in the room.)

The database will be shared among several state agencies, including the Department of Revenue, the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, and all state, local and federal law enforcement, including the Colorado Crime Information Center and the Colorado Bureau of Investigation.

Epstein stated that there "needs to be some interface between various information technology databases." She explained, "Revenue needs information from the Registry. The Registry needs information from the Department of Revenue, and law enforcement needs information from both of those organizations."

She also stated that law enforcement will have "24/7 access to Registry data" and the new database will "give access to officers on the street and in their patrol cars -- access to registry and Department of Revenue data."

Epstein said, "The goal is for replacement of the Registry probably within a year's time."

This patient and medicine tracking database is a clear violation of the Article XVIII, Section 14 of Constitution, Colorado's Medical Marijuana Amendment, which requires that the health agency maintain a confidential registry of patients, which can only be accessed by law enforcement for the purpose of determining whether a person who has been detained is a member of the Registry.

Colorado Constitution - ARTICLE XVIII. Section 14

(3) The state health agency shall create and maintain a confidential registry of patients who have applied for and are entitled to receive registry identification card according to the criteria set forth in this subsection, effective June 1, 2001.

(a) No person shall be permitted to gain access to any information about patients in the state health agency's confidential registry, or any information otherwise maintained by the state health agency about physicians and primary care-givers, except for authorized employees of the

state health agency in the course of their official duties and authorized employees of state or local law enforcement agencies which have stopped or arrested a person who claims to be engaged in the medical use of marijuana

and in possession of a registry identification card or its functional equivalent, pursuant to paragraph (e) of this subsection (3). Authorized employees of state or local law enforcement agencies shall be granted access to the information contained within the state health agency's confidential registry only for the purpose of verifying that an individual who has presented a registry identification card to a state or local law enforcement official is lawfully in possession of such card.

*TAKE ACTION*

Now is the time for the industry to fight back and protect patients'

Constitutional right to privacy.

Patients fear that their formerly private medical information will be used to prosecute them. Patients are already opting out of the Registry out of fear of this new "data fusion" system. Many more patients will opt-out of the MMC-model if this database is developed.

If you are concerned about the DEAth of the state's confidential medical marijuana registry, please contact the Cannabis Therapy Institute's Patient

Advocacy Project at: [email protected]

Get on our mailing list to receive future updates:

T

TyKaycha

I read that last night - completely BS (the proposed database, not the story).
As the article already mentions - it's against the State Constitution, and least my understanding of it.
So if one gets pulled over for speeding, are the cops going to run your name through this new database too to see if you're a patient. And if they do, and you're a patient then does that give them some sort of reason to search. I wouldn't think so but who the fuck knows now. Time to get the ACLU involved. Where's NORML at? I would think they would be all over this shit.

sky high

sky high

it just gets worse and worse. Our basic rights...flushed down the shitter...all so a FEW can profit? Soon they will be at our DOORS.

hate to say that I predicted it....but i did. Dumbfucks everywhere..blowin it up and ignoring the law with edibles recs and other made up shit...folks who don't have a need trashing the program for those who do.

"like a fly batters itself against a windshield
time and time again it senslessly blunders..." Rundgren

What's that sound?

It's the cockroaches as they scurry out of State....

wot a fuckin' mess...

s h

M

mendel

The federal govt has setup 'fusion' centers all over the country, the nearest to us is in Colorado springs. The purpose of the 'fusion' centers is to have total information awareness between ALL GOVT agencies, from local to federal, to efficiently root out 'terrorists'. This new mmj database is just a miniscule part of the big picture.

As the govt, both state and fed, progress into this greatest of depressions, they will seek new ways to pay the bills (mostly interest on loans). More laws will be made, fines will increase, as well as searches and siezures, no matter their lawful validity.

I am sitting here looking at my filled out but unmailed renewal forms sitting on my desk. As I glance and chuckle, I remember a year or two ago when it was stated by fed.gov that folk who participated in the drug trade were helping, and were therefore themselves, by extension, terrorists.

I firmly believe that at some point the govt will label us terrorists and steal our assets, the private prison system was made for you and me. Look at the way our rights have been trampled or outright ignored recently. Look at the big picture.

:sick0004:

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

So this new database rids us of our "pesky" privacy, and also assumes all of us as criminals, or at the very best, potential criminals. This is like a wanted list or terrorist watch list or something. We are basically being tracked as criminals.

I don't think they would know what to do with all this data, even if they had it. I think what they are really trying to do is KILL mmj completely. Most patients, even really sick ones, will not like this invasion of privacy and will most likely resort back to the black market to get their goods, especially now with 1284 and most dispensaries having less and less quality product. This combined with all the "seed to sale" tracking they have in mind, will basically make it so the patient list goes back down to 4,000-5,000 and everyone else will be back on the black market. Then we will elect another Republican president in less than 2 years, and the state and local law enforcement will get its over-inflated budget back to raid every caregiver, grower, and patient that is growing outside of their "system".....

So where were those people that didn't want full on legalization, but raved about MMJ?

"One step forward, two steps backward
Down inna Babylon"
- Max Romeo

D

dman16

my card expires in late feb not sure ill be renewing if this BS is going to happen.

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

What I would like to know...what cases has law enforcement had to deal with where having access to the registry would of helped them solve or prevent a crime?

They are doing this under the guise of clearing the backlog of patients on the registry. But why can't they link all the doctors and medical paperwork for prescription drugs? There is no central database for that. No one is tracking "pill to mouth" of these drugs. These drugs can easily kill and have a very inflated street value....but big pharma makes those, so who needs a database!

Melizzard

Melizzard

Damn, I just renewed mine!!! And, believe it or not, it came within a MONTH!

R

RMCG

Eh. Try to fill a few scripts for oxy's or buy up the lot of sudafed in CVS and see where that goes...

If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny. – Thomas Jefferson

sky high

sky high

So where were those people that didn't want full on legalization, but raved about MMJ?

Arhhhh... you mean the good folks who were patients >before< the circus came to town who truly qualified for the program??

I'd say they have involuntarily been taken for a RIDE aboard the SHIP OF FOOLS!!

Ship of Fools - world Party

We're setting sail to the place on the map
From which no one has ever returned
Torn by the promise of the joker and the fool
By the light of crosses that burn
Torn by the promise of the women and the lace
And the gold and the cotton and pearls
It's the place where they keep all the darkness you meet
You sail away from the light of the world on this trip, baby

You will pay tomorrow
You're gonna pay tomorrow
You will pay tomorrow

Oh, save me
Save me from tomorrow
I don't want to sail with this ship of fools
Oh, save me
Save me from tomorrow
No, no, I want to run and hide
Right now

Avarice and greed are gonna drive you over the endless sea
They will leave you drifting in the shallows
Drowning in the oceans of history
Traveling the world, you're in search of the good,
But I'm sure you'll like I knew you would
Using all the good people for your gallant slaves
As your little boat struggles through the warning waves
You will pay
Yeah, you're gonna pay tomorrow

Oh, save me
Save me from tomorrow
Oh, save me
Save me from tomorrow
Where is that coming from?
Where is it going to?
It's just a ship of fools

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdeIZkZo2PM

wot a fuckin' mess...

s h

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

This won't happen, it no longer keeps HC records confidential. It's a massive rights violation in more than one way. the state can't just rewrite AM20 as it sees fit. The records must remain confidential. I assure you there will be a huge shit storm if this comes anywhere close to happening.

T

trykome1

I hope you are right Sputnik, this shit sounds serious. I hope someone is jumping on this pronto!

R

RMCG

Then we better see a lawsuit very quickly.

I am sick of people passing shit quickly to see if it 'sticks', not first questioning the constitutionality of what they are proposing before going through the trouble of keeping themselves employed...

Seriously, first 'check' should be the US constitution.

Second, the STATE Constitution.

If it doesn't pass BOTH of those, then you are proposing some BS.

M

mendel

Exception Determination. In addition, preemption of a contrary State law will not occur if HHS determines, in response to a request from a State or other entity or person, that the State law:

•Is necessary to prevent fraud and abuse related to the provision of or payment for health care,
•Is necessary to ensure appropriate State regulation of insurance and health plans to the extent expressly authorized by statute or regulation,
•Is necessary for State reporting on health care delivery or costs,
•Is necessary for purposes of serving a compelling public health, safety, or welfare need, and, if a Privacy Rule provision is at issue, if the Secretary determines that the intrusion into privacy is warranted when balanced against the need to be served; or
•Has as its principal purpose the regulation of the manufacture, registration, distribution, dispensing, or other control of any controlled substances (as defined in 21 U.S.C. 802), or that is deemed a controlled substance by State law.

D

dman16

as a CU student i think thats a weak representation personally…..

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
That Laura Kriho person was the one calling Tim Tipton, "Timothy," whilst making googly eyes at him at the Caregiver Collective Seminar in Boulder. With people like those two as the face of Medical Cannabis in Colorado it's no wonder we get screwed a little more everyday!

Latest posts

Top Bottom