Sterile Reservoir for multi-feed(auto irrigation) in Coco

• Thread starter infam0usgro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
infam0usgro

infam0usgro

Hello all,

Have a question if anyone can possibly understand the madness that is going through my head. I currently run an irrigation system on my plants with a reservoir that is setup on a timer. Now I normally use microbes to help "break-down" nutrients in my reservoir however, I am wondering if this approach might my issue.

Every time my feed turns on, im getting a smell that comes out my lines which obviously is coming from the microbes that are remaining in the pipeline. If I ran a sterile reservoir (meaning not using microbes) i believe that this smell and bio-film would disappear. I constantly have to clean my drippers and lines and it is really a hassle.

Can anyone give me insight if running my nutrients with a hydrogen peroxide or sodium-hypochlorite(bleach) would help keep bio-film and smell out of my lines. I understand that this would kill microbes so its one or the other. Would running this in a coco environment be a good idea or bad idea. Feel free to express your thoughts. Thanks !

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Hello all,

Have a question if anyone can possibly understand the madness that is going through my head. I currently run an irrigation system on my plants with a reservoir that is setup on a timer. Now I normally use microbes to help "break-down" nutrients in my reservoir however, I am wondering if this approach might my issue.

Every time my feed turns on, im getting a smell that comes out my lines which obviously is coming from the microbes that are remaining in the pipeline. If I ran a sterile reservoir (meaning not using microbes) i believe that this smell and bio-film would disappear. I constantly have to clean my drippers and lines and it is really a hassle.

Can anyone give me insight if running my nutrients with a hydrogen peroxide or sodium-hypochlorite(bleach) would help keep bio-film and smell out of my lines. I understand that this would kill microbes so its one or the other. Would running this in a coco environment be a good idea or bad idea. Feel free to express your thoughts. Thanks !
I've got a 30 gal electric water heater with a burner out (it was under warranty, switched it out and kept the old one) and was planning on using it with a timer as a gravity feed for my first coco grow. I hadn't even considered bio build up in the tank, piping and drip heads. Hummm...

I don't have any answers for you but hoping someone here does as it looks like I'll run into the same issues.

Enforcer

Enforcer

Unless microbes are meant to go in the reservoir(Mammoth P for instance) they usually don’t play well in a res. Actually, any organics don’t really play well in a res. I auto feed and I use microbes. The microbes are hand watered in once a week. This keeps them out of the res, but the plants still get the benefits. I got a cheap pump sprayer from Lowe’s and wrote “microbes only” on it. I only use it for their once a week treat. BTW, the weekly microbe flush also prevents salt buildup in the coco. 😜

As for the funk in the lines. Run some H2O2 solution through your system between each run to prevent that buildup.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
The reason to run sterile rez in a setup like you have is PH stability. The addition of microbes and organics will just add to the amount of control and work to keep your rez where you want it. Also line clogs. This is especially true, unless you are running serious pressure, using 1/8 drip line vs 1/4.

This isnt a knock on organics or microbes or a debate of which is better. I would love to run all sorts of shit like that in my rez's but as it stands with salts and sterile my rez might move .1 on the PH scale over 8 days without me touching it. The last thing I want to do is fuck with the PH constantly and adding more P every time I do by dosing PH down.

As Enforcer said that is the right way to do it.

Pheno Farms

Pheno Farms

Unless microbes are meant to go in the reservoir(Mammoth P for instance) they usually don’t play well in a res. Actually, any organics don’t really play well in a res. I auto feed and I use microbes. The microbes are hand watered in once a week. This keeps them out of the res, but the plants still get the benefits. I got a cheap pump sprayer from Lowe’s and wrote “microbes only” on it. I only use it for their once a week treat. BTW, the weekly microbe flush also prevents salt buildup in the coco. 😜

As for the funk in the lines. Run some H2O2 solution through your system between each run to prevent that buildup.

Now you got me wondering what other microbes are “meant” for reservoirs. I’d imagine Hydroguard would be one. Also to clarify, mammoth doesn’t leave a nasty buildup in the system? Hate how pricey it is but if that’s the case might be worth getting for some weekly treatments. Also, I’m curious how u do this whole backpack sprayer thing. It’s how I add Nematodes to my coco so I understand the concept. But what I’m asking is are u just making a super concentrated mix and then giving each plant a few seconds each? The. Go over the liquid top dress u just didnwith a regular feed using your system to work the microbes into the medium? Was thinking about doing the same but with a pump and wand setup.

Enforcer

Enforcer

Now you got me wondering what other microbes are “meant” for reservoirs. I’d imagine Hydroguard would be one. Also to clarify, mammoth doesn’t leave a nasty buildup in the system? Hate how pricey it is but if that’s the case might be worth getting for some weekly treatments. Also, I’m curious how u do this whole backpack sprayer thing. It’s how I add Nematodes to my coco so I understand the concept. But what I’m asking is are u just making a super concentrated mix and then giving each plant a few seconds each? The. Go over the liquid top dress u just didnwith a regular feed using your system to work the microbes into the medium? Was thinking about doing the same but with a pump and wand setup.

I just removed the nozzle on the tip of the wand and feed directly to the top of the coco. Now I’ve made a transfer pump and hose I use instead. Kinda like the pump and wand you mentioned. Works great.

I use Recharge by Real Growers. I mix up 4 gallons and flush each plant well once a week.

bunkerking

bunkerking

Slf100, but that's an enzyme not a microbe itself.

Yah... microbe spores don't really survive those high npk numbers when not in a media. Would just not use them in the res.

Pheno Farms

Pheno Farms

I just removed the nozzle on the tip of the wand and feed directly to the top of the coco. Now I’ve made a transfer pump and hose I use instead. Kinda like the pump and wand you mentioned. Works great.

I use Recharge by Real Growers. I mix up 4 gallons and flush each plant well once a week.

Basically what I’m doing now is once a week I flush. So I make that flush low PPMs but high in bennies! I like recharge as well. Terragrow is also a great product! Not only has bennies but has the food they need to thrive! I also use Plus-C as part of my weekly flush. And yeah pump and wand method. Just bypass my whole system. However I’ve now been intrigued by MORE @growwithmore is their IG I believe. It’s bacteria based but will clean and essentially sterilize your lines (for lack of better terms) and when fed into your plants it won’t kill your bennies! It’s a bacteria itself yet can be used in an aerocloner to replace UC Roots or Cleanse or Clear Rez! Which is INSANE! Bacteria in a cloner is a major no no! It’s not the same as hydrogaurd. Similar concept kinda but not really. Look into it. Super impressed with what I’ve seen. Very reputable guys swearing by it too. According to them I won’t need to hand feed once a week anymore! Just follow up with MORE!

Sinmuffin

Sinmuffin

Basically what I’m doing now is once a week I flush. So I make that flush low PPMs but high in bennies! I like recharge as well. Terragrow is also a great product! Not only has bennies but has the food they need to thrive! I also use Plus-C as part of my weekly flush. And yeah pump and wand method. Just bypass my whole system. However I’ve now been intrigued by MORE @growwithmore is their IG I believe. It’s bacteria based but will clean and essentially sterilize your lines (for lack of better terms) and when fed into your plants it won’t kill your bennies! It’s a bacteria itself yet can be used in an aerocloner to replace UC Roots or Cleanse or Clear Rez! Which is INSANE! Bacteria in a cloner is a major no no! It’s not the same as hydrogaurd. Similar concept kinda but not really. Look into it. Super impressed with what I’ve seen. Very reputable guys swearing by it too. According to them I won’t need to hand feed once a week anymore! Just follow up with MORE!
you heard of clear line. Was thinking of running that with my microbes. To prevent build ups in soil n the lines as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom