Storing male pollen?

• Thread starter dutchman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

dutchman

Is it possible to store male pollen for later use with a female plant? In the refrigerator? For how long?
Thank you for your answers.

Wbwidow

Wbwidow

Yes a lot of people freese the male pollen for weeks to months and just thaw it out when ready to pollinate the ladies

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, although I believe the breeders I know refrigerate their male pollen, and I believe that they also use a dessicant of one type or another.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Is it possible to store male pollen for later use with a female plant? In the refrigerator? For how long?
Thank you for your answers.
pay attention to what container and whether or not it matters if pods are dried or wet when stored in freezer im working on all that myself

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Yes, although I believe the breeders I know refrigerate their male pollen, and I believe that they also use a dessicant of one type or another.
Thanx for all the knowledge you kickdown SEA,.....

cannabeans

cannabeans

I read a while back,(from DJ Short) If you are to store pollen in the fridge, make sure there are air holes in the container. I did this and stored pollen for about a year, and took some out last summer and dusted my lower branches and had great results. I have never tried the freezer.

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

I freeze pollen and use it later. It works wonders, for me. Easy peasy. I keep mine inside a small paper bag (labeled: date/ type, of course), inside a tiny plastic BEAN bag lol, surrounded by rice (not labeled of course), inside a tightly sealed jar (labeled of course), inside, yet another, PLASTIC BAG (labeled of course lmfao, PS I fucking hate plastic, but you couldn't tell, could you? could you?!). Overkill; yes I am sure, but it works wonders, for me. If any of this makes sense at all. I am as medicated, as I can possibly be. Shit, I guess I should tell you that you should let the pollen fall and then collect it, so you never have to sift bullshit out or blah blah blah. Different strokes, different folks. Just in case though, here is how I do it. I cut my branches (just like a cutting) and keep them in a cup, on wax paper with the male flower hanging over the side, until pollen naturally falls and then scrape it up/ package it up and immediately freeze. No pause for drying, but my way is a lot less wet than some other that ways I have seen done. The cutting stays alive easy for 5-7 days, if not more. My way of pollen collection came to me in a dreaming lmfao. That just took me so long to type out, and I apologize, but I hope that you take something from it. Positive vibes...

~nugzz

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Stank, you mention rice. Well, I used to keep rice with my seeds. Then last year I discovered that it can abrade the hull off seeds, so I will no longer use it with seeds. I don't think it could cause a problem with pollen, but I was very surprised to see what it did to some older seeds of mine. You also make a good point about keeping things dry.

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

Thank you for the heads up, SM. I love to learn ANYTHING useful. I have just recently began storing pollen for long term use, but guess what!? I made beans with my pollen that was stored this way! Is that fucking amazing, or what!? I always used to just "chuck it and say fuck it", as I called it lmfao. I do NOT use rice for my bean storage, though. Shit, if you want the whole truth; I have not learned enough on refrigerator/freezer storing, and I have always just had my beans stored about as anally retentive as the pollen, just in a cool, dark SEXY spot. I just do not want to risk all of my cultivars. Maybe I will try to find some bag seed and do a little experiment. HMMMM. I have NEVER had much of a problem popping old beans though. (Looking anywhere for real wood/ lmfao actually, I am in the middle of them) Now really old beans... don't get me started. Positive vibes...

~nugzz

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've read too many horror stories of people losing their refrigerated bean stash to feel comfortable putting my collection in the fridge. Then, a few years ago our fridge took a MAJOR shit on us and we couldn't get it repaired, had to replace. I would prefer to have a dedicated refrigerator, like a little bar fridge, know what I mean?

!!+++!!

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
i used a zip lock bag to store pollen i let it dry on a paper plate for about 2 days then put it in the bag and kept it in my wine fridge used it 6 months later and it worked. i have done it again and again but never longer then 6 months

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

I've read too many horror stories of people losing their refrigerated bean stash to feel comfortable putting my collection in the fridge. Then, a few years ago our fridge took a MAJOR shit on us and we couldn't get it repaired, had to replace. I would prefer to have a dedicated refrigerator, like a little bar fridge, know what I mean?

!!+++!!

My thoughts EXACTLY. Why fix it, if it was not broken?! You can barley teach this old dog any new tricks lmfao. On a serious note though; I thirst for knowledge. Positive vibes...

~nugzz

Top Bottom