Still not 100% on how to tell

• Thread starter Izzy1980
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Well, here she is.a few days later, any thoughts?
i’m unsure with the colour of the bud, especially first picture, hopefully others will chime in, but like i said looks like bad light burn? i could be wrong!!
hope it ain’t as that probably has killed off what would be thc..
let’s wait and see what others think

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Got my Microsocope thing working so here's a few pics of her trichomes, didnt realise they were still so clear???
Looking at the buds, I would say that you are very close to being finished. I base this on the beginnings of foxtailing (note the round nubbs on the end of the buds), which I take as a sign of maturity. You are also losing the fan leaves in a manner that is normal for the finish of flowering, not from nutrient issues. Some plants will keep throwing pistils after they are long gone, so you can't judge it like that anymore with so many strains having pistils now during vegging.

Izzy1980

Izzy1980

Dya know,.that's what I was thinking, its worrying me about the THC, shes not a sticky plant to just touch, she never has been plus she only smells like.diesel when I sniff her buds,.theres no odour at all,

If its light burn,.I obviously socially distance them lol a.bit.firthe
Looking at the buds, I would say that you are very close to being finished. I base this on the beginnings of foxtailing (note the round nubbs on the end of the buds), which I take as a sign of maturity. You are also losing the fan leaves in a manner that is normal for the finish of flowering, not from nutrient issues. Some plants will keep throwing pistils after they are long gone, so you can't judge it like that anymore with so many strains having pistils now during vegging.
So, do you think it is light burn or just the buds draining all the nutrients out for a last few feeds?

Also, have you or has anyone used " Flawless Finish" from Advanced Nutrients, when I started about a year ago I bought everything lol, any reason to NOT use it???

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Dya know,.that's what I was thinking, its worrying me about the THC, shes not a sticky plant to just touch, she never has been plus she only smells like.diesel when I sniff her buds,.theres no odour at all,

So, do you think it is light burn or just the buds draining all the nutrients out for a last few feeds?

Also, have you or has anyone used " Flawless Finish" from Advanced Nutrients, when I started about a year ago I bought everything lol, any reason to NOT use it???
not sure if that’s actual foxtailing?
light burn can do that also..
his problem was light burn from the start.
that plant will only be good for edibles is my guess..
buds look kinda burnt coloured?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter

I DON'T think it is light burn, as only the leaves are affected. Light burn is an actual burn, and the leaves get crispy. LEDs tend to bleach the leaves when they get too much light, but it isn't a thermal burn. I've never used any type of finish product, and in my opinion, you won't get much more growth at all. The plant is pulling the last of it's reserves out of the larger leaves, which is why they yellow and die. Think of an Oak tree in the fall. Once the leaves start to die, there is no bringing them back as the tree has put all of it's energies into making acorns... and the leaves all turn colors as the tree does the same thing as cannabis. Obviously this is only a rough comparison, but the general idea is the same. Once you lose the green colors, most of the growing is over.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I DON'T think it is light burn, as only the leaves are affected. Light burn is an actual burn, and the leaves get crispy. LEDs tend to bleach the leaves when they get too much light, but it isn't a thermal burn. I've never used any type of finish product, and in my opinion, you won't get much more growth at all. The plant is pulling the last of it's reserves out of the larger leaves, which is why they yellow and die. Think of an Oak tree in the fall. Once the leaves start to die, there is no bringing them back as the tree has put all of it's energies into making acorns... and the leaves all turn colors as the tree does the same thing as cannabis. Obviously this is only a rough comparison, but the general idea is the same. Once you lose the green colors, most of the growing is over.
yep i get ya..
here some led light burn photos, not trying to compare to his..

BA9E6577 B703 4DF0 BED5 8F91F7EF78BB
834EA4AE D02A 4F55 A357 ACC888BBB481
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
i’m unsure with the colour of the bud, especially first picture, hopefully others will chime in, but like i said looks like bad light burn? i could be wrong!!
hope it ain’t as that probably has killed off what would be thc..
let’s wait and see what others think

F40BC24E 0ECC 4073 B1CE 29A8B539D126
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I promise you that this is the start of foxtailing... I have seen it enough to recognize it long before it gets carried away. If you look at the growing tips of the buds, they are starting to stack up in columns instead of broadly across, looking like little round points. To my eyes, it looks normal but I can't see things too good on this particular computer for some reason. In my experience, which is only from HID lighting and not LED, they don't look thermally burned. LED damage is different and I can't really speak from experience with it. Not all plants are going to smell. Most sativa strains have little odor but some skunk strains are overpowering... it is all in the genetics. You look like you did a good job with this plant... if it was going to smell, it would have done so. Don't mix up smell with potency!
Regarding THC degradation from letting it finish for too long... the difference is actually very minuscule. In my experience, allowing it to flower until it is damn near dead produces the sweetest and most flavorful buds... the potency doesn't change too much at the end, mostly the flavor and girth of the buds.
Again, this is all just my opinion and experience, I certainly don't know all the answers. Foxtailed buds aren't really bad, they are just a different shape than normal buds and tend to grow flatter instead of cylindrical. It always looked like a glove to me, with the fingers being the round growth at the tips when they stack up. Sometimes plants just finish early. Some say LEDs can shave a week or two off of normal flowering and some additives can shorten it as well it seems. Most strains are being bred to be short, bushy, and have short flowering times to make it easy to grow in a tent.

Izzy1980

Izzy1980

The buds are a really deep purple colour

Izzy1980

Izzy1980

I promise you that this is the start of foxtailing... I have seen it enough to recognize it long before it gets carried away. If you look at the growing tips of the buds, they are starting to stack up in columns instead of broadly across, looking like little round points. To my eyes, it looks normal but I can't see things too good on this particular computer for some reason. In my experience, which is only from HID lighting and not LED, they don't look thermally burned. LED damage is different and I can't really speak from experience with it. Not all plants are going to smell. Most sativa strains have little odor but some skunk strains are overpowering... it is all in the genetics. You look like you did a good job with this plant... if it was going to smell, it would have done so. Don't mix up smell with potency!
Regarding THC degradation from letting it finish for too long... the difference is actually very minuscule. In my experience, allowing it to flower until it is damn near dead produces the sweetest and most flavorful buds... the potency doesn't change too much at the end, mostly the flavor and girth of the buds.
Again, this is all just my opinion and experience, I certainly don't know all the answers. Foxtailed buds aren't really bad, they are just a different shape than normal buds and tend to grow flatter instead of cylindrical. It always looked like a glove to me, with the fingers being the round growth at the tips when they stack up. Sometimes plants just finish early. Some say LEDs can shave a week or two off of normal flowering and some additives can shorten it as well it seems. Most strains are being bred to be short, bushy, and have short flowering times to make it easy to grow in a tent.

So, start to flush her now? If you were me what would you do now ?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The colors ARE nice! At the end of flowering, photosynthesis slows to a crawl and the plant uses it's reserves... as it does, the chlorophyll that was responsible for the photosynthesis breaks down and the colors in the plant and bud that were hidden by the chlorophyll's green color, start to show thru. Many strains will have a lot of purples in them, especially if it is a little chilly at the end of flowering. The colors might develop a little more, but I don't think it's going to grow much anymore. A lot of folks confuse the leaf die-off with nutrient issues, but in my experience, the yellowing of fan leaves is pretty normal. If you aren't seeing it, then it can be a sign of too much nitrogen. A plant is done when it is done, regardless of what the breeder says. You did a good job and it's about ready. You can let it go for a few weeks, but won't see much more out of it and probably won't have any leaves. Most of my plants die off if you let them finish flowering totally... they don't re-vegg sometimes.

Izzy1980

Izzy1980

The colors ARE nice! At the end of flowering, photosynthesis slows to a crawl and the plant uses it's reserves... as it does, the chlorophyll that was responsible for the photosynthesis breaks down and the colors in the plant and bud that were hidden by the chlorophyll's green color, start to show thru. Many strains will have a lot of purples in them, especially if it is a little chilly at the end of flowering. The colors might develop a little more, but I don't think it's going to grow much anymore. A lot of folks confuse the leaf die-off with nutrient issues, but in my experience, the yellowing of fan leaves is pretty normal. If you aren't seeing it, then it can be a sign of too much nitrogen. A plant is done when it is done, regardless of what the breeder says. You did a good job and it's about ready. You can let it go for a few weeks, but won't see much more out of it and probably won't have any leaves. Most of my plants die off if you let them finish flowering totally... they don't re-vegg sometimes.
Thanks for that, I'm gonna flush her next week, have you any opinions on "Flawless Finish" ???

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Thanks for that, I'm gonna flush her next week, have you any opinions on "Flawless Finish" ???
No, as I mentioned, I have never used it. I don't think any type of additive is going to affect your plant at this point. I'm not certain a flush provides any benefits either, but I take it as a matter of personal preference for growers... some do, some don't. The flush is supposed to get rid of excess nutrients. Adding a "flawless Finish" would sort of defeat that purpose, wouldn't it? As it stands, your plant is progressing normally. Any changes to growing should have been done a while back. All you can do now is provide a smooth finish, which you seem to be doing. The finish product is your choice... some like it, some don't. It is simply a very specific nutrient without the other's included.

Izzy1980

Izzy1980

No, as I mentioned, I have never used it. I don't think any type of additive is going to affect your plant at this point. I'm not certain a flush provides any benefits either, but I take it as a matter of personal preference for growers... some do, some don't. The flush is supposed to get rid of excess nutrients. Adding a "flawless Finish" would sort of defeat that purpose, wouldn't it? As it stands, your plant is progressing normally. Any changes to growing should have been done a while back. All you can do now is provide a smooth finish, which you seem to be doing. The finish product is your choice... some like it, some don't. It is simply a very specific nutrient without the other's included.
Thanks for your knowledge,.very much appreciated

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I promise you that this is the start of foxtailing... I have seen it enough to recognize it long before it gets carried away. If you look at the growing tips of the buds, they are starting to stack up in columns instead of broadly across, looking like little round points... I took the liberty of highlighting a few in an earlier picture. To my eyes, it looks normal but I can't see things too good on this particular computer for some reason. In my experience, which is only from HID lighting and not LED, they don't look thermally burned

Purple foxtail
Izzy1980

Izzy1980

I promise you that this is the start of foxtailing... I have seen it enough to recognize it long before it gets carried away. If you look at the growing tips of the buds, they are starting to stack up in columns instead of broadly across, looking like little round points... I took the liberty of highlighting a few in an earlier picture. To my eyes, it looks normal but I can't see things too good on this particular computer for some reason. In my experience, which is only from HID lighting and not LED, they don't look thermally burned
Thanks for your reply, What happens if she's started foxtailing, is that very bad news??

Izzy1980

Izzy1980

I just read this on RQS,

However, foxtailing is not always an abnormality. There are certain cannabis varieties that feature naturally-occurring foxtails, like in some Purple strains, or the Cole Train strain. This process is more common,

So.im wondering as she's a purple strain maybe it's normal for it???

growsince79

growsince79

I would have already chopped her. The foxtailing will just get worse. The buds grow loose and fluffy fall apart every time you touch it.

Izzy1980

Izzy1980

I did find this picture of her strain, looks like foxtailing in the picture?

She's a really dark purple

Screenshot 20200411 210924 Chrome

Latest posts

Top Bottom