• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

States Differ on Marijuana for PTSD
By DAN FROSCH
Published: March 24, 2010

DENVER — A decade ago, Colorado became one of the earliest states to legalize medical marijuana. Its neighbor New Mexico did so more recently. But that does not mean the two states agree on all the medicinal merits of cannabis.

Both states allow marijuana to be used to treat the symptoms of a variety of diseases, like AIDS and cancer. When it comes to treating post-traumatic stress disorder, however, New Mexico says yes to medical marijuana, while Colorado’s answer is a resounding no.

Those differences were highlighted this week in the Colorado legislature, when a State House committee on Monday narrowly defeated a proposal that would have directed the Department of Public Health and Environment to consider whether marijuana should be used to help people with post-traumatic stress disorder.

Dr. Ned Calonge, the chief medical officer for the health department, which was against the proposal, said psychiatry departments at the Veterans Affairs hospital in Denver and the University of Colorado School of Medicine in Denver agreed that marijuana should not be recommended for treating the disorder.

“There is no evidence of efficacy of marijuana for treatment of P.T.S.D. in the medical literature,” Dr. Calonge said Tuesday in an interview. “In fact, the published literature suggests that such use leads to addiction and abuse of other substances.”

At the same time, he said, some clinical evidence supports the drug’s effectiveness in treating those conditions for which medical marijuana is already approved in Colorado. “I think we’ve set the bar pretty low,” he added.

But supporters of the Colorado proposal cited New Mexico as an example to follow. In that state, the Health Department came to a drastically different conclusion. In January 2009, a medical advisory committee recommended that post-traumatic stress disorder was an eligible condition for medical marijuana treatment.

In its report, the committee acknowledged that there were no specific clinical trial data regarding the use of marijuana in treating the disorder. But the committee noted that when smoked, marijuana could help relieve anxiety associated with post-traumatic stress disorder, and cited a number of psychiatric and pharmacological studies.

The secretary of the New Mexico Department of Health, Dr. Alfredo Vigil, signed off on the recommendation a month later.

“There are hints and some indications in the medical literature that there are components of cannabis that might be helpful to some people with P.T.S.D.,” Dr. Vigil said Tuesday in an interview, adding, “All of these states are going out on a limb, trying to determine from a medical, clinical point of view, what seems reasonable.”

Currently, more than a quarter of the 1,376 patients approved for medical marijuana in New Mexico have post-traumatic stress, more than any other condition including cancer, according to the Health Department. It is unclear how many are veterans.

To qualify, a patient needs a referral from a primary care doctor or a psychiatrist along with documents from the psychiatrist certifying that the patient has the disorder.

The debate over post-traumatic stress came as Colorado’s legislature grapples with how to regulate the dispensation of medical marijuana throughout the state. Since the federal Justice Department announced in the fall that it would not prosecute people who use marijuana for medical purposes in states where it is legal, shops have sprung up all over Denver selling medical marijuana, ostensibly only to those who have a doctor’s prescription.

“If there is any legitimate use for any medicine to treat P.T.S.D., we have an obligation to consider it,” said State Representative Sal Pace, a Democrat from Pueblo, who introduced Colorado’s proposal.

Steve Fox, director of state campaigns for the Marijuana Policy Project, which favors the legal regulation of the drug, said he was disappointed in the Colorado vote, particularly given New Mexico’s policy. He noted that many antidepressants prescribed to veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder have a range of potentially serious side affects, whereas medical marijuana is comparatively benign.

Mr. Pace said he hoped that the Health Department or the legislature would reconsider using marijuana to treat post-traumatic stress symptoms.

“I’m not a doctor. I’m not a psychiatrist. I can’t judge myself whether this is legitimate medicine,” Mr. Pace said. “But if we can’t even open the door to that discussion, then we are potentially prohibiting medicine to a needy class of citizens.”

M

MrSmokeAlot

This is my first post ever so please bear with me.
I'm a 30 year old male with ptsd and have been receiving treatment through Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) for about 2 years now.
I smoked Cannabis just before my last 2 sessions and this is what the results were.
This particular strain made me feel silly and Initially it interfered with my focus.
This memory I was trying to visit was an important one but from my childhood and I couldn't remember much about it, however many times the doc and i revisited it,and now
this time every detail was perfectly clear.It may not seem like much but as far as EMDR, it is. I was also able to recall every experience or event in my life that contributed to the ptsd and make a time line of them, It made everything make alot more sense after that and made it seem somehow smaller and easier to control and change.
With the ptsd I have triggers that set me off,and make me very unreasonable in a very bad way,unfortunately and whether it's the dogs barking or worse ,The Cannabis creates a buffer between me and those triggers,which then allows me to act rather than react and not have those powerful negative emotions take complete control.In some way its like removing yourself from your destructive environment, I don't think my marriage would have lasted if I didn't stop reacting to these triggers and causing damage to my relationships with others and with myself.
I will be trying different strains and amounts with future sessions..
I cant help but wonder how the different Cannabis strains could effect different types of minds, abstract vs concrete etc.

I feel like I can finally move forward in my life thanks to Cannabis and the EMDR.
Depression and the rest of a long list No longer dictates how my life will turn out.

How about they put a team together and stop with the excuses, A psychologist or many and someone with intimate experience with Cannabis use would be a good start.

N

nor cali farmer

i hope thing keep on working for you bro. peace thc joe

Latest posts

Top Bottom