Strain choice help

• Thread starter Letsbecool
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Letsbecool

I am going to do my first grow and was going to do a 3 plant hydro setup. I was leaning toward an auto strain for short time but would the yeild be enough to keep me happy between harvests? Or would a regular strain yeild enough to keep me happy between harvests better even though the longer grow times?

Are there any strains that have a shorter grow time that arent auto, I've heard that a hash plant is a short grow?

jagle

jagle

id go for any short flowering time over an auto dude.

one reason why, autos are cannabis sativa crossed with cannabis ruderalis which has the auto gene. now if you go with an 8 week flowering plant itll not have this retarded low thc gene to cause it to auto flower.

yes 3 plants would be enough to keep you between harvests.
first off, if you can have a separate vegging area? you could veg and flower plants allowing you to have a perpetual grow in place. harvesting a plant every 2-3 weeks? would provide you with a plant to last 2 to 3 weeks eventually.
dont know what kinda space you have, or lights but i would top and train the 3 plants to get an even canopy to get the best for the light. eventually youll harvest, dry and cure and then smoke, so if you wait out the first 3 weeks youll be in full swing

when it comes to what seeds? well anything with a short flowering time, now consider an 8 week strain will take 10 weeks of 12/12 the first two weeks are more a transition period where the plant adapts to flowering.

have you any preference, the only very short flowering plant i can reccomend from personal experience is

Ko kush and Jackberry by Sannie

ko was indeed a ko and jackberry a great daytime smoke with some punch. tho only available in regular, you would really wanna go with femed if you didnt have a veg area, I would plant 3/4 of each to ensure 3-4 females

hope this helped

S

sk2004

The afganis go pretty quick, but if u don't like the end result, norp really worth it. Been runnin whites here, takes a while but no complaints from the cancer peoples.

Had a parallel discussion today at work while workn the line. Would u rather wait longer for good food, or have something fast. Obviously something good n quick would be best, but one suggestion would to be to pick whatever u want of the menu n it takes however long it takes.

Regarding the quantity, depends on appetite n how many people to feed.

L

Letsbecool

"Regarding the quantity, depends on appetite n how many people to feed. "
Im doing this all for me. im looking between a 1/4 an 1/2 per week could keep me somewhat happy.

"Space?"
Im currently about to build a cabinet thats 72" tall. 38" wide. 19" deep. and im gonna go LEDs because im trying to go as secretive as possible.

So idn if i can fit an extra veg area in my box.

If i was gonna go with a regular strain i was thinking of doing a scrog for them.

5O65P05R23n63k53m0bauc1da46dcb3ce1bef
S

sk2004

Nice. Nursery station below n flower on top. My biggest issue so far (w my limited experience) is climate. Leds or flouros would be way cooler than hids, but regardless should be like a wind tunnel in there. Plus, if u r doing it rite it will stink without filters.

When first started was getn about a Vick (quart) per popsicle on a 9 wk turn. Hopefully will get better soon. But some of my people say that nicer stuff cuts down on consumption

L

Letsbecool

Ya, im gonna go with LEDs and gonna have 2-3 pc fans for intake an osolating and a carbonfilter to suck the air out.

How big does the nursery need to be? Still kinda confused how that would work?

S

sk2004

Usually about a fourth the size with an 18-24 light cycle. Gives cuts a good place to root or seeds to get a good start on life. Mine is a shelf with a flourescent light and a couple 1020 trays. When they get 4-5 branches they go into the flowering (larger area) with 12 hr light (make sure they get 12 hrs of complete darkness) where they get 2 to 2 1/2 ft. If u go much taller, your area may get cramped. The idea is to have stuff ready to go in as soon as things finish.

One suggestion would be a 4-6 in high velocity inline fan with your filter with a variable speed controller. Even relatively cool running leds or flourescents can build up heat in confined areas.

That can be a nice setup but with any small area requires a good degree of organization to be productive. Before u know it, you will have another cabinet to keep a mother and another for drying for a continual process.

L

Letsbecool

i know i have no idea where im going to cure right now. I will def start a thread when i start building my box. How soon into there cycle do you take clones and put the in the small veg box?

S

sk2004

Having to make space for drying and curing would be a nice problem to have.

They pretty much stay in there until ready to go into flowering. Roots well under the cooler florescents, usually move them to the brighter t5s to get some branches going. If im very ambitious, will harden off under the hid where the mother lives for a couple days, but haven't been lately. Usually takes about 6 weeks. Also realize i did a lot of stuff wrong. (Reading faqs n forums help...thanks everyone for contributing) Light is probabaly underpowered so not a lot able to work well with larger plants. Also, temperatures over the summer were really bad. Can try n post some pics if that would help. Don't have any finished ones still, but can take some pics of cuts in nursury station, some that went in a couple days ago, and some in flowering for a couple weeks to give an idea how mine look even with less than perfect conditions.

With all that said, am making improvements. Got rid of strains that didn't work well. Solved temperatures and ventilation (fall helps). Started to play with hydro systems, and noticed a big difference in growth. Have fresh mothers, both from seed n another from cuts from plant used previously...will do those later this week. Also looking at other strains. So, hopefully things will get better.

L

Letsbecool

Ya idn if the bottom part would be big enough for veggin. Its only like 2 feet tall. I picked up the cabinet yesterday and its pretty bomb. It is an old tv cabiney and has a power strip already build in inside and the hole for the back of the tv is prefect fan size. The top is about 4 4.5 feet tall and the bottom is about 2.

jkar_928

jkar_928

jagle you shouldnt talk about autos because you obviously havent grown them my royal dwarf auto is one of the frostiest plants I've grown so dont knock it till you try it!! and I got 26 grams from it.

L

Letsbecool

Ya I'm kinda just leaning back toward autos for ease. I don't have the funds to do cloning and such.

S

sk2004

2 ft it more than my shelf. Just need room for some flourescents a tray and maybe a dome.
showphoto.php
(yes if u look close there are two parsley and an oregano)

These went into flowering a couple days ago.
showphoto.php

And these have been in for about 3 weeks.
showphoto.php

Keep in mind everything shown here has been treated roughly.

L

Letsbecool

I think I'm gonna do 3 super cali haze auto at a time and then turn the bottom part into my cure box. What do I need for that. You want it really dry, dark, and air circulation. Correct?

Has anyone done the super cali haze from short stuff seeds? They say it yeilds 2-4 zips per plant.

Top Bottom