Storing Cuts in the Fridge

• Thread starter lilzayne
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
lilzayne

lilzayne

What up Farmers. Im gonna have to shut down for a couple weeks and do not wanna lose my genetics! Anyone have experience storing cuts in the fridge? If so, feel free to chime in about your methods or experience doing this. Any input is appreciated.

-Lil Zayne

ttystikk

ttystikk

What up Farmers. Im gonna have to shut down for a couple weeks and do not wanna lose my genetics! Anyone have experience storing cuts in the fridge? If so, feel free to chime in about your methods or experience doing this. Any input is appreciated.

-Lil Zayne

Keep them in a Ziploc bag, keep them dark, keep them moist but not damp. Should be good for up to a month. Some even root in the fridge...

neverbreak

neverbreak

Keep them in a Ziploc bag, keep them dark, keep them moist but not damp. Should be good for up to a month. Some even root in the fridge...

have ya actually kept em good for up to a month? never been game to try past a couple of weeks..

neverbreak

lilzayne

lilzayne

Rad input guys. Years ago I've rooted cuts after 10 days or so of being in the fridge. I didn't think too much of it and just had cuts in a ziplock bag with moist paper towel wrapped around the bottom.
It's cool to hear about the misting trick, do you guys know if i should still wrap the bottoms in a wet paper towel or just mist them?
Another method I heard of was putting cuts in a mason jar with a small layer of water at the bottom... any thought on this?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl

-Lil Zayne
Ziploc bag or even a cup of water, just stuck in the fridge. If you don't do like I did and forget that they were in that fridge downstairs and thus forget to keep (fresh! if it gets slimy you've gotta change it out, just like with cut flowers) then you'll lose the cuts. If you do the baggie thing, I like to do like my mother taught me for *all* plants* (this is how I got cuttings of my grandmother's herbs from Puerto Rico to California) and recut under water, then wrap the ends in paper towels while under water and when you lift the cuttings, simply squeeze the excess moisture from the towels, then place into the baggies. In the fridge I would leave the baggie partially open with a little extra water in it, so the plants can breathe a bit.

I've kept cuttings in my fridge using the cup method (air flow is important for long term health) for a couple of months. They won't grow roots, but if you put the cup somewhere warmer then they often will.

Chobble

Chobble

^^^^^^
I grew a bunch of salvias for a plant sale a while back. Needless to say our stock plants couldn't propagate enough of a one or another variety. So we ordered cuttings from south america (YES SOUTH AMERICA). They arrived in a cardboard box, packaged carefully with dry ice at the bottum. The cuttings where all in 20's I believe in a zip-lock bag, the 20 cuttings where rapped in a wet paper towel.

Ziploc bag or even a cup of water, just stuck in the fridge. If you don't do like I did and forget that they were in that fridge downstairs and thus forget to keep (fresh! if it gets slimy you've gotta change it out, just like with cut flowers) then you'll lose the cuts. If you do the baggie thing, I like to do like my mother taught me for *all* plants* (this is how I got cuttings of my grandmother's herbs from Puerto Rico to California) and recut under water, then wrap the ends in paper towels while under water and when you lift the cuttings, simply squeeze the excess moisture from the towels, then place into the baggies. In the fridge I would leave the baggie partially open with a little extra water in it, so the plants can breathe a bit.

I've kept cuttings in my fridge using the cup method (air flow is important for long term health) for a couple of months. They won't grow roots, but if you put the cup somewhere warmer then they often will.

I had a boss who liked to keep a branch of his males in the refrigerator until it was time to collect pollen, then he would set them on the window sill and the flowers would open.

Its all about slowing the plants metabolism so no growth/nutrient transfer will happen. The plant can live for a very long time with its nutrient uptake halted by the cool temperature. Honestly If I was shooting for a way to preserve my cuttings and get them to root in a month, I would shoot for maidens cup method. Just be proactive changing that water out, I believe my boss did it daily; or so he said ;)

Chobble

lilzayne

lilzayne

^^^ Thanks Chobble. Yea, I'm thinking every 3 or so days (or however often I can) I'll take them out of the plastic bag and air em out for 15 or so minutes... let any excess moisture dry and what not.
Mom's are going to be cut down tommorow! :-( I will let you all know how it goes! If things don't work out, it's not the end of the world.
One last question I have about this is, whether I should wrap the cuts together in one paper towel around multiple cuts, or if i should wrap a paper towel on each individual cut...?
Again, thank you all for the input and the help along the way!

lilzayne

lilzayne

Whats up Farmers. I just wanted to give an update... cuts were taken out of the fridge yesterday Dec. 5 (they were in fridge for 17 days) and placed into mini blocks. I'll give an update about the progress. Thanks to everyone for their input and help along the way!

lilzayne

lilzayne

What up Farmers. I just wanted to update this thread and let everyone know that every cut rooted. The earliest one rooted at about 8 days in and the last one took about 12 days. Today is almost day 14 and I'm gonna transplant into solo cups. Big thanks to all the homies who helped along the way, Ttystick, Shamus, Seamaiden, Chobble, and all the others. You guys gave great advice!
I would like to experiment some time when I'm not in such a crucial need of cuts and see how long I can root them after they had been in the fridge. I rooted them 17 days in, but if I were to do it again in the future and jsut to be safe, I would say 14 days is the safe zone. ALso, sorry for the lack of pics... Pics showing the way I did things throughout the process would be of much help and I didnt take the time to get some, so sorry for that.
If anyone still has any thoughts, advice, or just would like to add their 2 cents about storing cuts in the fridge, please feel free to do so!

-Lil Zayne

shoestring

shoestring

Hey i dont know where the science is behind this but sometimes when i have too many cuttings or not enough time in the day i store my fresh cuts in a cup of tap water in the fridge for.up to a week or so. Amazingly the ones stored like this actually strike roots about one or two days FASTER than the cuts i take immediately from the mom to the cubes. Ive been doing this for years and without.a doubt it works. Must be something to do with carbs and nitrogen leaching. But all i know is that i get a faster root formation whenever i do this. Try it in a A&B type situation over several cuts over time.

lilzayne

lilzayne

Hey i dont know where the science is behind this but sometimes when i have too many cuttings or not enough time in the day i store my fresh cuts in a cup of tap water in the fridge for.up to a week or so. Amazingly the ones stored like this actually strike roots about one or two days FASTER than the cuts i take immediately from the mom to the cubes. Ive been doing this for years and without.a doubt it works. Must be something to do with carbs and nitrogen leaching. But all i know is that i get a faster root formation whenever i do this. Try it in a A&B type situation over several cuts over time.

Very very interesting Shoestring. These cuts rooted about a day faster than average for me and I was thinking the same thing... One of the persons at the hydro store was talking about how when cuts are stored flowering hormones come into action (not sure at all what this really means), but it made me think if because the cuts produce flowering hormones while being stored if that has to do with them rooting faster. I really really like the idea of being able to store cuts and not having to root them right away! Thanks for you input Shoestring!

My personal record is 6wks in the fridge.

Flo, stem wrapped in partially inflated ziplock.

Wow, 6 weeks WalterWhiteFire, thats awesome! So do you not seal the ziplock bag all the way to allow some air to get in?... Seamaiden was recommending this but I actually didnt do it this way and seal the bags entirely. Over the 17 days I never opened the bags, changed the moist paper towels, let out excess moisture or anything... Just kept them completely sealed. I would like to try not sealing the bag all the way next time though. Thanks for sharing WalterWhiteFire!

Top Bottom