Sterilizing soil in the oven

• Thread starter Trillion
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Trillion

I have ran into a rather bad thrips problem in the last couple weeks, my set up is completely new and in a clean location. At the moment I can only suspect my batch of Plagron light mix of harbouring the larvae of my uninvited guests.

My question is what is the best way to sterilize soil before planting? Boiling water or just putting it in the oven on low for a bit? An help is mch appreciated:handshake

Trillion

C

cway

Are you growing organics? ( nevermind dumb question).. lol

. If its just plagron mix then you might be ok.. Make sure to add worm castings to get build back a microherd

Post results also.. Im curious about this one..

T

Trillion

no not a dumb question, im using house and garden a&b so not organics, i just thought i'd put it in the organic soil section as its a soil question.

I just had a thought ... how about just a good drenching and run off of water with plenty of h2o2?

C

cway

If not organic then should be fine.. Heat kills benficial bacteria in Organic Mediums so if it was organic then not too sure it work but if not organic then youll be fine...

If you cook it though ( Assuming you have never baked soil) Expect your house to smell like shit and burnt dirt.. Not a god smell or easy to get rid of for that matter..

Not sure H20 will do, it might just make the Larva hatch..

forman

forman

I tried to sterlize in the oven once(huge mess), and all my seedlings died. I would just start with fresh soil.

hubcap

hubcap

if you place the soil in the oven to sterilize it, youll do just that.

the soil will be devoid of ALL life, beneficial, or otherwise.

IF you MUST cook your dirt, adding EWC, or amending, somehow, after the cook, is IMPERATIVE....otheriwse id just save the steps and buy a big bag of coco.

technically the same darn thing as sterilized soil. imo, of course.

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
or you can use a microwave for small amounts, works well for sterilising and takes alot less time, not so smelly too. Hope that helps

Top Bottom