Steamboat should ban dispensaries

• Thread starter Green Mopho
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Green Mopho

Green Mopho

http://www.steamboattoday.com/news/2011/may/16/millie-flanigan-steamboat-should-ban-dispensaries/

The ease of access to a medicinal marijuana prescription, coupled with the bakery/candy store presentation of dispensaries and their extensive advertising, blurs any clear picture as to whether this drug is truly medicinal or simply recreational. It is this mixed message that I think is most dangerous to our youth.

The dispensary model and what it has evolved into exposes the youth of our community, including the very young, to the thought that medicinal marijuana is neither harmful nor addictive and is no big deal. With the considerable increase of license holders, there is simply more marijuana in our community. With increased saturation of the drug comes increased availability to individuals of all ages, with or without a license.

The current dispensary model is not what was envisioned or intended by the voters of Colorado when Amendment 20 was passed in 2000. Amendment 20 made legal the use of a limited amount of marijuana for an individual suffering from a “debilitating medical condition.” The prescription was to be written by a physician with whom the patient had a “bona fide physician-patient relationship.” It is certainly debatable whether the majority of license holders have a “debilitating medical condition” and, as a medical provider, I do not think that receiving a license from a MD that has come to town for one day counts as a “bona fide physician-patient relationship.”

Statistics with the state registry make it clear that with the opening of dispensaries in 2009 came a staggering increase in the number of medical marijuana licenses that were written. Much of this was driven by the relationship that dispensaries had with physicians who were willing to come to town for a day to see patients with the sole purpose of writing medical marijuana licenses. It is difficult to deny that with the opening of dispensaries, the face of this issue changed dramatically. It should be noted that nowhere in the amendment was there any mention of dispensaries.

The question is not whether marijuana is better or worse than alcohol or prescription drugs, or even if it should be legalized — that is an entirely different debate. The problem is that marijuana is being billed as “medicinal” but is playing by an entirely different set of rules than other prescription drugs. Although other prescription drugs may be over-prescribed and are certainly an issue in our community, access to these drugs is entirely different than what is taking place with marijuana. If marijuana truly is to be “medicinal,” it should be playing by the same rules as other medicinal drugs.

Steamboat bills itself as a world-class resort, Ski Town USA. Are full-page color ads plastered all over our daily papers advertising the likes of Cheeba Chews, Kandy Kush and Fridays as Free Keef Cola Day best representing our community?

Some argue that it is up to parents to raise their children in such a way that they will make good choices. I aim for this in my parenting each and every day, though I am not so naive as to think that my children would not benefit from barriers to potentially risky behaviors.

Arguments against a ban of dispensaries raise the concern that license holders will start growing marijuana in their residences, unregulated. It is possible that some individuals may grow the allotted six plants in their own homes, or may even become caregivers, thereby being allowed to supply marijuana for as many as five patients.

However, this takes some level of commitment and investment, which many individuals who are happy to stop by the dispensary will choose to forgo.

I also think that without dispensaries, we will not have doctors coming to town on a regular basis to write mass prescriptions. Based on this, I would anticipate the number of license holders will dwindle throughout time and that eventually we will get closer to how things were from 2000 to 2009.

It has been argued that owners of these dispensaries have invested in our community and employ a significant numbers of employees. The owners of these dispensaries speculated on what most would consider a risky business proposition. It is not the responsibility of our community to assure their success at the expense of what is best for our community as a whole, and our youth in particular.

The most compelling argument supporting the dispensaries is that some individuals have truly benefited from them. I think this is true for a limited number of individuals. These individuals will continue to be served by Amendment 20, as it was intended, without the negative impact of the dispensaries.

I do not think any of us, including the Steamboat Springs City Council, could have foreseen the evolution of this industry and the impact of the “dispensary model.” More than 60 communities in Colorado have moved forward and have banned dispensaries. Steamboat needs to do the same. I think we as a community must re-evaluate what we want for our town and our children.

M

MIway

Damn dude... nifty little editorial you worked on... ;-)

But I got distracted by the co-ed thong laden tramp bouncing on this bouncy thing on my tv... what... where's my beer & xaney bars...?

Check, check... mid-west sector out...

D

DoobyScoo

Agghhh!
It's a Witch! Burn her!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physician_assistant#Scope_of_practice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

License Number PA-1325
License Type Physician Assistant
License Status Active
License Method NCCPA

Well, her license comes up clean, and that of her supervisor (er...sponsor, since she ain't no Doctr).
Don't know if there is a way to get her #'s for sign-offs on Ritalin (er... Aderral), oxys, ect...
Guess only the DEA would have that info.

P.S. Just so you know your Doc is still in good standing. Going to want to make sure that the License number starts with DR- in Colorado. PA- can't write Recs!
DORA: Allison

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

Unfortunately she's got a good point with this article. I'm sure Denver isn't the only place with "sign spinners" on street corners advertising free joints/edibles/medicine/$190 oz. I wanna throw dog turds at these people.

Dear fucktard dispensary owners, there's only so far you can push your business into the public eye before you see backlash. Very few dispensaries have tried a medical model set up for patients and not quick sale profits. The wal-mart "going out of business" liquor store model is going to destroy our MMJ community in Colorado. At the lease please attempt to have some professionalism and discretion in your advertising even if your business is a complete sham. Keep up the bullshit and you'll be gone faster than your shitty products. Not that ANY of CO MMJ post 2008 was ever about patients in the first place.

I'm surrounded by greedy fucks!

K

Killerapplesauc

WOW where is the up cry when they catch their kids smoking cigarettes(from thier own pack) or when the cops caught the high school football team with a keg of beer that one of their parents bought for them LMAO. The problem with steam boat is its full of a bunch of rich elitist douche bags who think they should dictate to the world how things should be. If your kids is smoking marijuana maybe you should question your parenting skills instead of blaming everyone else. The fact of the matter is when cannabis is legalized they are going to see alot more of the signs advertising ect... get over it. Its like when people go around and say they are growing cannabis to help sick people in Colorado then cry when the price of pounds go down boo hoo my eye are tearing.

W

waywardson

This basic argument worked in Grand Junction. No mo dispensaries.

One would hope Steamboat is a little more progressive.

K

kripplecreek

Thank you for posting the info!

I take my medication for a bad back and knee and this isnt "recreational" they can see me limp into the dispensary. Maybe they should make a movie of us poor schmucks limping in there to get our MEDICINE and see how happy we look on a day to day basis even though we have cannabis always.

And you know...why the hell NOT make it FUN to go into the place where you are purchasing your medication? It was always HORRID going into that COLD UNCARING pill popper dispensary and you do not feel at home you are hurting as it is and you are given the run around AND the ONLY MEDICINE YOU CAN GET IS THE ONE ON THE SLIP!

No matter how often ive told my doctor this medication makes me itch it makes me nauseous it makes me irritable and this other one does not it does not matter. They treat you like a addict no matter what despite knowing WHY you are taking them.

My pain is DIFFERENT from EVERYONE ELSES! Thats why there are varietiesof cannabis to meet everyones needs!

For f sakes though..dont advertise OUTSIDE of the dispensary

sorry for the rant but since I got my card ive kicked a horrible yellow med that id had to take for ages and it scares me shitless thinking some day I might have to go back to it...:rain

M

MIway

WOW where is the up cry when they catch their kids smoking cigarettes(from thier own pack) or when the cops caught the high school football team with a keg of beer that one of their parents bought for them LMAO. The problem with steam boat is its full of a bunch of rich elitist douche bags who think they should dictate to the world how things should be. If your kids is smoking marijuana maybe you should question your parenting skills instead of blaming everyone else. The fact of the matter is when cannabis is legalized they are going to see alot more of the signs advertising ect... get over it. Its like when people go around and say they are growing cannabis to help sick people in Colorado then cry when the price of pounds go down boo hoo my eye are tearing.

Here's a little tid bit from the vine... been in conversations with those that are the powers to be... suits, lawyers, politicians, biz owners... that have kids local w/in the schools.

Guess what, these cats have kids that smoke weed... and they know they do. Some of them openly express they like the laws & encourage their kids to do it under the umbrage of medical Mj... so they don't get fucked under drug laws. Suits signing parental waivers... the ones you wouldn't expect to.

Just want to point this out, as even on the 'other side', not all people are as limited in perspective as the author from the editorial... this lady likely doesn't want to face the likely fact that several members of her extended family smoke weed. And if aware, then its the fault of all the bad elements in society that is ruining her loved ones.

You can almost feel the anger & disdain... this ladies got some deeper issues, and MMj is the boogaboo, at the moment. Likely she sees all the gays & lesbians & blacks & poor & whatever else that have been ruining her precious little community... the one that only exists in her precious little head... perhaps those at her local bible study group as well.

She likes her community, just not people.

G

GhostfacePuffah

Its like when people go around and say they are growing cannabis to help sick people in Colorado then cry when the price of pounds go down boo hoo my eye are tearing.

+1

And people wonder why the AG thinks that MMJ is one big fraud. If dispensary owners who push this stuff in people's faces are to be held responsible for more regulations and ordinances, caregivers are also to blame for the new caregiver stuff in 1043. If I was a state legislator and read this forum, I'd come to the conclusion that most caregivers are in it for the money when they're supposed to be operating as a non-profit.

(I have no connection to a dispensary and I'm not a caregiver so I don't have a dog in this hunt. Just disappointed that dispensaries and caregivers didn't exercise more tact.)

K

kuz

Weak minds, too bad she probably speaks for a lot of people. Probably her kid stealing gas out of heat pumps. We kept marijuana so well hidden from teenagers prior to mmj, she really is naive and no, cannabis should not be treated like other medication.

Shove it back underground, let the cartel run things, good idea. A smart parent sees opportunity when the 10 year old asks about what the green cross stands for.

Cant we just ban stupid people from Colorado, at least make them live out on the eastern plains for 10 or 15 years before becoming a citizen.

D

DoobyScoo

Weak minds, too bad she probably speaks for a lot of people.

Cant we just ban stupid people from Colorado, at least make them live out on the eastern plains for 10 or 15 years before becoming a citizen.

Fuck yeah!
That would be awesome, especially for Steamboat and Breckenridge. Get all the Elitist Douchebagery to have to run a farm for once.
"WHAT! Dominos doesn't deliver!"

But fear runs many people's lives.
Fear keeps people in check.
That is why Big Pharma should be learned from.
They took the FEAR out of giving your kid LEGAL speed.
Hell, they put the FEAR INTO you if you DIDN'T use legal speed.
"Your kid has a learning disability, without this pill, he will be subjected to a life of impoverishment as a product of his learning disability"
My parents didn't know anybetter, and they were coerced into giving my brother 150mg Ritalin per day. Guess what, my brother didn't like taking it, made him feel 'speedy'.
So guess who had the cleanest room on the block?
Some fucking brilliant motherfuckrs if you ask me.

@Politician
You can learn from us or you can choose not to.
Only ones worried about it becoming Illegal again are those that WANT LEGALIZATION and those that MOVED HERE BECAUSE OF THE LAWS.
I'm sorry, but sometimes we have to put down our douchebaggery and listen to the Old Timers.

W

waywardson

You know, deep down I disagree with that statement Dobby.

I don't believe we have to scare anyone into using marijuana. I think all we have to do is calm their fears of it to the point they try it. Once they do that, and fear is removed from the equation...well, we know exactly what would happen.

Fear works...hell it is the basis of marketing. Ain't quite as popular as you would like to be...that is all because you do not use x (whatever x is). We can fix that...we are willing to sell you x. Your life will be better.

Time to smash that bullshit paradigm. Use weed...if you like it, well CO allows you to use it. If you don't, that is fine to. But you gotta admit, it did not hurt you...so why do you fear anyone who does like it...unless, of course, it is going to take a big chunk out of your profits.

Let's be the guys that eliminate fear...not the cocksuckers that promote it.

Top Bottom