Stinky coco

• Thread starter iscrog4food
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
iscrog4food

iscrog4food

I mixed up some coco about 3 weeks ago and I inoculated with great white. I didn't use it all and so I left it in a cooler. Now I went to use it for transplants and the stuff near th bottom of the cooler was smelling a bit funky. Should I Toss the funky stuff? I already mixed the top coco with perlite but it smelled fine should that be ok? Also I have som dm zone I could pre rinse with but I am just not sure where to Gordon here. Any help appreciated.

Ever after

Ever after

you left it in a cooler? would that make like a bio dome heaven for decomposers and bacteria and molds?
:banana1sv6:

I would toss that stuff out ? stinky coco sounds like it could kill your plants

It might be ok but i would be soooo troubled by using any of it............ I would pressure cook all of it with the perlite in it. or just go buy some new coco because thats the safest thing to do and make sure you throw out the nasty coco as there could be some kind of spore causing this smell your having.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I mixed up some coco about 3 weeks ago and I inoculated with great white. I didn't use it all and so I left it in a cooler. Now I went to use it for transplants and the stuff near th bottom of the cooler was smelling a bit funky. Should I Toss the funky stuff? I already mixed the top coco with perlite but it smelled fine should that be ok? Also I have som dm zone I could pre rinse with but I am just not sure where to Gordon here. Any help appreciated.
What kind of stinky? If it's like an old aquarium, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's a sharp or rotten egg kind of smell, I would definitely worry about it. If nothing else, you can spread it out in the sun and whatever's made it stinky will likely die.

symbiote420

symbiote420

What kind of stinky? If it's like an old aquarium, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's a sharp or rotten egg kind of smell, I would definitely worry about it. If nothing else, you can spread it out in the sun and whatever's made it stinky will likely die.

Sea, I love when people know what they talking about. Once again you have judged correct!
When the soil/coir can't breathe, bad anaerobic bacteria and things build up and cause the foul stench you're smelling. Do what seamaiden said.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

yeah it is like rotten smelling. I am just gonna toss the smelly stuff, buy new and soak the new coco in DM zone just in case some of the stuff I tossed in the perlite has some bacteria in it. I wish I could put it outside but I live in the city and I dont need nosey neighbors wondering why im bringing in 200 gallons of perlite / coco intot the house. Thanks for the help guys!

Top Bottom