Stem Fungus- what didn't work

• Thread starter Dunge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dunge

Dunge

A few weeks back I noticed some brown fungal spores on the stem of a plant I was grooming for moving inside for flower.
I sprayed some Serinade in her and then repeated H2O2 applications and this is what she looked like eight days ago.
Stem fungus  what didnt work Stem fungus  what didnt work 2
She looked great this morning.
Eight hours later:
Stem fungus  what didnt work 3 Stem fungus  what didnt work 4 Stem fungus  what didnt work 5
Fortunately I have an extra for flower, but it's a shock to loose such a nice big plant.
It falls to her SinMint sister to represent the line.
I think that I just didn't catch it in time, as a small spot on another plant seems to have been arrested with the same treatment.

We shall see.

TSTEW313

TSTEW313

I just got done dealing with a fungus! I was using eagle 20 but a lot seem to have built a tolerance to the active ingredient in eagle, so I used quali pro this seemed to kill all of my fungus issues an now my True og an some of my other older gee's seem to be rooting an growing faster! But IF YOU USE THIS STUFF USE A LOW DOSE IT IS USED FOR GOLF COURSE GREENS BUT IT KILLS JUST ABOUT ALL FUNGUS!

N

nightmarecreature

The Fungi completely clogs the xylem, no nutes or water can pass and the plant dies instantly. There's more than a dozen fungi that can do this but pythium is pretty common.

canadaseed

canadaseed

Hello I am currently researching products in an attempt to formulate my own antifungal antibacterial. Nystatin and Nisin may be interesting to you.. I have encountered that mould before, it starts in the stem.. commonly in plants that were reveged and also any condition of prolonged soil over-saturation. Believe it or not the waxing and waning moon cycles actually direct the feeding cycles of the plants, sometimes plants don't and if during these times the soil is very saturated a root-borne fungal spore infestation may begin and work its way up the stem. Depending how cold it was outside the weather most likely played a role in why your plant developed a fungal infestation.

MissingLink

MissingLink

The Fungi completely clogs the xylem, no nutes or water can pass and the plant dies instantly. There's more than a dozen fungi that can do this but pythium is pretty common.

You know, Pythium isn't actually a fungus. Not even close! Fungus-like in habit, but as genetically distant as plants are to animals. Just an interesting tidbit of information.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You know, Pythium isn't actually a fungus. Not even close! Fungus-like in habit, but as genetically distant as plants are to animals. Just an interesting tidbit of information.
Well I just learned that we've got more levels (or whatever) to taxonomical classification, IIRC in large part to help science better classify organisms such as viruses. So, what *is* pythium, then?
I just got done dealing with a fungus! I was using eagle 20 but a lot seem to have built a tolerance to the active ingredient in eagle, so I used quali pro this seemed to kill all of my fungus issues an now my True og an some of my other older gee's seem to be rooting an growing faster! But IF YOU USE THIS STUFF USE A LOW DOSE IT IS USED FOR GOLF COURSE GREENS BUT IT KILLS JUST ABOUT ALL FUNGUS!
Using at low doses is part of what selects out for resistance. I actually posted what became a bit of a long thread on this particular issue with Eagle 20 and how well it selects out for resistant fungi. Since it's not only terribly overused, but misused, there isn't much 'life' left in this product at all.

TSTEW313

TSTEW313

20140915 114747
Well @Seamaiden the product I was referring to is meant for golf course greens an more is not better tebuconazole 3.6f is one of the only fungicides that has successfully results at killing oxysporum! An if you do the math correct it calls for about 1.3 ml per gallon I messed up on the math an hit my plants with a way higher dose almost killing some genetics that I might not be able to replace but with that being said the break down is 1.3ml per gallon so that is why I said use a low dose an it's just another product you can rotate with eagle 20 so the fungus don't build a tolerance to the active ingredient here is a picture of the product made by quali pro

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

Not sure if its the same issue that would cause dampening but i use cinnamon to kill the contam at stem base. Idk maybe rub it along the infected areas?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Interesting, I've tossed cinnamon onto the soil, but hoping to perplex fungus gnats.
View attachment 441573 Well @Seamaiden the product I was referring to is meant for golf course greens an more is not better tebuconazole 3.6f is one of the only fungicides that has successfully results at killing oxysporum! An if you do the math correct it calls for about 1.3 ml per gallon I messed up on the math an hit my plants with a way higher dose almost killing some genetics that I might not be able to replace but with that being said the break down is 1.3ml per gallon so that is why I said use a low dose an it's just another product you can rotate with eagle 20 so the fungus don't build a tolerance to the active ingredient here is a picture of the product made by quali pro
Thanks for sharing that pic. My point was really regarding causing resistance using a product like Eagle 20 that's known to have that effect, and this is made worse by using it improperly, such as using incorrect dosing or overusing it instead of keeping and reading all labels. You may have read of some people who are using E20 prophylactically and not in rotation with at least two other differing mode products, which is specifically the kind of use that causes resistance.

Dunge

Dunge

I appreciate interest this event is drawing.
As it is ongoing, I will continue reporting.
I'm not yet feeling threatened by this, but that could be a big mistake.
All I can do is hit external fruiting bodies with h2o2.
I'll spray some Caps foliar and keep an eye out.
Currently have three of nine plants two weeks into 12/12 with at least one treated and watched stem infection.
Seven weeks to go and I'm ready to cull all three.
But I am tempted to keep them growing so long as the hydraulics are functioning and flowers are growing.
DSCN4151ann

This girl has always been on the yellow side, so I don't think that's part of the fungus issue.
First sign of wilt, and she's out of here. That goes for any of them.

N

nightmarecreature

If the genetics are good, I would just take top cuts, root them and start over. Once they are rooted, hit them hard with a chemical fungicide.

Top Bottom