Strain names and their influence

• Thread starter kolah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kolah

I wonder how much time, effort and energy is expended by breeders when they are naming new strains? As a young buck, I always had an interest in commercial sales/ads and marketing. Personally I think names are very important and the more we are exposed to it the more we would like or dislike the name of the strain.

How important are the names of strains? Do certain names get your interest? Are there some names that turn you off? Personally I think it plays a very big part in sales. Of course, I imagine most of us read up the reviews and such to see the specifics of the strain but that initial viewing of the name surely gets our attention or turns us away.

I admit certain names grab my attention more than others. In fact some names I will avoid all together just because of the name. I now that sounds a bit shallow and ridiculous but that's how I feel.

The fruity/edible-like names always get my interest: Blueberry, Pinapple Chunk, Chocolate Thai, etc. LSD always gets my attention too and anything with Kush in the name. Caramelicious and Tangerine Dream are cool. Train Wreck is a good name. Moonshine is quite appealing to me.

Names I dislike: I really dislike the vulgar names: Fuckin Incredible, Alaskan Thunderfuck, Rhinofuck and I also dislike using "God" in strains like God-Bud, Blue God,. ..Then there is God's Pussy, a combo of vulgarity and religion stuff. I just can't imagine 85 year old Granny asking for some God's Pussy....or how about the strain Donkey Dick? " Excuse me Sonny , I need some Donkey Dick?" Then there is a strain named Blueballs. "I am sorry Granny, no Donkey Dick here but I do have Blueballs." Anything with "Cough" in it turns me off. This is not to say it's a bad smoke but the name doesn't really pique my interest. Cat Piss is another odd one as is Brown Bomber (turds)

Some names are supposed to be funny or cutesy but man they sure rub me the wrong way. But some could be entertainingly funny. Like Green Crack and Blockhead . AK47 sounds a bit violent and the strain really doesn't fit the name, IMO. I am not too hip on naming strains after a person either. I know the intention may be in remembrance or in honor but it just doesn't grab me. Maybe because I think people can use a persons name to gain popularity based on the name itself. (although the MJ, Jack Herer lives up to it's name). I am not a big fan of the strain name of Bob Marley or Jerry Garcia.

On another note (wake n bake kicking in here) it would be interesting to write up a short story or poem using all the different names of weed strains....maybe it's been done already.

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

the donkey dick has been my all time best seller and i swear its just cause of the name. donkey dick is just a very memorable name. i think the more memorable the name and the more memorable the trichrome/ terpene profile is the more memorable the pot is to the user over-all. just my 2 cents take it easy guys.

420bliss

420bliss

interesting topic. name is always an attention grabber, anything with diesel or sour usually grabs mine first while i tend to stay away from fruity varieties, of coarse there are the exceptions with fpog, juicy fruit (tastes just like the gum) basically if it tastes how it smells im down and i dont find that to much with fruity stuff lol sorry if i got a lil off topic

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

Yeah I agree the name game can be a joke. I do apreciate when you can decipher the lineage from the name. Example, I dislike the name Extrema and choose to call it Heri-D. Seems more accurate.

symbiote420

symbiote420

Dry nuggz 017
Dry nuggz 019

Speaking of Extrema I'm down to my last of it.....I really like the name, man I really like this erb! Hey I like when folks name there strains without including the lineage(s) in the name, don't disclose the make up but don't use the parents as selling points either...let the erb speak for itself, too many Northern this and OG that! I named a few names in my time, I actually have won a couple of name contest around here, some parental names blend well though like White Fire does!
Plus I feel it's better to name the strain after it's grown out and sampled....I'll be messed up calling it Cat Piss and it smells like bubblegum!

vaporedout

vaporedout

i love in the movie pinapple express, when ted is naming weed, my all time favorite, "spanish trampoline" hahaha WTF??? ive thrown it in on a few name that seed threads but never took.

K

kolah

I have to agree that a name should fit the weed....for its characteristics (flavor, potency etc.) But, I do like names that blend the two (or three) crosses, ie Jacky White, Blue Cheese, etc. It saves me the time of not having to look it up or ask. But some of these combo names are a bit lame, imo of course. A name like LSD? Does it really live up to it's name. IMO, not even close. I have had other strains that were more trippy) LSD seems a bit deceptive in a sort but definitely an attention grabber. (at least for me because I enjoy hallucinogenics, mostly AZ peyote)

Also have to admit there are way too many Kush & OG names. Haze is getting over run as well.

I think a big part of choosing good names is to find out what other people like....not just what I think ..or someone else thinks. The buyers of the market will dictate what names and strains are popular. If people like Haze strains then naturally they will try MJ with that name in it. It appears that the name Donkey Dick seems to attract buyers....although it doesn't do it for me. But then again all sales people know that "sex sells" so maybe we need more names like that. Like "Wild Sex" or "Instant Boner" or Titty-Clitty or
"Orgasm Surprise" or " Big Melons."

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
As my mama always says, "I don't care what you call me, just don't call me late for dinner."

outwest

K

kolah

"Big" seems to work. I can't imagine something called "Tiny Bud" or "Small-spleef" attracting buyers but yes if the weed is good enough on it's own the name wont matter.

"Sweet" sounds appealing to me and Sour. "Sweet Nipples" and for the ladies: "SourBalls?"

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
"Big" seems to work. I can't imagine something called "Tiny Bud" or "Small-spleef" attracting buyers but yes if the weed is good enough in it's own the name wont matter.

Sweet sounds appealing to me and Sour. "Sweet Nipples" and for the ladies: "SourBalls?"

Someone here was talking about Monkey Balls.

outwest

V

vierundzwanzig

thanks Kolah I needed that and your timing is impeccable.
seed sales are slowing right now due to the big names that are being worked with.

its funny/sad some great people/breeders/chuckers with great intentions are being starved out by the machine. the media controls us pot smokers too. some are wiser than others and stick to their guns regardless of the name or hype. I feel for the noob that decides this summer is His summer because there are some strain names that are destroying people.

I feel you on the negative stuff kolah but did you think about the names of some breeders/banks?

Elite TopDawg Alien Genetics devils harvest mdanzig,
some of them have stopped me from even looking at their catalog for the Holy connotations thats another one holy smokes.
I've purchased from some that made me think but...like you said they had what I wanted so I bought it.

Even hermis are now accepted because of the name. <-not sure about that but people do say that chems and sd herm right? they are not long flowering sativa' s so I'm skeptical about the name if it isn't crossed to something I must have.

the og kushes are the same this is my first og/kush grow and I dont like the way they grow so any kush/og hybrid is now off my purchase list.

Yeah I agree the name game can be a joke. I do apreciate when you can decipher the lineage from the name. Example, I dislike the name Extrema and choose to call it Heri-D. Seems more accurate.

I feel you on that walter and I think that has caused many a problem.

i love in the movie pinapple express, when ted is naming weed, my all time favorite, "spanish trampoline" hahaha WTF??? ive thrown it in on a few name that seed threads but never took.

I'll pull your finger lol probably never took because everybody watched the movie

I had an Idea a couple years...Godbud and Thunderbud equal Thor. After growing them both seperately I know that is not a cross that would work without a stretchy sativa/hybrid because gb and tb are both squat indicas. so now I have skunk red hair, purple kush and some other stuff that stretch trying to find a fan leaf with character I think c99 might help but wouldn't really fit the name.

i'm back to normal which never was

tschuss

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
I think in the weed world, the name of the strain is just as inportant as bag appeal of the bud itself. It all comes down to marketing and basic human nature patterns. I do marketing for a living. Shit wont sell unless it looks and sounds fire, unless u have bulit a cult following or have a strong street buzz, or ur shit is quality to begin with, but even if it was the bomb, with better name it would sell faster and u would move more units.

Confu...

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I wonder how much time, effort and energy is expended by breeders when they are naming new strains? As a young buck, I always had an interest in commercial sales/ads and marketing. Personally I think names are very important and the more we are exposed to it the more we would like or dislike the name of the strain.

How important are the names of strains? Do certain names get your interest? Are there some names that turn you off? Personally I think it plays a very big part in sales. Of course, I imagine most of us read up the reviews and such to see the specifics of the strain but that initial viewing of the name surely gets our attention or turns us away.

I admit certain names grab my attention more than others. In fact some names I will avoid all together just because of the name. I now that sounds a bit shallow and ridiculous but that's how I feel.

The fruity/edible-like names always get my interest: Blueberry, Pinapple Chunk, Chocolate Thai, etc. LSD always gets my attention too and anything with Kush in the name. Caramelicious and Tangerine Dream are cool. Train Wreck is a good name. Moonshine is quite appealing to me.

Names I dislike: I really dislike the vulgar names: Fuckin Incredible, Alaskan Thunderfuck, Rhinofuck and I also dislike using "God" in strains like God-Bud, Blue God,. ..Then there is God's Pussy, a combo of vulgarity and religion stuff. I just can't imagine 85 year old Granny asking for some God's Pussy....or how about the strain Donkey Dick? " Excuse me Sonny , I need some Donkey Dick?" Then there is a strain named Blueballs. "I am sorry Granny, no Donkey Dick here but I do have Blueballs." Anything with "Cough" in it turns me off. This is not to say it's a bad smoke but the name doesn't really pique my interest. Cat Piss is another odd one as is Brown Bomber (turds)

Some names are supposed to be funny or cutesy but man they sure rub me the wrong way. But some could be entertainingly funny. Like Green Crack and Blockhead . AK47 sounds a bit violent and the strain really doesn't fit the name, IMO. I am not too hip on naming strains after a person either. I know the intention may be in remembrance or in honor but it just doesn't grab me. Maybe because I think people can use a persons name to gain popularity based on the name itself. (although the MJ, Jack Herer lives up to it's name). I am not a big fan of the strain name of Bob Marley or Jerry Garcia.

On another note (wake n bake kicking in here) it would be interesting to write up a short story or poem using all the different names of weed strains....maybe it's been done already.

I agree with you, certain names, especially Blueberry and Lemon really catch my attention. I always read the info about a strain before I buy it, but, the name itself is what causes most people to look at it in the first place. Some people (like me and you) are not into the Donkey Dicks and Pussy whatever, but more into the fruity or sour names. At the same time there are people who don't like the same names as us and they actually like the "sex" names. It basically boils down to personal preferance.

cephalopoda

cephalopoda

interesting thread, i think u are probably right about names having a lot to do whether people are interested or not. i know some names catch my attention far more than others and then when u consider it in the context of appealing to a wide range of ages, its likely that those with vulgar names will only sell to younger gens. cool thread!

Latest posts

Top Bottom