Strong nutrient solution

• Thread starter FarmerJoe
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FarmerJoe

I normally give my flowering plants GHE 60ml gro, 120ml micro, 180ml bloom and 400ml biobizz topmax per 200litres after they have been flowering for 3 weeks. But decided to keep the gro at 180ml like it was in vegative growth. My plants seem to look alot greener and healthier, but I want to change it even more and up the micro to 180 aswell. So in the end it would be 180-180-180ml per 200litre. I'm not sure if I should bother or not. Also I'm growing in soil.

A

acubus

When I was using GH 3 part, whatever ratios I was feeding M was always half of the V and B added together. I myself whouldn't go to heavy on the veg at this stage as buds should just be setting up....something like 1.5-2-2.5 ratio might serve you better at this stage. GH's feed chart seemed to work pretty well for most...at least the ratios the PPM depening on lighting etc.

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
So you have like a 52 gallon reservoir.. That seems to be a pretty weak solution mix up for your GH 3 part.. Not very aggressive imo.. I use this for my 40 gallon res.

Here is the nutrient regimen I use and how I control PH with little or no ph up or down...

So OK - feeding schedule week by week. This is the GH weekly feeding program, slightly tweaked. I will only call out the volume of each part per gallon of water in the following manner: grow, micro, bloom, ppm range. Example - 5-2.5-2.5-400/800 would mean 5 ml grow, 2.5 ml micro, 2.5 ml bloom and a ppm of 400-880. Remember it's per gallon. You Euro's can easily convert to liters. 4 liters is just a little bit over 1 gallon. It should also be noted that I use the hardwater micro due to my tapwater. I suggest using the hardwater micro in place of the regular micro if your tap water is over 200 ppm total or you have over 70 ppm Ca. RO water users should use the regular micro.
Veg -
week 1 5-2.5-2.5-400/600
week 2 10-5-3- 600/800
week 3 12-6-3 800/1000 (continue week 3 formula if additional veg time is required.)

Bloom
week 1 6-6-10- 800/1200
week 2 3-7-12 - 1000/1400
week 3 3-8-14 - 1000/1400
week 4 3-8-16 - 1000/1400
week 5 (discussed in detail below*)
week 6 0-7-20 - 1000/1400
week 7 0-6-20 (see bleow**)
* During week 5 if not using a booster like Superbud, Bushmaster Kabloom etc. run 2.5-7-18. I use MOAB (Mother of All Blooms) or BushMaster at 50% of recommended strength, and use 1.25-3.5-9 for the fert base.
**If running an 8 week strain you should only run the ferts during week 7 for a maximum of 3-4 days. This gives you 10 days for flushing.

The ppms work out almost exactly. I tend to lean toward the lower side of the range, unless I have a really heavy feeder that I know can handle it.

At every ressy change out I add in 5 drops per gallon of 35% food grade H2O2. During flush use ph adjusted water at 5.5-6.0
I will add epsom salt at week 1 of bloom if the plants are heavy feeders AND I see signs of an Mg def. Otherwise I won't use it. The only time I have ever had Mg def is during transition. The GH 3 part is a little low on Mg, but the PBP and Canna nutes are way lower.

Now- how to control your PH...
There are a couple factors that cause your PH to drift. The most common is running the nute solution too strong or too weak. If it's too strong, your PH drops. If it's too weak the PH rises. You have to find the balance point. If you find that the formula above is say, a little strong, and say you have a 20 gallon ressy, mix the nutes for 18 gallons. If it's a little weak, mix it for 22 gallons. You follow?
The other common mistake is mixing your nutrient solution and trying to adjust the PH right away. You have to allow time for the ph buffers in the nutrient solution to do their job. Mix the nutes up, and bubble or circulate for 12 hours before even looking at your PH. You will find the PH to be almost right on target.
I use little or no ph adjusters. (Except during flush). I use tap water, with a starting PPM of 300-400 and a starting PH of 7.4-9.0 (Thats crazy you say! The water is too hard, you will never get stable PH and you will have too much Ca, causing a lockout of Mg!) Bollocks I say.
Every week, on Friday I drain the ressy and fill with plain water. I let that run overnight giving the plants a little flush. This also allows the chlorine and ammonia to evap. On Saturday morning, I mix the nutes into the ressy. I DO NOT adjust ph at this time. Let that run as is overnight. On Sunday morning, I check ph and adjust if needed. Usually don't have to.
Doing things this way has saved me from constant PH drifts, and using about 150 ml of ph down every ressy change, and a little here and there throughout the week to keep it in the desired range. Now, the most I ever have to use is about 30 ml.if any at all. (I have a 35 gallon ressy btw) My Ph stays at a constant 5.5-5.8.

F

FarmerJoe

So you have like a 52 gallon reservoir.. That seems to be a pretty weak solution mix up for your GH 3 part.. Not very aggressive imo.. I use this for my 40 gallon res.

Here is the nutrient regimen I use and how I control PH with little or no ph up or down...

So OK - feeding schedule week by week. This is the GH weekly feeding program, slightly tweaked. I will only call out the volume of each part per gallon of water in the following manner: grow, micro, bloom, ppm range. Example - 5-2.5-2.5-400/800 would mean 5 ml grow, 2.5 ml micro, 2.5 ml bloom and a ppm of 400-880. Remember it's per gallon. You Euro's can easily convert to liters. 4 liters is just a little bit over 1 gallon. It should also be noted that I use the hardwater micro due to my tapwater. I suggest using the hardwater micro in place of the regular micro if your tap water is over 200 ppm total or you have over 70 ppm Ca. RO water users should use the regular micro.
Veg -
week 1 5-2.5-2.5-400/600
week 2 10-5-3- 600/800
week 3 12-6-3 800/1000 (continue week 3 formula if additional veg time is required.)

Bloom
week 1 6-6-10- 800/1200
week 2 3-7-12 - 1000/1400
week 3 3-8-14 - 1000/1400
week 4 3-8-16 - 1000/1400
week 5 (discussed in detail below*)
week 6 0-7-20 - 1000/1400
week 7 0-6-20 (see bleow**)
* During week 5 if not using a booster like Superbud, Bushmaster Kabloom etc. run 2.5-7-18. I use MOAB (Mother of All Blooms) or BushMaster at 50% of recommended strength, and use 1.25-3.5-9 for the fert base.
**If running an 8 week strain you should only run the ferts during week 7 for a maximum of 3-4 days. This gives you 10 days for flushing.

The ppms work out almost exactly. I tend to lean toward the lower side of the range, unless I have a really heavy feeder that I know can handle it.

At every ressy change out I add in 5 drops per gallon of 35% food grade H2O2. During flush use ph adjusted water at 5.5-6.0
I will add epsom salt at week 1 of bloom if the plants are heavy feeders AND I see signs of an Mg def. Otherwise I won't use it. The only time I have ever had Mg def is during transition. The GH 3 part is a little low on Mg, but the PBP and Canna nutes are way lower.

Now- how to control your PH...
There are a couple factors that cause your PH to drift. The most common is running the nute solution too strong or too weak. If it's too strong, your PH drops. If it's too weak the PH rises. You have to find the balance point. If you find that the formula above is say, a little strong, and say you have a 20 gallon ressy, mix the nutes for 18 gallons. If it's a little weak, mix it for 22 gallons. You follow?
The other common mistake is mixing your nutrient solution and trying to adjust the PH right away. You have to allow time for the ph buffers in the nutrient solution to do their job. Mix the nutes up, and bubble or circulate for 12 hours before even looking at your PH. You will find the PH to be almost right on target.
I use little or no ph adjusters. (Except during flush). I use tap water, with a starting PPM of 300-400 and a starting PH of 7.4-9.0 (Thats crazy you say! The water is too hard, you will never get stable PH and you will have too much Ca, causing a lockout of Mg!) Bollocks I say.
Every week, on Friday I drain the ressy and fill with plain water. I let that run overnight giving the plants a little flush. This also allows the chlorine and ammonia to evap. On Saturday morning, I mix the nutes into the ressy. I DO NOT adjust ph at this time. Let that run as is overnight. On Sunday morning, I check ph and adjust if needed. Usually don't have to.
Doing things this way has saved me from constant PH drifts, and using about 150 ml of ph down every ressy change, and a little here and there throughout the week to keep it in the desired range. Now, the most I ever have to use is about 30 ml.if any at all. (I have a 35 gallon ressy btw) My Ph stays at a constant 5.5-5.8.

Thanks for the detailed post, should help me out alot and will give it a try on a few of my new plants to see how they like it. Heres my current plants at 3 weeks bloom, taken under the light so not a good picture.

Basically I don't have a reservoir I just poor my filtered tap water into a 200litre drum and mix up a solution then pump it to the bottom of the plants. I do this straight away and you mention letting the solution settle for 12 hours for PH, should I bother or not I normally just PH it straight away and water straight away.

P10 03 08 0231
darksideX

darksideX

fat post greenthumbdanny..you are rockin' ur girlz damn well bro!:rock
..at my last grow i tried to feed my ladyz the lucas formula,which contains only micro & bloom,..now i'm gonna try something like the luc form,..only with 3 components..
and i have to say,since i try around with the hydro stuff,i alwayz try'd to keep the minimum,..but i'm only a noob.. testin' yet,.. some girlz like it,some not..i don't care about yield,..taste & health are all it'z about for me,imo.. so i fed my girlz with 4,5 of all per gal,with a ph 'bout 5.8 and addin' some molasses at the end....in coco
hf fellaz..

R

Reeferman

You require some N in flower its false that it can be cut out not true at all but that formula might have the ladies looking fine but when your plants are flowering there energy should not be on veg production but in flower production this is why leaves tend to yellow and look a little rough when you feed a well balanced flowering formula .
despite the way they look you are not doing any favors to your plant at 180-180-180 mls .
Your initial formula was still slightly high 30 -120 -180 is more ideal in my experience I am feeding 3 -35-11 at the moment and things look perfect .

Just a little simple advice I will do a thread soon on feeding plants in different mediums at different stages of veg and flower .
~reef~

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks for the detailed post, should help me out alot and will give it a try on a few of my new plants to see how they like it. Heres my current plants at 3 weeks bloom, taken under the light so not a good picture.

Basically I don't have a reservoir I just poor my filtered tap water into a 200litre drum and mix up a solution then pump it to the bottom of the plants. I do this straight away and you mention letting the solution settle for 12 hours for PH, should I bother or not I normally just PH it straight away and water straight away.

trying to adjust the PH right away is a problem for some people. You have to allow time for the ph buffers in the nutrient solution to do their job.. I dont know how much PH Up or Down you are having to use to get your Ph in satisfactory range..That stuff is ACID like.. Dumping to much of that stuff is not good and will cause probs. Are you having PH swings? Are you having to add PH up/down a lot?
Doing it the above mentioned way my PH stays stable 5.8-6.0.. I use about 15ml of PH up for my 40 gallon res each reservoir change. Stable as hell doing it this way..

Reef, are you using any type of bud booster? Also wondering why you are using more micro than bloom:)

GTD

Top Bottom