Strains That Yellow In Early Bloom

• Thread starter MushinNoShin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

Okay, so I have a strain that likes to yellow hard and drop all their fan-leaves in early bloom. I have tried Epsom salts, Nitrogen and Cal-Mag. When I fed N I got burning, but leaves continued to yellow. I tried boosting N before the flip and this kept it greener longer, but still started yellowing around week 3 and dropping all of its fans.

Next I will be upping P and K in early bloom and see how that works. I know this is just probably one of those strains, but there has to be a way to keep her green. As the leaves yellow and drop the buds develop rapidly and rather quickly/early. I am convinced if I can keep her green until week 6 I will have some massive colas and yield to match, but just can't figure out how to do that, lol.

Anyone else every have this problem and has anyone found a solution to it?

J

jeff1962

Im running a cut of headband doing the same thing, id like to know..what would fix it..usually a little cal-mag takes care of it..im about 40 days into flower.and last night I had a shit load of bleached looking yellow leaves...

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

Can you send some pics of the medium. Add good shots so we can see the medium and the container very quickly. I suspect the medium is blocking nutrient uptake

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

Can you send some pics of the medium. Add good shots so we can see the medium and the container very quickly. I suspect the medium is blocking nutrient uptake
I'm using Sunshine#4 Advanced Mix, don't have the same problem with other cuts and this is a recurring problem (5 or 6 runs now). I also run straight coco and thought that was the problem, switch to SS#4 Advanced and still having the same problem.

Will take a few shots once it's lights-on.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

Temps 75-79, steady and RH at 50%-60%, descending, with an intentional spike during lights-off.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

Im running a cut of headband doing the same thing, id like to know..what would fix it..usually a little cal-mag takes care of it..im about 40 days into flower.and last night I had a shit load of bleached looking yellow leaves...
Would you happen to be in coco?

sixstring

sixstring

Can you talk more about what nutes your using and the strength of them and do you always feed everything the same or try to tailor it to each plant?have you tried keeping her on veg nutes an extra few weeks?and also are you monitoring runoff levels and if so whats going on there?

Power OG

Power OG

Sounds to me like she's a heavy eater early and may need to adjust ph alil in first few week's of bloom, and I also agree with @sixstring try to tailor her feed specifically for her. You will get her dialed, especially having a check list of what it's not, like N. Do you foliar in early bloom? I do all the way through week 3 and sometimes 4 depending on strain.
Positive Vibes

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

Usually I run Maxibloom with drippers. This run I am only dripping pH'd water and hand feeding to tailor the feed for each strain/cut.

I haven't check my runoff pH or ppm for a couple months because everything is dialed acceptably but this one strain. Your right, tho; that's the first place I need to start. But even when I was monitoring pH and ppms I had the same problems with her.

Right now she is getting Age Old Organics Grow and a little bit of 6/9 GH Micro/Bloom (alternating) @ 600-800 ppm.

Sorry about pic quality

Last edited:
MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

This is Purple Cheddar from Connioseur Genetics, btw and it was every single pheno. I ended-up only keeping one pheno in the end.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

dead-on grape blunt, btw. She gets so trichy that they sometimes glob together and make strands that I initially think are spiderwebs and freak the fk out lol.

Not trichy in the sense that she is glazed-out like some strains/cuts, but she makes these big fat, gooey, globular thricromes.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

I think it's a little too late for this particular girl, but I have 2 more in veg who will be getting flipped over soon. I will post everything here and follow your guys' suggestions and I am certain this issue will be resolved.

SS#4 Advanced Mix, 3 gallon grow bag, 2 clones per pot (I know, but it really utilizes my sq. footage and ups my yield).

@sixstring I have tried extending veg nutes into bloom, but only for a week if memory serves and I believe it did make a difference. How long would you recommend I extend veg nutes for this next run? Was going to use MaxiGro for simplicity sake.

ClassV

ClassV

I ran into the same thing with RP Sour Kush, AKA Headband in Coco. Everything was gangbusters until week 6 of 12/12, then the yellowing. Looks just like an S deficiency, then begins showing Mg deficiency. Got hit with it in two separate runs. Added calmag the second time through, but it only helped a little bit. Tried Epsom and it seemed to get worse. The buds were okay, but the leaves went to hell by harvest time. On the second run my main mission was merely to keep the leaves green going into week 9. Didn't happen.

The strain is a very light feeder, so I am wondering if it is a nute antagonism thing between K and Ca, or K and S, that did not show up with Heavier feeding strains? I use GH three part. My well water comes in at > .05 EC. CaMg+ for calmag.

Last edited:
G

greyman41420

I have seen yellowing in a couple of strains and the two fixes were 1) addition of cal mag to absurd levels and this is on a few OG's and the Gorilla Glue and 2) on OGraskals fire og cut, if you don't have the PH right at 6.0 she yellows out. That fire og was the most finicky plant i ever grew. i felt like she was always angry at me.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

I ran into the same thing with RP Sour Kush, AKA Headband in Coco. Everything was gangbusters until week 6 of 12/12, then the yellowing. Looks just like an S deficiency, then begins showing Mg deficiency. Got hit with it in two separate runs. Added calmag the second time through, but it only helped a little bit. Tried Epsom and it seemed to get worse. The buds were okay, but the leaves went to hell by harvest time. On the second run my main mission was merely to keep the leaves green going into week 9. Didn't happen.

The strain is a very light feeder, so I am wondering if it is a nute antagonism thing between K and Ca, or K and S, that did not show up with Heavier feeding strains? I use GH three part. My well water comes in at > .05 EC. CaMg+ for calmag.
Same experience! Thought I had S deficiency, hit her with the epsoms and it seemed to just get worse. I'm trying Jack's Classic 10-30-20 this go around, see how it works.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

I have seen yellowing in a couple of strains and the two fixes were 1) addition of cal mag to absurd levels and this is on a few OG's and the Gorilla Glue and 2) on OGraskals fire og cut, if you don't have the PH right at 6.0 she yellows out. That fire og was the most finicky plant i ever grew. i felt like she was always angry at me.
I'll admit; I feed at 5.5, sometimes at 5.2. When I feed CalMag I bring it up to 5.8-6.2. I use to always feed/water at 5.8-6.0, but found much better results and a more immediate, positive response from my girls with a lower pH.

ralphy

ralphy

I had a black mamba that used to drop her shade leaves by week 6. Every other strain in the room would keep their leaves so it was definitely the genetics. I tried upping the adjusting the levels of various salts, if it made a difference it wasn't noticeable to me.

In the end I gave up trying to remedy it.

Thing is though this girl was the heaviest yielder by a mile, and the quality was next to none. So I figured maybe the plant was putting its energy from the fan leaves into the buds ( dont know if it works like that, I know leaves are both a source and sink of energy), and I just let it be..

Have you noticed how this strain yields compared to others?

ClassV

ClassV

Good question. The yield was similar to or better than I got with runs of AK48 and NL respectively. I ran two little SKs in the same setup, nutes, lighting, etc… that I used with those strains, and the leaves on the SK were pretty much tits up by the end of week nine of a ten week strain. And that is not what I was going for by any means. The smell was not what it should have been, and the buds were not perfect, but the potency was impressive and the taste was pretty damn good. That's why I grew it again! :D

It’s not as bad on this run, because I haven’t gone overboard chasing it… but it’s still a foliage nosedive. PH has been relatively stable… no salt buildup. I’ve been trying to puzzle it out.

ClassV

ClassV

Same experience! Thought I had S deficiency, hit her with the epsoms and it seemed to just get worse. I'm trying Jack's Classic 10-30-20 this go around, see how it works.

It has stumped me twice with my SKs. Hope this next tweak with the Jack's gets you tuned into it, man!

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

I had a black mamba that used to drop her shade leaves by week 6. Every other strain in the room would keep their leaves so it was definitely the genetics. I tried upping the adjusting the levels of various salts, if it made a difference it wasn't noticeable to me.

In the end I gave up trying to remedy it.

Thing is though this girl was the heaviest yielder by a mile, and the quality was next to none. So I figured maybe the plant was putting its energy from the fan leaves into the buds ( dont know if it works like that, I know leaves are both a source and sink of energy), and I just let it be..

I noticed that exact same thing too. It is almost as if the energy goes straight to the buds, as soon as they fade, buds bulk up. There is a direct correlation with bud development and the fading fan leaves with this strain. I figure if I can get her more food then she'll bulk even more.

Top Bottom