Stem purpling concerns. Is there something wrong here?

• Thread starter Frankster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Alright, all the same strains, but I'm noticing a bit of purpling on one plant in particular.

I've been dealing with some mite issues, and I've done a bit of spraying and treatments a few weeks back, I've also released predator mites. Anyhow, I don't know if this is one of the plants that might have become stressed surrounding those issues.

I've noticed some plants are darker, some lighter, I've gone light on the amendments, because it's a super soil mixture, and it's kinda on the strong side by the looks of it. (my first time using this technique) I also did a bit of cal mag awhile back, but got some mixed up again for tonight, going to hit this one with a bit extra, because magnesium seems to be the most appropriate diagnosis.

I also added a bit more guano in the ones with a bit of yellowing, (bottom leaf yellowing) and topped them off with some more super soil, that's sufficienctly nitrogen rich.

Is this simply strain specific? (it's not happening on sister plants yet) or pathology. Any opinions appreciated. Not the top photo, the color in some of the affected plants, vs the problem child. The little "specs" are simply bran from the predator mite bottle, as I dumped some of them directly on my plants.

Stem purpling concerns is there something wrong here
Stem purpling concerns is there something wrong here 2
Stem purpling concerns is there something wrong here 3
Stem purpling concerns is there something wrong here 4
Stem purpling concerns is there something wrong here 5
Last edited:
MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Alright, all the same strains, but I'm noticing a bit of purpling on one plant in particular.

I've been dealing with some mite issues, and I've done a bit of spraying and treatments a few weeks back, I've also released predator mites. Anyhow, I don't know if this is one of the plants that might have become stressed surrounding those issues.

I've noticed some plants are darker, some lighter, I've gone light on the amendments, because it's a super soil mixture, and it's kinda on the strong side by the looks of it. (my first time using this technique) I also did a bit of cal mag awhile back, but got some mixed up again for tonight, going to hit this one with a bit extra, because magnesium seems to be the most appropriate diagnosis.

I also added a bit more guano in the ones with a bit of yellowing, (bottom leaf yellowing) and topped them off with some more super soil, that's sufficienctly nitrogen rich.

Is this simply strain specific? (it's not happening on sister plants yet) or pathology. Any opinions appreciated. Not the top photo, the color in some of the affected plants, vs the problem child. The little "specs" are simply bran from the predator mite bottle, as I dumped some of them directly on my plants.
That's a strain thing amigo. I've got it in LA Confidential, Squirt, and Purple Mountain Majesty.

But... I want to show you something else. Remember that espalier style bonsai I threw at you a while back. You were talking about bud sites and fan leaves.

This still has about 3 weeks to go and it just got switched to seablast bloommaster to put the frost on it.
20200910 151548

This thing was completely defoliated and there's the nug coverage anyway. Straight up it slowed the growth. But if you try to treat a cannabis bonsai like a full sized plant then you're gonna end up with toothpick buds. My point is there is more than 1 way to work with the good weed. All of the tried and true rules don't always apply. :)

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Yea, it's odd about that one plant, as it's the only protengy that did this, as all the others seem fine, but there f1's so that's to be expected, and there some variation in the strain for sure, I'm noticing some are autos, and perhaps some will need to be flipped. some are stretching more than others, just little telltale signs that the pheno types are different. Anyhow, I hit it with some treatments, and it seems to be responding, I was more concerned about the leaves becoming yellow than the purpling of the stem.

One of the one's I just finished up was just like your plant, very short and stout, although I didn't defoliate it at all. Lemme see if I can find a pic of the final end product, I did remove the leaves and it's now sitting in the pot drying. The first photo is it stripped, the second one an earlier stage before I took the leaves off. I'm not big on defoliation techniques, unless there's a real need for it., I think under normal circumstances (adequate light and space) it's better to leave them on, but in some cases, with penetration or space being an issue, it might be helpful, as I've seen many situations where it's obviously beneficial.

I've got some purpling in this GDP also, but it's every plant, so I think for sure, this one is unquestionably strain dependent.

IMG 20200909 185100
IMG 20200901 144900
IMG 20200909 192321   Copy
Anthem

Anthem

Frankster,
The purple stem thing is confusing. I have seen it just about every grow I have done. While it can be strain related, it also has something to do with the lightning. Either UV or far reds from what I can tell.

Top Bottom