Stems turning purple due to light?

• Thread starter architeuthis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

architeuthis

I have a California light works solar system 1100 in a 5x5 tent. My plants started in a 3x3 with an ac infinity 3x3 light board. This is the second grow I’ve done with these two lights and both times the stems turn purple with the California after like a day! The plants are late in veg, 6 weeks in. The leaves are still a nice green and the plants aren’t showing any other signs of stress.
The California light works light has white, red and blue dimmable channels. I’m using the suggested intensity of each that they provide in the manual for veg.
Is there anyway to get my stems back to a green while still using this light?
Thank you for any suggestions!

Stems turning purple due to light
Stems turning purple due to light 2
Moshmen

Moshmen

I have a California light works solar system 1100 in a 5x5 tent. My plants started in a 3x3 with an ac infinity 3x3 light board. This is the second grow I’ve done with these two lights and both times the stems turn purple with the California after like a day! The plants are late in veg, 6 weeks in. The leaves are still a nice green and the plants aren’t showing any other signs of stress.
The California light works light has white, red and blue dimmable channels. I’m using the suggested intensity of each that they provide in the manual for veg.
What strain? What are you feeding ? Calmag? What are you growing in ?

Short answer is add 1 gram of Epsom salts per gallon to the next watering and see what happens it may take more than once

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Purple stems usually indicate nutrient lockout and the plant is getting ill

A

architeuthis

What strain? What are you feeding ? Calmag? What are you growing in ?

Short answer is add 1 gram of Epsom salts per gallon to the next watering and see what happens it may take more than once
It’s a variation of Ak 47, not sure what it’s crossed with. I’m feeding just plain PH balanced water since my soil is very nutrient dense (sohum soil).

A

architeuthis

Purple stems usually indicate nutrient lockout and the plant is getting ill
There are no other signs of deficiencies. It’s been probably a week since they got out under this specific light.
It happened with my last grow but I assumed it was genetics since I grew the same strain under the California light works light from clone to flower the first grow.
For the second grow I started it under my ac infinity light and stems were green until moving it under the California light. The plants were there until harvest (approx 12 weeks) and showed no other signs deficiencies. I used lotus nutes that round and amended my soil with a brand I can’t think of for the life of me.
That’s why I’m assuming light issues over nute issues.

R

ritoMox

There are no other signs of deficiencies. It’s been probably a week since they got out under this specific light.
It happened with my last grow but I assumed it was genetics since I grew the same strain under the California light works light from clone to flower the first grow.
For the second grow I started it under my ac infinity light and stems were green until moving it under the California light. The plants were there until harvest (approx 12 weeks) and showed no other signs deficiencies. I used lotus nutes that round and amended my soil with a brand I can’t think of for the life of me.
That’s why I’m assuming light issues over nute issues.
Thanks for letting me know about the California light works. I was planning on getting that same light for when I need it, but I'll hold off till I can find more info. FYI, back in the day I used Fluoros and never experienced anything but green stems. Not sure if that means anything, but just thought I'd throw it out there✌🏻

A

architeuthis

Thanks for letting me know about the California light works. I was planning on getting that same light for when I need it, but I'll hold off till I can find more info. FYI, back in the day I used Fluoros and never experienced anything but green stems. Not sure if that means anything, but just thought I'd throw it out there✌🏻
They’re pricy too! If AC infinity made one for a 5x5 I’d be all over it. Green stems always and the way they’re integrating the controls with the intake fan controls sounds convenient.

G

Glomus

Yeah actually it looks like maybe a phosphorous deficiency. Also maybe a secondary deficiency like zinc or iron. Since you are not feedin anything to it, depending on what your soil is amended with. Are you inoculated?
Unless you are using RO water you should have some cal mag in them. It could have something to do with a cal mag deficiency. L amino acids will chelate CAL/MAG in the soil and water if you think you need it. Kelp can help with that too.

I can see the leaf tips are burned so its most likely lock out or a PH issue. Dude I hate LEDS

Last edited:
G

Glomus

Yeah they actually have some sick T5 built in ballast set ups out there, I've use those for veg and then an HPS for flower on a track. But yeah my friend did this huge spider farmer setup and I feel like the yield is a lot lower with LEDs. His grow room was cool tho cuz he was doing a fully automated aeroponic setup, pretty sick.

beluga

beluga

So I don't know too too much about living soils, but, what are you doing to keep it (the soil biome) alive and well?
If I understand correctly... if you're only ever diluting it, you're depleting the availability of food for the microbes who are supplying food to your plants.

I've only seen LEDs turn leaf stems (petioles) purple. I don't think that's your cause.

HippiHemuli

HippiHemuli

High intensity led could lead purple stems top of plant and green mid and bottom and its not huge issue, stems try protect themself with color or something like that what i been read. So maybe rising led little bit or dimming it lower could help. 🙂

R

ritoMox

Yeah they actually have some sick T5 built in ballast set ups out there, I've use those for veg and then an HPS for flower on a track. But yeah my friend did this huge spider farmer setup and I feel like the yield is a lot lower with LEDs. His grow room was cool tho cuz he was doing a fully automated aeroponic setup, pretty sick.
Excluding the Sun (😉), what light/s would you (or anyone here) use if quality was your only goal? Quality as in taste, smell, High, smokeability.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Probably not helpful but perhaps interesting is that the leaves of a crop of tomatoes we grew turned purple while growing in an Aerogarden. I contacted their support and was told it was normal and not to worry about it. They mentioned it had to do with the LED lights but didn't explain it further. So I took about a dozen cuttings and started them outside. Every one of them turned back to the usual shade of green and grew fruit. So I'm pretty sure the purple had something to do with the light.

A

architeuthis

Didn’t even think of that! Will check when I get home. the bottoms of the stalks are still green striped, not sure if that tells you anything in the mean time.

Homesteader

Homesteader

I have high intensity LEDs and can tell you that I am almost positive even without looking at the plant that it isn't a deficiency but a large production of anthocyanin caused by blue (and or red) light. You have a lot of blue in that light recipe. Anthocyanin acts like chlorophyll in that it is a pigment and will show on stems and branches that are hitting the light.

Latest posts

Top Bottom