strains ?????and hybrids

• Thread starter CBF
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CBF

CBF

Supporter
last summer had a few discussions on correct terminology in the cannabis field.

we all use the term strain, which is not used in the plant world. also see many callin um strands, LOL

so plants are cultivars, bacterias and such are strains.

we all also use the designation BX when describing a backcross, when in reality the correct BC should be used.

marijuana, is pretty much mexican slang, and yeah tough to kick that habit, we should be usin cannabis in place of MJ.

we continually move forward in seedmakin techniques, i think as a community we should move forward in the use of correct terminology, and we would all be on the same page, present ourselves as knowlegable growers..............

sure theres many others as well, just a few thoughts to chew on

CBF

homebrew420

homebrew420

Couldn't agree more. It makes me mad when I hear folks who I know are great growers and very knowledgeable refer to varieties as Strands. Sounds dumb. But we are lazy and mostly unaware of the proper terms used in AG and Hort industry. Botanical nomenclature is equally important, naming plant part correctly. I feel that just being privy to this info elevates us growers/breeders out of the "Stupid Stoner" status.Just my 2 cents
Well said CBF

Peace

CanadaDank

CanadaDank

I agree. I've started saying cannabis whenever possible. Way more scientific!

true grit

true grit

definitely agreed CBF, but one thing you must take into account is the relative lack of education and knowledge in the cannabis industry. Not meaning that people are dumb or uneducated, but that most of teh actual skill, technique, nomenclature etc has been from black market/underground growth of an industry...not necessarily from a true scientific approach. Though some of us treat it as such, the basic grow skill/ability has just been something inherent through the ages.

I know there have been several groups in Cali working on proper nomenclature for the medical industry, but even after years of work I have seen VERY little improvement. Very good point though

CanadaDank

CanadaDank

definitely agreed CBF, but one thing you must take into account is the relative lack of education and knowledge in the cannabis industry. Not meaning that people are dumb or uneducated, but that most of teh actual skill, technique, nomenclature etc has been from black market/underground growth of an industry...not necessarily from a true scientific approach. Though some of us treat it as such, the basic grow skill/ability has just been something inherent through the ages.

I know there have been several groups in Cali working on proper nomenclature for the medical industry, but even after years of work I have seen VERY little improvement. Very good point though
Good point. But it's only because it has to be this way. There are many legit and well educated people that contribute very positively to society that use cannabis, and I could see them being first in line to change that. And when/if it is legalized, the scientific way will spread like wildfire... Hopefully!

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

sometimes I still have to use the m-word around my mom, or else she might not know what I'm talking about.

nebulius

nebulius

Clones should also be replaced with Cuttings.

I stopped using the term marijuana when I learned it has racial connotations. I really don't like the word marijuana, cannabis sounds so much better to me.

ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Alien Junkie and bush master
Supporter
your soo rite i saw a breeder on you tube calling him self ITC genetics the dude was selling gage green black berry pie s1 seeds and calling them a bx so i pretty much snapped on the dude and told him he didint know what he was talkin about and what a bc really was fuckin lame he deleted the whole vid the dude is a hack imop he basically went to attitude bought a pack from a bout 10 different breeder and just started crosses the shit together and now he sellin these un stable genetics for restarted prices imop . it goes to show its gonna be a hard habbit to break with lames like this out here giving people bad info

henry

henry

you can use the term variety too. probably more appropriate for distinct landraces though. cultivar is used exclusively for cultivated plants (because it's a contraction of the term 'cultivated variety').

iCultivate

iCultivate

I know that strain isn't really appropriate for plants in general, but language evolves and in cannabis horticulture it's now an accepted part of our vocabulary. I use the word strain as I feel it's a word everyone readily understands and relates to.

-- iCultivate --

homebrew420

homebrew420

Variety would be the most appropriate, and "strain" refer to the pheno found within said variety. Maybe.
And don't get me started on the use of the idiotic slang term"strand" what is this some kind of f'ing bacterial, or yeast?
grrr.

Peace

iCultivate

iCultivate

And don't get me started on the use of the idiotic slang term"strand" what is this some kind of f'ing bacterial, or yeast?
grrr.

Tell me about it! Rubs me up the wrong way every time I see it.

-- iCultivate --

Top Bottom