Strawberries

• Thread starter mr roboto
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mr roboto

mr roboto

Does anyone have experience in growing strawberries when the time is right? I will probably be using roots or ffof and want to mainly stay organic. I also have some big bloom (which is pretty much my only organic stuff I have to feed my plants) and plan on using just that and water. Will this be enough till harvest?

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

I vegged my strawberries all summer 2 build a huge root mass in my outdoor soil bed & I'll cover them this winter with a small green house & next spring I should have a mega strawberry harvest.. I've read on there 2nd year u get ur strawberries.. This is the 1st year I'm trying this..

mr roboto

mr roboto

thanks goo! Im gonna try the same thing if they take 2 years ....some crazy veg times.I was bored and ordered some white strawberry and regular seeds. what do you feed your with in veg?

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

I juss mixed up some of my old soil & feed them what ever free samples I get from the grow stores.. I juss give them what ever I happen 2 have around.. I juss grow home depot strawberry plants & every yr I get tiny berries not like the giant strawberries I get at the corner.. My harvests were never good so I googled how 2 grow them & found out I need 2 keep them alive 4 more then 1 cycle

mr roboto

mr roboto

everything that ive searched for comes up with so many different ways and seems confusing after growing meds. I wanna stick with organics for the straws

Ritual

Ritual

Strawberries come back every year and survive mildly cold temperatures, they are also fairly simple to grow (at least in my neck of the woods) we keep a patch in our garden, and a patch up close to the house for the chickens. Here they produce from Early/mid spring on into mid/late fall

Last edited:
organicpanic

organicpanic

What goo said works well. First year pull all flowers to force energy for root and plant mass. Theres the everbearers and spring bearers. Spring bearers are the big fat store bought type.Everbearers or alpine types are smaller and esually sweeter imo. I always like to run both types.

Topofthecrop

Topofthecrop

I have one tip. Your soil should be enough for them. They burn easy. Especially the first year. They grow wild with no nutes just fine.

mr roboto

mr roboto

I bought some white strawberries just because the picture looked so nice that I bought some already vegged a little bit but I burnt them up with some old fox farm soil. I guess when it warms up i'll try again at least my green beans and soy beans are still growing nicely.

Topofthecrop

Topofthecrop

I put some strawberries in 707 and didn't feed them with nothing but tap and rain water and they loved it. I really don't know much about soy but I know green beans need a ton of N so I'm sure it did go well with that type of nutrients. Good luck next time.

Ritual

Ritual

I actually think green beans and most of the legumes give off nitrogen, so it is not necessary to give them much if any n, definately not a ton. However i plant my tomatoes where ever my beans were planted the previous year with very satisfactory results. (The n given off by the beans the previous year makes them grow great and minimizes my feeding)

Topofthecrop

Topofthecrop

I actually think green beans and most of the legumes give off nitrogen, so it is not necessary to give them much if any n, definately not a ton. However i plant my tomatoes where ever my beans were planted the previous year with very satisfactory results. (The n given off by the beans the previous year makes them grow great and minimizes my feeding)
I grew mine in pots. Maybe it makes a difference but I know my green beans yellowed from bottom up.

Ritual

Ritual

I grew mine in pots. Maybe it makes a difference but I know my green beans yellowed from bottom up.

Could be trace elements? Also too most green bean seedlings go through a short yellowing phase but will green back up after a couple weeks (colder climate = longer yellowing period) l hope this is helpful

Topofthecrop

Topofthecrop

It could be a lot of things and could go on forever talking about it. But I fed an EWC 24-28 hr or so tea and the color came right back. I also use azomite and or tm-7 from bio-ag before I plant anything. It was indoor in a tent. Figured it was N just from the high N in earth worm casting. The tea ended up getting things correct almost over night. But I will do more research and see if green beans can ever become N deficient. Thank you though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom