Stroking buds increases size/density

• Thread starter mmmdankbuds420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

Ok so before the haters start hating, I DO NOT endorse this method... yet.
Let me brief everybody real quick. I have only heard of this method from one source. Some grower I ran across on facebook that supposedly went to Oaksterdam university, called himself "flying swordsman" or something like that. He claimed that stroking your buds with a loose grip in an upwards motion would bulk up your buds. I immediately tossed this idea to the curb thinking this guy was smoking crack. But after laughing about it again later I got to thinking and trying to understand if it could be a possible super cropping method. The biggest flaw 90% of growers have is they won't consider new ideas. I'm new to the game as it is so its not hard for me to try new or weird things, but stroking your buds? But anyways I started trying to understand this method. As I'm sure everybody knows, fans pushing around a plant will help the branches become more sturdy and strong. This is due to tiny fractures or cracks that are made from the bending of the branches. And these little fractures heal up stronger then they were previous. I then compared this action to building muscle. When somebody works out they "tear" their muscles and then the tears fill with scar tissue and then heal up slightly larger than before. This is the concept I had in mind when considering this method. If I were lightly stroking my buds could I be "tearing" my buds and they are healing back fatter/denser? I mean just look at when you pinch a stem, then it heals back twice as fat as before. I would though worry about destructing all of my beautiful trichomes as I was stroking. So to combat that issue I would stroke very lightly and try to touch as little bud as possible, trying to only graze the leaves, also I would assume you would stop stroking 2 or 3 weeks prior to harvest.
Can anybody shed some scientific evidence on this? Or experience? Or even let me know if what i think makes sense or if i need to lay off the dabs. I will definitey be trying some sort of experimentation with this idea on my next grow. Thanks a lot everybody for reading through all my crap. Happy growing! :)

tweedy

tweedy

I think that your comparing it to a form of super cropping is fair and to be honest, who is really that concerned if this method is only employed up until the showing of oils. You can't damage a trich that isnt there yet :)

Also, if this advice came from the flying dutchman I would be more apt to follow it. Not endorsing him as a breeder but I have had his pot of gold and it was a fine fine plant.

tweedy

tweedy

I believe that once the flowers itself are damaged there is no healing back
The flowers are completely different than the stems and leaves
I guess I should clarify then. I would only advocate trying this method if someone were to STOP as soon as the actual buds have set. I don't think you'd accomplish anything post stretch and flower set.

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

Sounds retarded to me. Never would I recommend this. Outdoor you can make "trill bombs" as we call them. Hash off arms scraped into Reese's peanut butter cup wrappers and devoured. When your out on a hill for a bit you don't give a fuck

ttystikk

ttystikk

I do something that's distantly related to this; I bend my branches down and outward, so that once vertical spears become almost horizontal. The side branches then start shooting up, so they get bent down too, resulting in a broad, flat surface of canopy where once there was just a stick.

This technique also relies on strategic 'damage' or 'exercise' of branches to get them to bend down. @medman has a more in depth description of the technique in his thread, but basically you just gently but firmly bend the branches over, coming back to repeat several times over several days until the desired shape is reached.

You are damaging the plant by bending it, but there it's no denying that it comes back the stronger for it. That may be due to the injury, or the vigor that comes from getting more light, but it works. And boy, does this trick multiply bud sites...

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

I do something that's distantly related to this; I bend my branches down and outward, so that once vertical spears become almost horizontal. The side branches then start shooting up, so they get bent down too, resulting in a broad, flat surface of canopy where once there was just a stick.

This technique also relies on strategic 'damage' or 'exercise' of branches to get them to bend down. @medman has a more in depth description of the technique in his thread, but basically you just gently but firmly bend the branches over, coming back to repeat several times over several days until the desired shape is reached.

You are damaging the plant by bending it, but there it's no denying that it comes back the stronger for it. That may be due to the injury, or the vigor that comes from getting more light, but it works. And boy, does this trick multiply bud sites...

That's the same thing I do...but I wouldn't say it was in any way like "stroking" your buds lol. WTF are people gonna come up with next...stroking your buds...yeah right. MGG

tweedy

tweedy

How can you "stroke the buds" if you stop your stroking as soon as the actual buds have set? LOL. MGG
That is what the clarification is for, I do not support the man handling of flowers but can see a variation of this technique proving worth exploration before flower set. Hence the statement. If constructive thought processes in pursuit of helping the OP make you laugh I'm sorry. I just try to steer farmers in the right direction here and there.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

It has always been my experience that plants love attention. Although it was impossible to suppress a snicker when I read the thread, I wouldn't discount this technique without trying it.
I bet the state employees monitoring the dispensary grows in Colorado would get a kick out of watching this in action... Somehow it smacks of a giant practical joke.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think I remember reading that @Seamaiden squeezes her buds while they are growing..
Not positive though
:D Thigmotropism. I'll give some buds a squeeze, just to feel how they're doing, but I don't do it to all the buds. I don't even utilize thigmotropism. :o

Here's some science for folks to start the day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom